TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

MOAB Adventure, 2021

18K views 159 replies 24 participants last post by  Pupsocket 
#1 ·
I am thinking it's time to start a new post for a Moab trip in 2021. Lot's of great information in the earlier posts and they should probably be reviewed but new comments hopefully will go here. Mo and I are looking at heading out to Moab in mid May and spending about a week. We may spend some of that time at one of the BLM campgrounds near Canyonlands NP. I am looking forward to riding the WRT as well as Long Valley then possibly moving camp eslewhere to ride some other trails. As stated in other posts, there is no shortage of trails to explore around town.

I find that I am much more comfortable when I can have a trailer/camper to base out of but I am self contained and do not need hookups. My goal would be to have a mutual gathering point and then folks can make their own decisions on where they want to ride to (I do recommend that there be at least two riders on a ride though).

Checking the annual climate for Moab shows average temps for April is 72/42 and May is 83/50 after that it gets quite a bit warmer. The other option would be fall with September being 87/53 and October being 73/41. Keep in mind that last year Moab was pretty much closed up to people who lived outside of the county. Hopefully we won't run into this policy for 2021.

As an added attraction, I am planning on spending an additional week or so on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon either before or after Moab. Mo and I have spent quite a bit of time in both areas and can help with finding scenic riding areas to explore. Also, this will not be solely limited to TW's as I will probably be riding my KLR or KLX400, Mo will be on her TW though. I will also have a fair amount of tools and a compressor. So let me know what you think of a TW Moab Adventure

See less See more
#2 ·
Tenative Dates?
Looking at my calendar, I have conditionally set a date of April 9 - 16. I see that the Easter Jeep safari is set for the last few day in March and the first three days in April so we won't be in conflict with that event.
So let me know if these dates work for others.
Mikey

#3 ·
I should be good to go by mid-May. I have a truck-camper and self contained; need zero hook ups, I have enough water, toilet, electricity (solar and generator) plus groceries and probably gas for the trip. I'll bring my TW200 and I'll likely flat tow my Suzuki Samurai for side trips with Mrs. Pro if she chooses to join me on the trip. If she doesn't join me, I can easily tow a trailer if there's anyone with a need to do so. I carry my TW on a front mount reciever hitch rack.

#5 ·
FYI, Trails are some times chewed up after jeep week.
I doubt the border will be open by this Spring, but I am hoping for the fall.

#8 ·
I am thinking it's time to start a new post for a Moab trip in 2021. Lot's of great information in the earlier posts and they should probably be reviewed but new comments hopefully will go here. Mo and I are looking at heading out to Moab in mid May and spending about a week. We may spend some of that time at one of the BLM campgrounds near Canyonlands NP. I am looking forward to riding the WRT as well as Long Valley then possibly moving camp eslewhere to ride some other trails. As stated in other posts, there is no shortage of trails to explore around town.

I find that I am much more comfortable when I can have a trailer/camper to base out of but I am self contained and do not need hookups. My goal would be to have a mutual gathering point and then folks can make their own decisions on where they want to ride to (I do recommend that there be at least two riders on a ride though).

Checking the annual climate for Moab shows average temps for April is 72/42 and May is 83/50 after that it gets quite a bit warmer. The other option would be fall with September being 87/53 and October being 73/41. Keep in mind that last year Moab was pretty much closed up to people who lived outside of the county. Hopefully we won't run into this policy for 2021.

As an added attraction, I am planning on spending an additional week or so on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon either before or after Moab. Mo and I have spent quite a bit of time in both areas and can help with finding scenic riding areas to explore. Also, this will not be solely limited to TW's as I will probably be riding my KLR or KLX400, Mo will be on her TW though. I will also have a fair amount of tools and a compressor. So let me know what you think of a TW Moab Adventure
I’m in. April is best weather wise as it is getting warm by May. Oldest son will attend also. We both have 5th wheel toy haulers and are fully self contained. I suggest that we follow Admirals original 2020 plan.

#10 · (Edited)
MikeK, I think it's great you are stepping up to organize an unorganized TW gathering in Moab. Moab is such fun. Good luck and have fun. I'll be watching for sure.
We are definitely no-go's for a spring Moab as we're taking care of our 1st grader grandson through the school year. If we go to Moab at all in 2021 it will be in the fall sometime but can't commit to a timeframe.

#11 ·
Thanks for the response. I hope we can work out a schedule that works out for all of us. Mo and I would love to be able to meet up with you and Mrs. Admiral. August is out as I will be up in your neck of the woods. I am meeting a friend who lives by Caldwell and we are going to ride the IDBDR.
Well stated, by the way, any ride I organize is pretty unorganized.
Mikey

#13 ·
I saw a YouTube video from the TW Club stating that they were planning a Moab meetup some time this fall. The video stated that they had some deeded land that they would be camping at. It may be a better idea to catch their gathering rather than doing two separate events.
What's everyone's thoughts?
Mikey

#15 ·
I saw a YouTube video from the TW Club stating that they were planning a Moab meetup some time this fall. The video stated that they had some deeded land that they would be camping at. It may be a better idea to catch their gathering rather than doing two separate events.
What's everyone's thoughts?
Mikey
Two events are fine. I was going there in the spring and fall before Covid19.
There is just too many places to explore and re-ride.

Reactions: Sthrnromr and MikeK
#16 ·
What, no Admiral in 2021?
And I was hoping to see him catching some bigger slick rock wheelies than this.

Guess I'm just sorry that I missed his 180* backflip wheelie later on deep in Hell's Revenge.:cool:
There is a video of that somewhere, nice sky view from Kris's perspective.

#17 ·
What, no Admiral in 2021?
And I was hoping to see him catching some bigger slick rock wheelies than this.

View attachment 211179
Guess I'm just sorry that I missed his 180* backflip wheelie later on deep in Hell's Revenge.:cool:
There is a video of that somewhere, nice sky view from Kris's perspective.
No spring Moab due to Grandparent duties. Fall 2021 possible. Our spring break riding will most likely be in a different location other than Moab. Gotta smell the roses elsewhere once in a while.

#19 ·
Are you saying that the Alabama hills would be a good spot for a bike gathering? It probably would be a good spot. I was up in that area for about five days back in the fall of 2019 and it was fun but I am not sure that it would keep me busy on a bike for that long. I did find a nice brewery in Bishop and some good areas to the east of Lone Pine though.
Mikey

#28 ·
I'm pretty sure I can make it if the dates are still 9-16 April. I'll have to leave on the 14th or 15th.
I'll be dry camping in my popup truck camper (Mrs. Admiral still working so can't make it). Do you have a camping area(s) in mind yet. I'm sure there will still be plenty of people down there even with Jeep Week done and gone.

#30 ·
Yeah, I wasn't blaming 'rona for the crowds. Out on the trails, it wasn't bad but at camp on Willow Springs, the crowd seemed to grow every year and not just a little each year but a lot. In 2019 we had people driving right into the middle of our camp to stay without even asking. ...and it happened 3 or more times. Even Archview was dang near a deserted camp the first 2 years and then completely packed the next couple of years.

#33 ·
Not sure of my exact arrival/departure dates, but I'm planning to head out for at least some of the April 9-16 week. Is Castle Valley east of Moab too far from many trails? I've stayed a few times around there, most recently boondocking on the south end.

Reactions: admiral
#34 ·
Probably as good a time as ever to discuss where to stay. I was thinking of the BLM campground on the road to Canyonlands NP. I have stayed there before and it is just before you turn off the main road to Mineral Bottom which connects to the White Rim Trail. Though that CG is a bit small and it could be a challenge to find spots for everyone.

On another trip, I stayed at an older RV park on the north edge of town and that was great but costly. One of the rides Mo and I did from there took us west and on that ride we passed some CG's along the way. They were south of the river offered little but did seem to have quite a bit of space for camping. I will need to track down the name of that route.

And of course I am certainly open to suggestions from others who are familiar with the area and may have some ideas on spots to rest our weary bones each evening. I also understand that with the Virus still being active, it could be an issue finding a suitable spot. I am thinking of convincing Mo of the need for a road trip and going out there early and scouting some spots. So send your suggestions and we will try and get out to see what's available. Keep in mind that in the interest of saving a few bucks, we will probably drive our 2WD Rav 4 rather than the more gas hungry Tundra for a scouting trip. So Again, send me your suggestions.
Mikey

#43 ·
Probably as good a time as ever to discuss where to stay. I was thinking of the BLM campground on the road to Canyonlands NP. I have stayed there before and it is just before you turn off the main road to Mineral Bottom which connects to the White Rim Trail. Though that CG is a bit small and it could be a challenge to find spots for everyone.

On another trip, I stayed at an older RV park on the north edge of town and that was great but costly. One of the rides Mo and I did from there took us west and on that ride we passed some CG's along the way. They were south of the river offered little but did seem to have quite a bit of space for camping. I will need to track down the name of that route.

And of course I am certainly open to suggestions from others who are familiar with the area and may have some ideas on spots to rest our weary bones each evening. I also understand that with the Virus still being active, it could be an issue finding a suitable spot. I am thinking of convincing Mo of the need for a road trip and going out there early and scouting some spots. So send your suggestions and we will try and get out to see what's available. Keep in mind that in the interest of saving a few bucks, we will probably drive our 2WD Rav 4 rather than the more gas hungry Tundra for a scouting trip. So Again, send me your suggestions.
Mikey
This is your show but here are some of my thoughts for your consideration.

1. A scout trip is a great idea. That's what Mrs. Admiral and I did last year when we were planning Moab. It was invaluable to actually see the potential camp spots on the ground versus google earth or interweb reviews and judge suitability campsite areas anywhere from tents to large RV's. Any area is a crapshoot depending on visitor crowds. One year it could be near empty and the next overcrowded.

2. Horsethief Campground. I believe this is the one your thinking of. I give this area 5 stars for location if the camping works out.
-Great centralized area for rides on all kinds of trails and all rider abilities in many directions. Gemini Bridges, Long Canyon, Potash/Shaffer Switchbacks, WRT, Canyonlands NP, 7-Mile Rim/Tusher/Bartlett Wash, Hell Roaring Trail, Spring Canyon/Hey Joe, Dellenbaugh Tunnel/Secret Spire. Even 10 mile Canyon and Sand Dunes aren't horrible far away. Sand Flats Recreation Area, Sovereign ATV/Peace Officer/Copper Ridge Jeep Trail is within range over by Willow Springs.
-Quick search showed 85-90 sites. Also a Group site. Looks like the Group site is reservable so you could check in on that and we could share the cost amongst everyone. Looks like about 7-10 indicating they might come at this point so not a huge group to worry about.
-For TomT, Moab is about 20 miles Hwy 191 & 313. For reference, Willow Springs was about 13 miles to town. If not bringing gas Archview CG has a gas station that is about 12 miles closer than it is to Moab.

3. Could be some free sites near the top of Gemini Bridges road off 313 but would have to be verified on a scout mission.

4. Don't rule out Willow Springs area for camping but it's been getting more and more crowded but at least worth checking out on scout mission.

5. Only way CG's along Potash rd is worth it, is if they can be reserved. Possible crowding with the rock climbing and bicycle groups and being so close to town.

6. Klondike bluffs might be a good alternative as Bodi mentioned if other places are full of people. You can still ride a lot of trails from there but it is at the northern tip of the good riding areas.

7. If you want to move to the south, there was a lot of good group sized free camping in the Behind the Rocks area. Gotta be careful if one has a low-to-the-ground camper at the road getting in is roughish. The problem for some riders is it's a lot of sand riding and not as many trails close. It is pretty though. It's also possible to ride almost the whole way to Moab on backroads and stay off hwy191 if not in a hurry.

8. East of town off hwy 128. I'm not familiar at all with Castle Valley. I have ridden some of the trails out that way, Dome Plateau, Top of the World, and made a nice loop ride on Onion Creek, LaSal Mtn. loop road, and coming back into Moab via Sand Flats road. Have to rely on PupSocket if a camp area can accommodate our approximate group size.

9. I personally am going to rule out staying at a CG in Moab for myself.

That's all I've got for now.

#35 ·
I've camped along the CO River upstream of Moab on Hwy 191 in BLM(?) paid campsites long ago, though these are right next to the busy road. I was boondocking at the spot pictured below in late July last summer, on the south end of Castle Valley. There were only two other vehicles at that time, though it was far from peak season. One of the other rigs was a ~25' trailer. Lots of short cedar trees, could be a challenge for very long rigs.

There's another small campsite about halfway between that one and 191, 15 miles closer to Moab: Castleton Tower primitive campsite (free?): Utah Open Lands - Castleton Tower Preserve and Campground
About the same distance is Upper Onion Creek Campground (not free): Upper Onion Creek campground

I will be towing a teardrop trailer, about 15' overall length. I really need to look up routes I would like to ride. Keep in mind I'm a very new rider, still have the price tag on my ear. Shafer Trail, Long Canyon Road are ones I've heard of. I don't have provisions yet for extra fuel, which sounds like a requirement for the White Rim Trail. Can that be done in a day?

#37 ·
I believe technically still required by state law for operation on public roads. However not required for the trails. The shear number of in-town un-plated Side-by-Side traffic makes me think anything that brings money into the local economy is good and thus tolerated if done responsibly.

#38 ·
It also needs to be plated to ride inside the Park boundaries. So if you want to ride through Arches or take the ride through Canyonlands and up the switchbacks, it's on Park "roads" and one needs to be street legal to ride on roads. Plus, almost anywhere we ride, you need to travel on streets or highways a short distance to get to the trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.