TW200 Forum banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Mrs. Admiral and I were just to announce us going and spending a few days late September but a family situation came up and we're not able too. Hopefully, next spring. It's been so long since spring 2019.

2019? How about since 2015? 😕

Moab 2015 First Report 046 (1).JPG

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have decided that I am in for the next Moab trip regardless of how I have to get there or what I have to rent/ride. You only live once and 2020 is a good reminder for many many reasons and losses.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I have decided that I am in for the next Moab trip regardless of how I have to get there or what I have to rent/ride. You only live once and 2020 is a good reminder for many many reasons and losses.
You won't regret that...the only thing I regret is not getting back sooner since my last visit in 2015...but I had so many great adventures with Borneo, Montezuma, Effanflood, and others I can't complain too much...

Reactions: Sthrnromr

·
Registered
165 Posts
Reading up on MOAB here, ADVrider, etc.....the White Rim Trail seems to be the most talked about "Need to ride". I just stumbled upon the Top of the World Trail on Google.....surprised I hadn't heard anything of it 'til now.

Questions for you that have ridden MOAB. I do realize MOAB is a vast amount of square miles of riding. Does your meet-up trips there include riding White Rim Trail, or the Top of the World Trail?

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Reading up on MOAB here, ADVrider, etc.....the White Rim Trail seems to be the most talked about "Need to ride". I just stumbled upon the Top of the World Trail on Google.....surprised I hadn't heard anything of it 'til now.

Questions for you that have ridden MOAB. I do realize MOAB is a vast amount of square miles of riding. Does your meet-up trips there include riding White Rim Trail, or the Top of the World Trail?
WRT is ridden by someone in our TW group almost every year. Not everyone rides it though. Unless it has changed, you need a free permit. There is plenty of information with details I cannot remember. All I can say is I obtained the permit on my iPhone and took a screenshot of the permit. I believe this is permissible. You can also obtain a permit from Canyonlands NP (Island in the Sky for instance). Views are awesome and is a long day ride (at the recommended posted speed limit wink wink). Watch out for mountain bike tours.

Several of us have ridden TOW. It's technically more difficult than WRT for comparison and is east of Moab. In past years, we haven't ridden TOW/Dome Plateau as often as there are more trails closer into Moab so you don't have to ride or trailer as far. The day we rode TOW we also rode Dome Plateau trails in the morning to make it a full day of riding. You can ride out there from Moab (we trailered the TW's) but you may want to have plenty of gas if doing more riding out there. The view from the cliff at the top is awesome.
Also in the area is Onion Creek and a big loop from Onion Creek up by the LaSal Mtn Loop back into Moab is another not to technical ride with lots of scenery.

Several members including myself have posted our rides including the ones you are asking about with pictures and videos.

Trails not to miss riding are too numerous to mention. There's a ton of good places and trails to ride and fun with many at different skill levels.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
The White Rim Trail is not difficult at all, is a nice long loop that is close to town . Thus its popularity and the inception of a permit system a few years ago to limit number of daily visitors.
Seasonal issues near the Mineral Bottom end of either high water & monsoonal run-off, or conversely dry weather and traffic that pounds silt beds into deep flour can challenge a TW. Otherwise for most of the year a careful driver could do it in a Subaru. Not so for Top of the World.
Similarly most of the listed Jeep Trails are very gnarly and not suitable for a stock Jeep or intermediate skill level TW rider riding alone. Try those with buddies to assist when necessary with tall ledges and other obstacles.

·
Super Moderator
5,443 Posts
We/they tend to make it up as we/they go along – there’s no set routine, and various groups can split off and do what they want to. Most of the next day is planned by early evening, then minds change over a few brews around the camp fire – then the mornings weather gets factored in – you get the idea

You could spend a month a year in Moab, and still never get all the rides done – best to put your ambitions in “park” mode, and just go with the flow. Moab presents enough challenges without trying to fit everything you saw in a holiday brochure in (that’s just the tip of the iceberg)

Every TW rider should experience Moab at least once, just to put the bike (and rider) through their paces. But go at your own speed, not Freds - (you’ve seen the Road Runner cartoons)

Go – ride – survive – and have something to tell your grand kids about …..

·
Registered
165 Posts
This was asked if I were to come to the next MOAB group ride. Appreciate the replies, all informative! (y)

Reactions: Hoot Gibson

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Get the Ball Rolling.... 👍 :devilish:

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a new dirt rider/long time street rider, this Moab thing looks and sounds scary to me. I don't mind being laughed at, but I don't want to be laughed at while I am crying.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Crying makes it that much funnier! Besides, you’re in good company. I think the TW200 carries the most new riders out of any other bike on the market. Also, I‘m a, basically, completely new rider and have fallen down plenty of times learning to ride on dirt so... yeah, in good company!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Agreed. Am I reading the first post correctly? Current date is Dates: 20-26 April, 2020?

Thanks!
It was, but Covid got in the way.

Slick rock is easy to ride, you just need to get over your fear of sliding.
Sand, well to some it is the devil work, to other it is God‘S gift of fun for an ATV tire.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It was, but Covid got in the way.

Slick rock is easy to ride, you just need to get over your fear of sliding.
Sand, well to some it is the devil work, to other it is God‘S gift of fun for an ATV tire.
Sand is most definitely DEVIL’S work!!!!!

141 - 155 of 155 Posts