TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t want it loud, and I know there is no performance gain to be had, I’d just like it to be a tiny bit louder so I feel less like I’m riding a scooter. My 87 has a kinda beat up muffler at the end, and it is considerably noisier than my 95, but I like it. It’s not loud,
Just enough to know it’s doing something. My 95 is QUIET. I’d rather hear a little exhaust over my chain going over the slider, you know. Surely someone here has a similar feeling and has played with their muffler some. Any tips? I’m a competent welder so if I put a hole where I shouldn’t have, I can patch it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If you do not need a proper forest service approved spark arrester, you can remove, cut off the cone in the inside section and reinstall.
Try it first without the arrester, at all, to get a sense of the decibel difference and tone.
I do not think I posted photos of doing that on the TW nor the XT250.
Save the cut-off section, as it can be welded or brazed back on, if you do not like it.

An impact on the Phillips screw holding on the arrester is recommended...even new.
That and a vise plus hacksaw are the only tools needed.

I do not like loud (obnoxious), but do prefer audible.

As much as I enjoy experimenting, I also like to be able to revert to stock.
The attached photo is of my CB1100.
I drilled the 3 holes (1/2").
Liked the sound accelerating.
Very much liked the rumble decelerating.
But did not like the sound at idle...sort of a fluttering.
So, I made blocking plates, drilled and tapped (10/32") a pair of mounting holes for each 1/2" hole and blocked my experiment.
They are covered by a stainless steel cone.

The air box mod on the CB1100 worked very well, but I saved the section I sliced off, should I want to reapply with crazy glue.

Exhaust mods-half inch holes.jpg
Snorkel cut.JPG
Snorkel mounted.JPG

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Ok. Thanks doc. Just now got the Phillips out. It came out without too much trouble. Haven’t gotten the baffle to wiggle yet.
Welcome!

I get a lot of use out of my rubber mallet...just don't smack so hard as to dent anything.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree with both of your tastes on sound, I just installed a DG O Series and it is too loud without the quite baffle that they sell seperate and I do not have. Considering making my own as I saw a fella do this on on youtube with the exact same combination and it toned it down quite nice.

·
Registered
457 Posts
It is my impression from watching videos online that the DG O series is the quietest or must muffled of the aftermarket options. I want throaty but quiet in general. This video inspired me to follow this route, I think it is as close to perfect for me, I might compare their quiet baffle to see but it was not a impressive when I watched it tested, the homemade version seemed lower tome. Impossible to tell on youtube videos but since price was a consideration too, it was hard to beat. Without modifications so far, it is too loud for my liking !!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I cut the spark arrester out, didn’t make a huge difference really. A little louder but not much.
Just a few decibels, but I thought a bit deeper tone. This was on a new 2017.
A bit better heard when alongside a cage on the highway.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It is my impression that the DG O series is the quietest of the aftermarket. I want throaty but quiet in general. This video inspired me to follow this route, I think it is as close to perfect for me, I might compare their quiet baffle to see ??
Before: Moderate at idle, but quite a bark when the throttle is blipped.
After: Not as likely to be irritating on a long trail ride.
BTW: I use earplugs on the highway, just for wind noise.

Good video. Many exhaust videos do not accurately capture the sound.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I am going to be trying it cause you are spot on about the sound, great idling sound but a bit barky just driving around my small town. Would maybe be ok in the woods with all the sound absorption but playing follow the leader on a fire road or out in the open, it could be annoying to those around you unless they are into it. The one thing I will say is it makes the engine sound twice the size which I did not expect from a 196cc, If I can just castrate it's bark a little it will be spot on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am also thinking of modding the stock exhaust. Unlike others I like quiet. A throaty whisper! LOL. Yet I want it to be free flowing. Don't have time right now. Next few weeks will be crazy. I was wondering if I pull the screw out of the stock exhaust what is inside. Anybody got pics? I like the washer idea. I just recieved in a new truck to mount, a pair of hair guards, I have a expedition rack coming. Before summer is over I want 2 rotopaks fuel cans mounted to the front forks. I have class and work to do at moms but love learning from you guys for now. About the airbox cut out. Hows that affect the ability to ford water?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tonights tinkering found the source of my "rattle", the seam on the bottom of my muffler is rusted out. I just got done welding it up and throwing some black paint back on it. Wont last forever so I may look for a nice stock or do the DG eventually. I bet its going to sound a lot better with that seam welded up and my slightly larger tip though.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Not fair for me to say, I got it cause it sounded ok in videos and it was only $ 169 on ebay, I like it and it fit perfectly but a bit loud when your on the gas, I doubt that it is any different that any other brand and I also doubt any other brand will gain or loose any power on these tiny engines so hard to beat the price point was my deal.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just rode both bikes a half hour each and in the end just like my stock exhaust better, just sounds quiet and smooth when riding with my helmet on. Not sure I will even bother keeping the DG. How is that for a turn around !! I guess 25 years of Harley’s just wore me down on noise.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts