TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Moab Utah Pass Through December 2019

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Hoot Gibson 
#1 ·
Driving through Moab today was surprised at how our little TW riding Mecca is growing theres so many new gas stations and new construction of all types going on everywhere. I've always thought it would be cool to have a "clubhouse" there that could be used as a base of operations so people could ride Moab year around or should I say any time of year. Still a stunningly beautiful area every time I come here I'm amazed!

I'm picking up a trailer in Grand Junction I'll try to get some Moab pics on my way back to Arizona
Vehicle Car Trailer Transport Automotive exterior

See less See more
#2 ·
Placer, I've actually been looking to do this up in Washington as well. I know you may not have been serious, but if we can find a cheap enough piece of recreational property, I think it would be cool to set it up maybe like a timeshare (for visitors) and/or just an easy agreement for those wanting to pitch in.

Then we could schedule a barn raising where we could build a recreational shop maybe with a sleeping loft.

Good luck finding a small cheap piece of property though... seem far and few between everywhere unless someone moves or kicks the bucket.

#4 ·
Way back a while ago,
WE did the Easter Jeep Safari for 14 years in a row. We started with CJs, then moved onto a YJ and then, a couple of TJs and finally, our present one, a '15 JKUR. When we were doing Moab way back then, the traffic was tolerable but, building. Over the years, Moab has become so phenomenally popular, not only with more and more Jeep folks, but also the Side-by-side crowd has also invaded the place, as well as other adventurous types. I check in on a Jeep forum every now and then and, there's a gent on there that lives in Moab and frequently reports incidents, traffic status, trail status and more. There's been quite a few times when he reported that the time frame from where you enter on 191 about a mile north of Arches, to the point you're through town, is over 2 hours, due to the traffic status.
The last time we were there, which was about 2 years ago, it wasn't too bad and, it was about a week before the Easter Jeep Safari. As much Jeepin' on the trails as we've done there, I think it would be incredibly fun to run a bunch of T-dubs around there in a group on some of those back trails and roads.

Reactions: PlacerLode
#5 ·
I'm just leaving the Moab Dennys and man this town is dead right now maybe we should have our TW roundups this time of year and just wear our cold weather riding gear. 43 degrees now at 8:45pm!

All the campgrounds are empty and I only saw two blm campers north of town so we would literally own the trails !

Not a single bike or side by side driving around town the two times I passed through today and I didn't see anybody on the trails at least from what I could see from the highway

I'm sitting in the giant Super 8 hotel parking lot and I'm the only rig here except the manager and the maids car

#6 ·
Wow,
That's pretty darn good, for that town to be that empty, at ANY time of the year. I guess the time of year really does have something to do with it. We've been there at Easter time and, in early March. So, we've seen "some" of the congestion. Man, I gotta tell ya, that would be ODD, for us to see that town so deserted.
Scott

#7 ·
I was at the Dennys at 7:30pm and it was dead just a few local hunters from what it looked like. The Dennys waiter said it's like flipping a switch when the tourists come back but they starve for business this time of year, many shops close. I stayed at the Moab rest area last night ad it was 32 degrees so I had to keep the cabin heater running all night but daytime temps in the 40's aren't bad since I like to wear my Klim riding gear w/o sweating. I bet we could even rent cabins at Archview campground that place was deserted might even have been closed I didn't drive in to check. Something to think about as my slow time of year is now so I could get away much easier but I imagine folks with families might be busy visiting Grandma this time of year

#8 ·
Bad Luck lives there, he might be able to suggest times of year when traffic tappers off yet is not too cold. Varies year to year of course. A little cold is tolerable if prepared. Have been on tow solo & two group rides this fall already with sub-zero nights and the main issue is that the days are just too darn short.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.