TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You mean you would have to spend some time sampling the brewery products ?

The ignominy - the tragedy - the injustice - (hic) .......
Well, I guess I wouldn't have to but I know that I would irregardless. I will have to post a picture of my chuck box. It's covered with brewery stickers from the West. And I haven't made a dent in the list yet. I might add though that Moab has a nice brewery as well.
Mikey

·
Registered
836 Posts
Well, I guess I wouldn't have to but I know that I would irregardless. I will have to post a picture of my chuck box. It's covered with brewery stickers from the West. And I haven't made a dent in the list yet. I might add though that Moab has a nice brewery as well.
Mikey
I can second that. I am a fan of Moab Brewery for a few reasons. The beer, the food and the beer to go. Great place.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I can second that. I am a fan of Moab Brewery for a few reasons. The beer, the food and the beer to go. Great place.
I wonder if it's a state issue but the beer sold over the counter at the brewery has to be kept at a specific alcohol level where the canned beer for off-site sales can be a higher alcohol level. But I agree, the food and the beer is top notch. It's also kind of fun to see the parking lot. A bit of an overland expo show with all the neat bikes and four wheelers.
Mikey

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I wonder if it's a state issue but the beer sold over the counter at the brewery has to be kept at a specific alcohol level where the canned beer for off-site sales can be a higher alcohol level. But I agree, the food and the beer is top notch. It's also kind of fun to see the parking lot. A bit of an overland expo show with all the neat bikes and four wheelers.
Mikey
Mormon state. Beer can be no more than 4% when served and if you are in the restaurant and order a flight you will only get 1 at a time. We also love going to the brewery.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mike, Are you still looking at April 9-16 for the dates?

·
Super Moderator
14,343 Posts
So far, I have not changed the dates.
I'm pretty sure I can make it if the dates are still 9-16 April. I'll have to leave on the 14th or 15th.
I'll be dry camping in my popup truck camper (Mrs. Admiral still working so can't make it). Do you have a camping area(s) in mind yet. I'm sure there will still be plenty of people down there even with Jeep Week done and gone.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hope to make it down a few days myself. There are a lot more trailers campers with Covid than years past. Just an FYI

·
Super Moderator
14,343 Posts
Hope to make it down a few days myself. There are a lot more trailers campers with Covid than years past. Just an FYI
Yeah, I wasn't blaming 'rona for the crowds. Out on the trails, it wasn't bad but at camp on Willow Springs, the crowd seemed to grow every year and not just a little each year but a lot. In 2019 we had people driving right into the middle of our camp to stay without even asking. ...and it happened 3 or more times. Even Archview was dang near a deserted camp the first 2 years and then completely packed the next couple of years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't blaming 'rona for the crowds. Out on the trails, it wasn't bad but at camp on Willow Springs, the crowd seemed to grow every year and not just a little each year but a lot. In 2019 we had people driving right into the middle of our camp to stay without even asking. ...and it happened 3 or more times. Even Archview was dang near a deserted camp the first 2 years and then completely packed the next couple of years.
Glad to hear that you are going to be able to make it Kris. I suggest that we try out the area you suggested for last years aborted trip near Green River. Wilson Creek has become a zoo.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would be really surprised if you even found a camp spot on Willow Springs. Probably have to stay farther North around Klondike Bluffs. Even White Sands area was packed when we rode it last month

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not sure of my exact arrival/departure dates, but I'm planning to head out for at least some of the April 9-16 week. Is Castle Valley east of Moab too far from many trails? I've stayed a few times around there, most recently boondocking on the south end.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Probably as good a time as ever to discuss where to stay. I was thinking of the BLM campground on the road to Canyonlands NP. I have stayed there before and it is just before you turn off the main road to Mineral Bottom which connects to the White Rim Trail. Though that CG is a bit small and it could be a challenge to find spots for everyone.

On another trip, I stayed at an older RV park on the north edge of town and that was great but costly. One of the rides Mo and I did from there took us west and on that ride we passed some CG's along the way. They were south of the river offered little but did seem to have quite a bit of space for camping. I will need to track down the name of that route.

And of course I am certainly open to suggestions from others who are familiar with the area and may have some ideas on spots to rest our weary bones each evening. I also understand that with the Virus still being active, it could be an issue finding a suitable spot. I am thinking of convincing Mo of the need for a road trip and going out there early and scouting some spots. So send your suggestions and we will try and get out to see what's available. Keep in mind that in the interest of saving a few bucks, we will probably drive our 2WD Rav 4 rather than the more gas hungry Tundra for a scouting trip. So Again, send me your suggestions.
Mikey

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've camped along the CO River upstream of Moab on Hwy 191 in BLM(?) paid campsites long ago, though these are right next to the busy road. I was boondocking at the spot pictured below in late July last summer, on the south end of Castle Valley. There were only two other vehicles at that time, though it was far from peak season. One of the other rigs was a ~25' trailer. Lots of short cedar trees, could be a challenge for very long rigs.

There's another small campsite about halfway between that one and 191, 15 miles closer to Moab: Castleton Tower primitive campsite (free?): Utah Open Lands - Castleton Tower Preserve and Campground
About the same distance is Upper Onion Creek Campground (not free): Upper Onion Creek campground

I will be towing a teardrop trailer, about 15' overall length. I really need to look up routes I would like to ride. Keep in mind I'm a very new rider, still have the price tag on my ear. Shafer Trail, Long Canyon Road are ones I've heard of. I don't have provisions yet for extra fuel, which sounds like a requirement for the White Rim Trail. Can that be done in a day?

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
I believe technically still required by state law for operation on public roads. However not required for the trails. The shear number of in-town un-plated Side-by-Side traffic makes me think anything that brings money into the local economy is good and thus tolerated if done responsibly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It also needs to be plated to ride inside the Park boundaries. So if you want to ride through Arches or take the ride through Canyonlands and up the switchbacks, it's on Park "roads" and one needs to be street legal to ride on roads. Plus, almost anywhere we ride, you need to travel on streets or highways a short distance to get to the trails.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts