TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some pics from our rides in Moab.

Day 1 for us was a cruise out Potash Rd and up the Shafer switchbacks to Canyonlands NP.

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

River pic

IMG_0469.JPG

After lunch pic? Checking maps

IMG_0470.JPG

More river vistas.

IMG_0475.JPG

Up we go

IMG_0471.JPG

Looking back from where we came.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Day 1

More

IMG_0477.JPG

If you look close you can see a jeep and bikes going down.

IMG_0478.JPG

Almost at the top

IMG_0480.JPG

You can see part of the white rim trail way out there.

IMG_0482.JPG

A better view of WR trail.

IMG_0484.JPG

More. At the top some split off to go back maybe they needed more gas. We went out to two overlooks in Canyon-lands NP. A good 90 Mile ride.

Campfire that night. 26+?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are those fire pics.

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
Those are some really spectacular pictures. Really interesting to see what the white rim looks like from up on top. wonder why it took me so long to discover Moab. Thanks so much for posting the pictures they are great. Hope you have more. :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have a ton more I just airdroped my wifes photos onto my phone so I have her's now. How do I get them to post so you don't have to click on them? Make them smaller resolution?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
More Day 1

IMG_0483.JPG

Lunch

IMG_0482.JPG

Famous Arch picture frame arch?

IMG_0499.JPG

Nice view

IMG_0521.JPG

Another white rim shot

IMG_0524.JPG

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Great photos. Next year maybe get some pics from the White Rim Trail looking back up to Island-in-the-Sky. You two could do it.
Better yet a small group could overnight down in the canyon either self-sufficient or with a chase vehicle hauling in camp gear and food like those $250/ day mtn bike tour groups. Chilling with a cold beverage and a hot steak riverside as the sun dissappears over the canyon rim sounds more relaxing than a hurried one-day trip.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Tweaker's signature says they ride "twin 2014 TWs made side by side on the assembly line".
Always nice to see a couple riding side by side together.
A wonderful couple. A great addition to the Moab group. For me it is the pits to live in the far reaches of the nation and meet folks so far away. Still meeting folks in the TW realm is the best part of getting out there and twisting the throttle, and spending time around the campfire in the evening.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Tweaker - great pictures! Thanks for pointing out that work should not be put before Moab! Next year for sure, come hell or high water. Plus, I'll make sure all my "projects" are completed and the Squatch is rolling well in advance.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks. I looked and we don't have any shots of the two us on both our bikes. Fred I like your idea of a white rim camp with a support vehicle. Are you all ready for more days? Admiral what did you use to resize that shot? Plumb we enjoyed hanging out, the rides and fires with you too and everyone.

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
Admiral what did you use to resize that shot?
There are 2 ways.

1st is clicking on the photo or link (i.e. on my cpu I see "IMG 0467.JPG" instead of a thumbnail picture) but these procedures will work with either.

The picture will then open in the thread window you had open in a larger format. I then right click and "copy image", and click back arrow/button and return to the original thread.

I then "paste" what I copied into the reply or quick reply window and wala, the picture is there in a larger format.

The second way is about the same but instead of just clicking the thumbnail or image code, right click and open in another Tab. Copy the image and paste in the original thread window.

That's it.

P.S.
You can do the same thing in your own thread, meaning you'll open your thread in edit mode. Click on your thumbnail or image code (best to open in a new tab). Once you copy and paste your photos into your original thread, save or save the changes. Then go back into edit mode and find "manage attachments" and delete the attachments. After you save all the changes you are left with a larger picture and your thumbnails or image codes are now gone for a cleaner look with bigger pictures.

From a viewers point of view, seeing the small thumbnail photos or image codes are a little bit of a pain for all of us "progressive lens" glasses wearers! We can simply click on the images which enlarges them and sometimes it allows us to click next and see the others in large (max is 5 attached photos from your computer/phone device).

If you have a photo host like I do (google photos and Photobucket) the pictures can be posted in a thread in a larger format allowing the viewer to view without clicking on your thumbnail or image code. Plus you can post up to 25 photo's in your thread.

The downside to this method is you have to setup the photo host account and some people don't want to take the time to do this. BTW, Photobucket is much more cumbersome so I use google photos now.

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Good photo post explaimation.
I use Admiral's Method #1 with sucess from my laptop, however I can't replicate technique using an iPad.
Interestingly enough tapatalk frequently allows me to post more than 5 photos per post from my cell phone but then later I seem unable to enlargen the pics for our veiwing pleasure.
I don't really understand the mechanism involved as I am a Luddite who has been reluctantly drug into the 21st century.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Tweaker; how long did it take to do the whole Potash Road loop from camp? Is there a lot of sand? I've re-geared to 15-45 for street, but after doing the harder (focusing on the trail) stuff while we were there; am thinking of running back down to do the paved scenic picture taking stuff (Canyonlands NP and Arches NP) except planning to use Willow Springs Rd. to get into Arches; and riding down and back up Shafer Switchbacks.
Figure that would give me two relaxed days of putting around; but wanted to check the time and conditions for the whole Potash Rd. in case I had a lot of time after doing all of Canyonlands topside. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
As far as camping along the White Rim Trail there are ten camp locations with two sites per location allowing up to 15 individuals in a total of three vehicles per site within the Park boundaries. No fires nor pets permitted. Recently re-done Park Service main Canyonlands website no longer lists backcountry permit fees and lead time for reservations like a few years ago, just loops back and forth. Perhaps Michael's buddy who did the poor performing Affordable Care Act website through her lucrative Canadian company's contract got this website re-do contract too.:p
Anyways a phone call usually clears up these discrepancies like stated rule one must have a fire pan and haul out charcoal residue vs. the "campfires prohibited" rule. The sites I drove by had no obvious evidence of prior campfires.
I've camped along the Green River a few times before all the regulations and it can certainly be a memorable experience slowing down to watch the play of light on the canyon walls as day turns to night. Dusk brings many birds and other wildlife out...bugs too. Usually warmer down along the river but it takes a few hours before morning sunlight reaches canyon floor. Would be fun with fellow TWers.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Tweaker; how long did it take to do the whole Potash Road loop from camp? Is there a lot of sand? I've re-geared to 15-45 for street, but after doing the harder (focusing on the trail) stuff while we were there; am thinking of running back down to do the paved scenic picture taking stuff (Canyonlands NP and Arches NP) except planning to use Willow Springs Rd. to get into Arches; and riding down and back up Shafer Switchbacks.
Figure that would give me two relaxed days of putting around; but wanted to check the time and conditions for the whole Potash Rd. in case I had a lot of time after doing all of Canyonlands topside. Thanks.
There was no sand. We left at 10? and got back by 4? Some made it shorter by not going to the loops at Islands in the Sky np.

Edit stop at the pictographs along the river on potash and when you get to the white rim trail intersection go down ( a few miles) that to mussleman arch. We missed those and some riders went back down to see those.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts