TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A DSBC riding buddy of mine, who has never been to Moab, and I are headed down to Moab to ride for a week. We hope to be riding from Sunday, Oct 14 to Saturday, Oct 20.
I was planning on camping at Willow Springs road if any of you are in the area and want to stop by.

This is what my setup looks like - we will not have TWs with us.

Fred, I will check out the location you sent me on the motorbike as I am pulling a trailer.

Side Note - I always thought the area around Willow Springs was BLM, but it is actually State land.
That would explain the camping boundaries and outhouses.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Argh! You're always welcome to stop by if passing through the area. Port location would depend on your intended dates. This is if you don't go via the Fred way which has awesome riding and hosts as well. :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Argh! You're always welcome to stop by if passing through the area. Port location would depend on your intended dates. This is if you don't go via the Fred way which has awesome riding and hosts as well. :)
Thanks Kris, but we will be doing a run to Moab with just a few hours of shut eye at a rest area along the way.
When you are retired, I hope to do more riding with you. Are you considering heading to Quartzsite this Winter?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where should we head out first?
I was thinking of doing parts of Sovereign, not the single track to start.
What trails are a must see, I have some in mind.
What are your thoughts?
I have tracks for most of the trails and the National Geographic maps for Moab South and Moab North.

I usually yet Admiral lead the way:(

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
The sovereign trail is fun right out of camp. I did that with my gal on my quad. We came to that down hill and she couldn't see the trail. I told her it was right in front of us. Started over the edge and she exclaimed, "OH SHIT OH DEAR" since that it has been that to me, lol. Went down it the next time on the TW following Weasel. We did ok, but the rider behind us needed some help. All in all, Moab is a fun place to ride no matter your experience. Mostly it all about the campfire at the end of the day.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
What are your thoughts?
I have tracks for most of the trails and the National Geographic maps for Moab South and Moab North.

What are the trails you have in mind? Don't want to list one's you are already thinking about.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quartzsite is not on my radar this year. Maybe in the future as I'm sure when Mrs. Admiral retires in a couple years we'll seek some warmth not related to cuddling up next to the fireplace. :D
You all read it here! The Admiral says I can retire in a couple of years.. whoop whoop.

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
The correct reply, is - “I was so lucky that Lori chose me, my life is now complete. Lotteries are only money, and money can’t buy you love”

(The learner shows promise, but his delivery needs some polishing) …… :p

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
The correct reply, is - “I was so lucky that Lori chose me, my life is now complete. Lotteries are only money, and money can’t buy you love”

(The learner shows promise, but his delivery needs some polishing) …… :p
Yes, that is the exact reply I said but only in Idaho English, not English English! :p

·
Registered
349 Posts
What are your thoughts?

I've been busy the past week the jeep group I'm a member of, came to town, so I've been doing trails with them all week.
And I will have to go back to work this week, but have a good time, at least the weather has improved.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In Moab and it is over crowded this Saturday. Today the crowds fave thined. We road out to Tusher tunnel and hidden Valley and the look out - 42 miles. We are now going to Headington arches and out via Willow springs to where we are camped.

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Is your riding partner equivalent to your riding experience level? You're pretty up on most of the trails north of Moab (east/west of Willow Springs) and Fin's & Things, Hells Revenge area's. I still love 7 Mile Rim and there are some other trails M&M trail is one I can think of you can ride off of 7 Mile which Stig and I rode in 2017. You rode some of it with us when you arrived. Bartlett Basin in the sand trails where we buried the rear tires at the lunch spot can be fun.

If he or she likes the rocky stuff you could ride up past Fins on the Porcupine Trail. East on 128 Top of the World is pretty decent challenge in spots with a great overlook at the top. Out near Top of the World is also Dome Plateau is fun faster riding. Not as challenging but you can go faster. Wa Larry took us on both of those trails in one day.

There's a bunch of trails South of Moab I'd like to try like Steal Bender, Kane Creek Canyon and Behind the Rocks (looking for the bypasses of the hardest parts haha). I would not be able to make it up the rocks at the main Behind the Rocks TH and would ride around the south end and all the sand roads.

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
I always enjoyed the easy access into Arches National Park via Willow Springs.
Sure, one has to ride some sand washes, navigate a handful of sandstone ledges and of course avoid those 60 million year old dinosaur footprints. Still it sure beats waiting behind hundreds of tourist cars waiting every morning at the main entrance.
Plus it provides access to some of the more remote and less visited arches like Eye-of-the-Whale and the NW corner of the park...sandy though, here is a taste:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts