TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Are you interested in Moab October 2022?

• Yes

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 33.3%
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,846 Posts
Bump

In the spirit of family and brotherly love which this forum represents, the forum members would like to help two (2) established forum members who might be interested in going to Moab get there. If you sincerely and honestly could use a hundred dollars ($100) in gas money, please contact me privately in conversations.
No one will know of this besides you, and I so don't be bashful if you could use the help.

May God Bless,
tommy

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I'm planning for the last 2 weeks of October, leaving home around the 15th or so. It's not a formal time/date sort of event. It's an open invitation and people come and people go during a window of a couple weeks. Very informal. Some stay at free camping locations with zero facilities while others hotel it and still others RV campground and even others KOA cabins. Usually there's meet-up spot for night time campfires where the free campers roost. (No one to tell 'em it's after 'quiet' hours).
I am sure there will be others, but who and when and where we may meet up, anyone's guess.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm interested. I missed out on the Spring meet-up. I'm leaving my job in 4 days and will be trucking the t-dub up to the Schell Creek Range near Ely, NV to ride the Success Loop Scenic Drive. Then, I am off to the Gravelly Range in Montana for a couple nights in a Forest Service cabin. I plan to ride the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway. All this is solo / lonely from Sept 19 through Oct 3, so mid-October may work out for me. I'm not a big fan of the desert, having spent my youth living below sea-level in a drab desert! I am a fan of meeting new people and sitting around the campfire. My recent trip to WY in June was a smashing success and I met up with another forum user for some exploring.
Tarpaulin Tent Plant community Camping Tree

Massive tent is massively comfortable after 30+ years in a 2-person backpacking tent!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I have a funeral to attend on October 15th, so I most likely will be at Moab on the 17th. I'll stay as long as it's fun and the wifey allows as she is joining me and doesn't ride. Prepared to stay at least a week, and may leave around the 26th or 27th to make the Pumpkin Shoot on the 28th.

·
Registered
2022 TW Honey Badger (Dori123's bike) 2014 TW, and a 1994 TW Custom Scrambler
54 Posts
Definitely interested in joining for a few days, I only saw the thread just now!

It sounds like they've turned the Willow Springs and Dalton Wells areas into a state park called "Utah Raptor State Park." It's hard to tell what's going on from a distance, but I've read both:

- Dispersed camping is currently available for $15/night/camper

-There's construction on the new State Park facility and camping is prohibited while that's happening.

I'll be down there the week after next and can poke around in person and see what's actually cooking.

I suspect that it's going to take going a little further north to find free dispersed camping like there was this Spring, but I'm not sure...

Best!

SGTW.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Definitely interested in joining for a few days, I only saw the thread just now!

It sounds like they've turned the Willow Springs and Dalton Wells areas into a state park called "Utah Raptor State Park." It's hard to tell what's going on from a distance, but I've read both:

- Dispersed camping is currently available for $15/night/camper

-There's construction on the new State Park facility and camping is prohibited while that's happening.

I'll be down there the week after next and can poke around in person and see what's actually cooking.

I suspect that it's going to take going a little further north to find free dispersed camping like there was this Spring, but I'm not sure...

Best!

SGTW.
Utahraptor State Park info
Camping
The park is currently under construction, but primitive camping is allowed. Spots are first come, first served only, and the fee is $15 per night. Individuals can pay fees via the iron ranger locations found upon entering the park or online by scanning the QR code featured on park signage.

for those who look at the flags you should know I am travelling, not using a VPN this time

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
One of these times, I’m going to be able to meet up with you all in Moab. I missed spring ‘22 due to other travels, I’m missing Oct ‘22 due to some overseas travels. I have no idea when, but I’ll catch up with you all as soon as I can. Until then, I’ll be reading up on your get-togethers.

·
Registered
2022 TW Honey Badger (Dori123's bike) 2014 TW, and a 1994 TW Custom Scrambler
54 Posts
Utahraptor State Park info
Camping
The park is currently under construction, but primitive camping is allowed. Spots are first come, first served only, and the fee is $15 per night. Individuals can pay fees via the iron ranger locations found upon entering the park or online by scanning the QR code featured on park signage.

for those who look at the flags you should know I am travelling, not using a VPN this time
👍👍👍

·
Super Moderator
15,779 Posts
Mrs. Admiral and I are still coming to the Moab (area) on the dates we mentioned before 15-22 Oct. Loosely, this is our plan. We want to explore parts of Moab we haven't seen much before so we plan on initially spending a few days in the White Wash Sand Dune area in the NW part of the Moab area and a few days in the southern part camping in the BLM area near Behind the Rocks.
This is what we had planned before the 'rona shut the place down. If enough people want to, we will fork over to the man $15 for 2-3 nights in the Willow Springs/Dalton Wells area. In a couple of weeks we'll already be on the road for a 6-8 week trip but so just let us know people's ideas.
I'm guessing there is still free camping in the Klondike area from looking at the UtahRaptor State Park Map as well as some near Mill Canyon TH/Courthouse Rock CG area but never really scoped those places out for camping. I fear people who don't want to pay at Willow Springs/Dalton Wells will now move and make the above-mentioned places even more crowded like Willow Springs became these past few years.

This was our plan from March 2020 and our loose plan right now minus possibly 2-3 days in the Willow Springs/Dalton Wells area.
Edit: 22 Sept 22.
Part 1, Camp in the White Wash Sand Dunes Area. Moving to the south to the Behind the Rocks area (see Part II).
Part I, White Wash Sand Dunes. The White Wash Sand Dunes area is about 25 Miles SE from Green River (48 miles NW of Moab). To get there, take I-70 to exit 175. (on some maps listed as Exit 173) From the exit, go south on Ruby Ranch Road. (eventually turns to dirt). Continue about 12 miles (be sure to stay to the right about 4.5 miles from the exit, and continue straight at 7.8 miles from Interstate 70). Eventually, you’ll hit a ridge that looks down into the basin where the dunes are located. The road to White Wash Sand Dunes (WWSD) has well-marked BLM signs directing you to WWSD Staging Area (SA). We plan on arriving on the morning of the 15th, set up camp, and start riding in the afternoon. Camping. This is a free dry camp (bring your own extra gas, portable toilet, water, food, moonshine, etc...). As stated above Green River is the nearest town. You can take the old Hwy 6/50 into Green River instead of the freeway if you want to ride your bike into town. Remember, it’s about a 40-50 mile round trip from camp.

My options for camps:
Camp 1 option: Located about 9.2 miles from Exit 175 on Ruby Ranch Road at an intersection with the Enduro Loop Trail. There should be plenty of room if we have a turnout similar to past years. The Lat/Long if you’re interested is using DDM: 38°49.568’N, 110°1.274’W. Note: If it has recently rained, this area would not be good as the ground would be wet and muddy. Similar to Willow Springs last year. Would dry out quicker in warm weather.
Sky Natural landscape Horizon Landscape Grassland

Camp 2 option: WWSD Staging Area. The staging area is large enough to accommodate a group as we’ve had in the past. Portable Toilet Required. WWSD SA is easy to find as there are BLM signs directing you. WWSD SA is about 12.2 miles on Ruby Ranch Road. You’ll have to turn left of Ruby Ranch Road to reach the actual staging area which is about ¼ mile.
Sky Natural landscape Plant Horizon Grass

Camp 3 option plus: There are several smaller camping/staging areas past the turn-off for the main WWSD SA. Instead of turning to the WWSD SA, continue straight on Ruby Ranch Road. You’ll go down a grade and you should start seeing some pullout camping/staging areas on your left. There are about 3-4 of these areas. They are more for a smaller group but we could spread out among them if options 1 and 2 are a no-go.
Sky Natural landscape Horizon Grass Plant

Trails. There are some motorcycle single-track trails (ST), ATV/UTV trails (AU), and many Jeep trails (J) as well. There are so many online/map/GPX track sources for all of these area’s I can’t possibly post them all here so feel free to research them for yourselves. Lots of Youtube Videos of the area as well. Here are some of the trails I’d like to ride this year. Some are AU-friendly.
Enduro Loop
Brian Trail
Mary’s Trail
Guy’s Trail
Cow Freckles
Red Slot
Red Wash
No Name Mesa Trail
Dead Cow Loop (The Tubes ???)
White Wash Sand Dunes
Salt Wash
Tenmile Wash
Water Sky Plant Natural landscape Branch

Here are some other fun/interesting routes further away from camp and AU & J friendly. Crystal Geyser
Rainbow Terrace/Dellenbaugh Tunnel/Secret Spire
Spring Canyon Point
Tenmile Point
Further but doable long day rides AU & J friendly: Bartlett Wash Mashed Potatoes Hidden Canyon Rim Hidden Canyon Tusher Tunnel 7 Mile Rim/M & M trail. If you really want to push your butt-riding limit, you can also visit Island in the Sky (Canyonlands).

Part II, Moab 2020 Behind the Rocks.
To get there. From the McDonalds in Moab, travel south on Hwy 191 for approximately 12.3 miles. The turn-off from 191 is at the top of the hill. (See Camp Option 2 for alternate directions).
After 4-5 days in the WWSD area, move from WWSD to the Behind The Rocks Area. Camping. This is a free dry camp (bring your own extra gas, portable toilet, water, food, moonshine, etc...). This is a large dispersed camp area designated by signposts with camp numbers.
My options for camps:
Camp 1 Option: From the McDonalds in Moab, travel south on Hwy 191 for approximately 12.3 miles. Turn right off the Hwy and stay on the dirt/sand road for approximately 2.3 miles. The road is a little rough so if you’re driving a big rig/trailer, take it easy, take it slow. In approximately 2.3 miles you should see a small post sign which indicates campsites 19-38 or a number very close to this. Turn left, in a couple of hundred feet continue, and go through the fence gate. In the open area, you should start to see the camp signposts which are marked with the sight number. There are more further in the trees.
Ecoregion Map Slope Font Geological phenomenon

Font Circle Soil Rock Concrete

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

Camp 2 Option:
From the McDonalds in Moab, travel south on Hwy 191 for approximately 11.2 miles. Turn left off the Hwy and stay on the main dirt road for approximately ¾ mile. There are a couple of areas so if this is our spot you should look for the TWs. This camping area is smaller than behind the rocks.
Ecoregion Map Slope Geological phenomenon Bedrock

Trails: After setting up camp on the 27th. I plan on riding these trails first if possible:
Steelbender
Behind the Rocks
Tiptoe Behind the Rocks
Kane Creek Canyon (if the water level isn’t too high)

Since we'll have been on the road for a couple of weeks, we plan on taking some days off to go to town for groceries, laundry, etc., so not every day will be a ride day or a full ride day.
With some prior planning, I'm considering the Lockhart Basin trail but not a sure thing. After that, there are additional trails anyone can choose. Flat Iron Mesa, Strike Ravine ???, Cameo Cliffs (aka Hook & Ladder) Trails
Also, we aren't too far from the Moab area (about 12 miles away...Moab not the trails) Chicken Corners/Hurrah Pass, Jackson Hole, Sand Flats Recreation area (Fins & Things, Hell’s Revenge, Slickrock single track trail, Porcupine Rim), Potash Rd./Shafer Switchbacks, Island in the Sky (Canyonlands), White Rim Trail, Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim, Pucker Pass, Gemini Bridges, Bull Canyon, and Metal Masher. There are numerous other trails/roads within reasonable riding miles of camp as well

·
Registered
467 Posts
A ways South of Moab is an area called Hook and Ladders I think. It's near a Red Rock Jeep trail we ran about 5 years ago (can't remember the name of it either) There is some good riding down there and also around Monticello and Blanding for all you retired folks not on a schedule

21 - 32 of 32 Posts