TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here so not sure if this has come up before but... i just bought a brand new 2013 TW and one of the first things I want to modify is the mirrors. As im looking for new low profile mirrors i cant find anything I like. I thought about cutting down the stock mirrors and running a die over the stock mirror post to shorten them and just re-install them that way? Has anyone done this and is it functional? Basically can you see behind you or will my arms just be in the way?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
seeing as how the stock mirrors are better at getting my shoulders than the road behind, i'd guess chopping them would not work well.
i have the fancy folding ones and while they look cool and are durable, they are really buzzy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I WISH there were TALLER mirrors, stock and aftermarket. All I can see is my shoulder, unless I contort myself, both on my DT and the aftermarket one I put on the WR426. Diane seems happy with the DT mirror I put on her TW.
If you DO decide to cut and re-thread, check to see if the thread on one side is reversed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
@NavyChief, have you considered bar-end mirrors? They take a little getting used to but when I've ridden with them they work.
Otherwise everything seems like it's going to give you less visibility.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
seeing as how the stock mirrors are better at getting my shoulders than the road behind, i'd guess chopping them would not work well.
i have the fancy folding ones and while they look cool and are durable, they are really buzzy.
Which folding mirrors are you using? Doubletakes @ $47.95 or the folding dualsport [email protected] $22.95

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you can find some wr250 mirrors they would be exactly what you are wanting to make. Side benefit is the arm and the mirror are both black. The wr250 has the reversed threads already.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about those but all the ones i see out there look flimsy. probably what i'll get though, i do like the option to tuck them away when i don't need them.. thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
glad you said that, i just realized that they are reversed on one side. I didn't remember that as took them off last week and i was in a hurry. that would have pissed me off. Thanks brother!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i have considered them. just not sure what i want to do yet. i know I'm not going to use the stock ones so I figured id shorten them and see how i liked them before id spend any money. If i don't like them ill just throw them away. My first choice might be fold down because i like the look without mirrors but can still pull them up when i need them. Bar-end would be my second choice for sure. Thanks though.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Which folding mirrors are you using? Doubletakes @ $47.95 or the folding dualsport [email protected] $22.95
the doubletakes. it has taken numerous falls, but like i said it is very buzzy, where as the stock mirror is rock solid. ??

·
Registered
85 Posts
You might take a look at these Dennis Kirk mirrors. They're inexpensive but built well. I've had a pair for a few months now and really like them. The main parts are all metal, with plastic mirror heads. They're built on a ball head design and the tension is easily adjustable. I can fold them down, out of the way, with one hand while moving, which is nice.

https://www.denniskirk.com/391306.sku

They also come in a left hand thread version to fit the right mirror threads on a Yamaha TW.

I would be leery of bar end type mirrors if I was riding any off road at all, as they seem to be very vulnerable out there. I agree, though, that for best visibility the mirrors need to be as wide as possible. I don't think you can get them high enough to see over your shoulders.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Yep, one of the first things I noticed when rode the 2014 the first time...These Mirrors Suck! No way to get around it either....the right side {passenger/lol} is uselfull, but the driver's side{sic} is only good if you drop arm and ride one handed...no amount of adjustment has worked....one of the few things, O~Chain, front tire, etc, that I am looking at changing....but minor they are, at least so far.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
You might take a look at these Dennis Kirk mirrors. They're inexpensive but built well. I've had a pair for a few months now and really like them. The main parts are all metal, with plastic mirror heads. They're built on a ball head design and the tension is easily adjustable. I can fold them down, out of the way, with one hand while moving, which is nice.

https://www.denniskirk.com/391306.sku

They also come in a left hand thread version to fit the right mirror threads on a Yamaha TW.

I would be leery of bar end type mirrors if I was riding any off road at all, as they seem to be very vulnerable out there. I agree, though, that for best visibility the mirrors need to be as wide as possible. I don't think you can get them high enough to see over your shoulders.
I have these on my TW and I had them on an XR years ago, very good quality for the price and not too buzzy.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've really been liking my Doubletake mirrors, but I'm seriously debating getting longer RAM arms to get them out there a bit more.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Thanks for the info on the mirrors guys..

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Im new here so not sure if this has come up before but... i just bought a brand new 2013 TW and one of the first things I want to modify is the mirrors. As im looking for new low profile mirrors i cant find anything I like. I thought about cutting down the stock mirrors and running a die over the stock mirror post to shorten them and just re-install them that way? Has anyone done this and is it functional? Basically can you see behind you or will my arms just be in the way?
Look for mirror extensions........perhap's at "luckybike.com" OR Procycle will have them also . Don't forget that the right side Yamaha mirror is a lefthand ( LH) thread when ordering! . When you say low profile are you thinking of folding ?. If you are ,I also went this route and ordered them ( can't remember the brand ,but they were $$$) anyway ,wish I had found the extensions prior to buying the folding mirrors.....hence I would have stayed with the OEM's . Can't seem to get the folder's to tighten all the way down???.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts