TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Are you interested in Moab October 2022?

• Yes

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 38.5%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Gang, Hoot has little clue on what the future holds for any of us, as for me, Health Wise? For the Nation, Fuel Prices and the latest "Virus" called the Monkey Pox {since the last Virus is fading fast in the media} is gaining in the Media Scare Headlines....so here we go, just tossing out October 2022 at Moab and the Canyonlands, etc:

I'll toss out October 14th thru 29th, great weather, kiddies are back school, and it seems like a perfect time...however, you will have to decide for yourselves if this is something YOU are interested in...Hoot is just starting the new thread...

Batter Up!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I am interested. In my local area, we get our first taste of seasonal rain 2nd half of October, and the wildfire season ends with that. First half of October is the worst for fire season because it is so dry by then and we tend to get drying North winds and humidity in the single digits. Power company cuts power under these conditions, fearful wind will put a tree branch into a power line and start a fire. The outages last for days as they wait for the wind to recede, and the crews walk down every foot of line to be sure no tree is hung up before reenergizing. But at least it's not so freaking hot heading into October.
I have no idea what weather is like in Moab mid to late October though. Not that I wouldn't just go anyways if only to get away for a few days.

·
Registered
2019 TW 200, 2004 XT225, 2005 XT225,2022 KLX140L
58 Posts
The Admiral's plan on being in Moab October 15-22. Our camp location has yet to be determined but will update this post as we fine-tune our plans.
Any ideas on decent places to park an Intech Discoverer? Unfortunately, it only has a 2 way fridge so we have to use a generator or be plugged to shore power.

·
Super Moderator
15,703 Posts
Any ideas on decent places to park an Intech Discoverer? Unfortunately, it only has a 2 way fridge so we have to use a generator or be plugged to shore power.
Are you going to a campground camp or a dispersed camp? If we end up camping near where we have in the past in the dispersed area near Dalton Wells Rd. Archview Campground is about 2 miles away with at least electrical hookups. I've never stayed in a campground while in the Moab area so I'm not sure of their amenities. If you have to run the genny I suppose you could find a remote area at the edge of the group or find a remote spot once most folks are there whether in our group or others.
Willow Springs/Dalton Wells/Klondike area is supposed to be going through some changes for camping so we'll have to investigate what's going on later this summer to make more firm camping plans. There are less crowded free camp areas in the north/west/south of Moab but they are getting further out and less access to most of the trails from a central hub area like Willow Springs/Dalton Wells has been in the past. Maybe someone who lives or travels through Moab can give us an update?

·
Registered
58 Posts
No solar yet? Get with it. You'll never go back.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
The Discoverer only has room for one battery. We plan on going solar, but I have to come up with a way to easily hold another battery or two.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Are you going to a campground camp or a dispersed camp? If we end up camping near where we have in the past in the dispersed area near Dalton Wells Rd. Archview Campground is about 2 miles away with at least electrical hookups. I've never stayed in a campground while in the Moab area so I'm not sure of their amenities. If you have to run the genny I suppose you could find a remote area at the edge of the group or find a remote spot once most folks are there whether in our group or others.
Willow Springs/Dalton Wells/Klondike area is supposed to be going through some changes for camping so we'll have to investigate what's going on later this summer to make more firm camping plans. There are less crowded free camp areas in the north/west/south of Moab but they are getting further out and less access to most of the trails from a central hub area like Willow Springs/Dalton Wells has been in the past. Maybe someone who lives or travels through Moab can give us an update?
We really don't stay in campgrounds. Dispersed is the only way to go. I use an inverter generator that is quieter than my KLX's even when it's running full out. I generally shut it down at nightthough since, I myself, don't like hearing it run.

Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Fred

·
Super Moderator
15,703 Posts
We really don't stay in campgrounds. Dispersed is the only way to go. I use an inverter generator that is quieter than my KLX's even when it's running full out. I generally shut it down at nightthough since, I myself, don't like hearing it run.

Thanks for the input.
Sounds like you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
2021 TW; 2016 Honda NC700X
893 Posts
I'm interested; but there are too many moving parts here to be sure.

Gas price - and quality - is a concern. So is, that I still haven't got my racks for the TW. I have water and gas Rotopax, from a previous bike...but I want side racks, to mount on one side. A Harbor Freight plastic case on the other. That will give me capacity for fuel, tools, and a place to keep H20.

Elsewise, someone else will have to carry tools and I'll have my Rotopax strapped on the tail like the Beverly Hillbillies.

But otherwise, the equipment is ready.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I'm interested; but there are too many moving parts here to be sure.

Gas price - and quality - is a concern. So is, that I still haven't got my racks for the TW. I have water and gas Rotopax, from a previous bike...but I want side racks, to mount on one side. A Harbor Freight plastic case on the other. That will give me capacity for fuel, tools, and a place to keep H20.

Elsewise, someone else will have to carry tools and I'll have my Rotopax strapped on the tail like the Beverly Hillbillies.

But otherwise, the equipment is ready.
The only “trail” you need extra fuel for is the white rim trail.
It is better to have nothing on your bike for the majority of the trails in Moab.
A lite bike will make for a more enjoyable experience.

·
Super Moderator
21,835 Posts
In the spirit of family and brotherly love which this forum represents, the forum members would like to help two (2) established forum members who might be interested in going to Moab get there. If you sincerely and honestly could use a hundred dollars ($100) in gas money, please contact me privately in conversations.
No one will know of this besides you, and I so don't be bashful if you could use the help.

May God Bless,
tommy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts