TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I am dragging my sorry ass to Moab. Somehow got talked into spending the money I don't have for a fall trip. Something about the frailty of life?...Can't take it with you?...Whatever!
Will load up the Tdub on Tues. and head down for another week to ten days. My big worry is the damn tent that I had to pack up early the spring trip because of that lovely blowing fine red sand and dust blew thru the screening and covered everything. I actually had retired from tenting, looking forward to the spring when I will be selling the Jeep for a used Promaster, Sprinter or Transit to convert to a camper. But, that's not now and I am forced to tent one last time....AGAIN! I'll be spending a ton o money on motels if it's a windy dust storm down there.
Sooo.....someone tell me October is windless.:cool:

·
Registered
13,734 Posts
Once again I am dragging my sorry ass to Moab. Somehow got talked into spending the money I don't have for a fall trip. Something about the frailty of life?...Can't take it with you?...Whatever!
Will load up the Tdub on Tues. and head down for another week to ten days. My big worry is the damn tent that I had to pack up early the spring trip because of that lovely blowing fine red sand and dust blew thru the screening and covered everything. I actually had retired from tenting, looking forward to the spring when I will be selling the Jeep for a used Promaster, Sprinter or Transit to convert to a camper. But, that's not now and I am forced to tent one last time....AGAIN! I'll be spending a ton o money on motels if it's a windy dust storm down there.

It's windless.

...but I could be (am) wrong. Good luck and have fun.

Of course your tent choice could be worse

However, if you're a single guy this tent might work. Get rid of the guy and the dog and your set. Almost all the comforts of home...almost. :p

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Motoad; here is my oddball idea. Moab once again reminded me why I gave up tenting; and I left early too, after the 2nd sand drenching. I had bought a new bigger tent for Moab also.

Back to my idea, since you are spending money anyways. I have an 11x9 tent. I am considering buying a 9x7 (or so) tent that has the attached folding frame - so that it can be set up "inside" the larger tent.
Then instead of the sand blowing up the sides of the tent and coming in the top vents and covering everything; it will come up the sides of the exterior tent; and fall onto, and slide down the rain-fly and exterior sides of the interior tent without getting inside it. That just means spending about $75 on another tent. This week may be my last off-roading adventure though; and I am making the hour commute to a motel each night for the comfort.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haaaa! Admiral. I like dogs. Might keep the girl too. Old w/?? I do have the big tent. Just not buying any more. But that is a laughable yet, strangely attractive idea. No, I'll stick with the motel bail out.;)

·
Registered
928 Posts
... looking forward to the spring when I will be selling the Jeep for a used Promaster, Sprinter or Transit to convert to a camper...
I've been looking hard at the Promaster too. I like the short top 136 wheel base to use as my grocery-getter and stealth camper. I love the boxy aesthetics, the fact it can fit within a parking garage, and at 5'4" I can easily stand inside. The only thing holding me back now is the fact I have to sell the bus first.

No matter which platform you choose, Promaster, Sprinter, or Transit... Good luck on your camper build!

Reactions: Ken and Fred

·
Registered
20,391 Posts
Mootard, try the Glamping at Moab Under Canvas next door. Their tents are only around $300 a night but someone will come by to sweep out your tent every morning.
Or just save for that Sprinter. There is a lot to be said for sleeping inside a mobile go anywhere compact motorized box. Like when it is windy, dusty, buggy, rainy or snowing

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Think KOA south of town...:p Next time I go to Moab I will be staying there AGAIN! But without Montezuma...no farting or snoring contests are needed :eek:

KOA Gang Sketch1.png

Reddog{Zdiver}, Borneo{The Judge} Weasel, Montezuma, and Hoot, March 2015 at the KOA

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
It's windless.

...but I could be (am) wrong. Good luck and have fun.

Of course your tent choice could be worse

However, if you're a single guy this tent might work. Get rid of the guy and the dog and your set. Almost all the comforts of home...almost. :p
Get rid of the guy and the girl. Keep the dog since he will be glad to accompany you on as many trips to Moab as you see fit. He will never talk back or remind you that he needs a ring on his naked finger;)

Tom

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I don't think you will need to worry about rain as on Monday I think they got their quota for the year. There were water puddles every where and Willow Springs road was a red slurry. I think the TW gained 5 pounds in red sand. ( Lorie, you think sand is hard to ride in, you need to try the red slurrie. ) The winds were blowing the last 2 days we were there, but they were warm the last day.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I call it my Toybox on wheels best money ever spent I bought a new 2007 Sprinter from Berry Dodge in Corsicana TX for $33,000 drove it 6 years and all I did was replace one set of tires and 8 oil changes I listed it for $29,995 and had 3 guys arguing over who got to buy it! If I had bought a Ford etc I would have been lucky to get $10k for a 6 year old rig. This Red one was my second rig customer ordered in 2008 took 2 years to arrive.
14.JPG 12.JPG SAM_3414.JPG

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I call it my Toybox on wheels best money ever spent I bought a new 2007 Sprinter from Berry Dodge in Corsicana TX for $33,000 drove it 6 years and all I did was replace one set of tires and 8 oil changes I listed it for $29,995 and had 3 guys arguing over who got to buy it! If I had bought a Ford etc I would have been lucky to get $10k for a 6 year old rig. This Red one was my second rig customer ordered in 2008 took 2 years to arrive.
View attachment 131993 View attachment 132001 View attachment 132009
A guy I new from Malin, a forklift repair company drove a Sprinter. I'm not sure the year but they got rid of it in less than 2 years. The turbo went out and it wouldn't do over 45 mph. They went through about 3 transmissions which were all electrical related issues. I suspect it may have been when they first come out but I'm not sure. Hopefully they have all the kinks out now. It sounds like they do.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at the numbers on all of them I find Sprinters you can add 10 grand to the same thing in a Promaster. Transits I am not sure of. I do find used prices are way out there. It's almost like dealers are saying why not just pay a few grand more for brand new. Swore my new Cherokee is my last brand new.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
when I bought my first new Sprinter in 2007 for $33k totaly thrashed ex fedex Sprinters with 600k miles were bringing $25k at the dealer auction so buying new was a no brainer

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I mean> How can they get away with that? Supply and demand I guess. That's a club I just can't join.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts