TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2007 TW200 in June and love to take it down dirt roads and just explore or scout for good hunting spots. I am 6' 3" and "right now" around 260 lbs. and this bike is perfect for how & where I ride. Was just wondering if any of you in the 250+ club had some suggestions to help get a little more comfortable ride. Was thinking of a few changes that might help would be: handlebar raiser, bigger foot pegs, stiffer rear suspension, thicker seat or pad & maybe longer shifter/back break pedal. Also was wondering if a 15t front sprocket would help with a little more speed in 1st and 5th gear or would it bog down in the wind or hills at my weight. Any suggestions for products on these or any other ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Handlebar riser was the single best mod for me (6' 260). Your height and reach would probably benefit from a pivot "Rox" type riser. If I ever redo my seat cover, I would love to add an inch of seat height. Sitting with my knees slightly above my hips is not the optimum set up. Lots of guys like bigger footpegs, for me, it seems cramped already with my size 12 boots, so I have not tried that mod yet.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'm nowhere near your height, but near or over your weight at times. You are on the right track. Bigger foot pegs are great. Seat Concepts is a must. Call them, they might be able to do a "tall". They do for other bikes, but I'm not sure if anyone has convinced them to make a tall mold, but they might. I personally prefer going for a little more torque than speed as far as gearing on the TW. Wind it out, you won't hurt it. Springs/pre-load to set proper rider sag really helps. Investing in the gold emulators in the front really, REALLY helps. Welcome, and happy riding!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I stand about 6' and weight in around 280 with riding gear.

I have my TW set up with heaviest pro cycle springs front and rear. ATV High bars, larger foot pegs, seat concepts seat, and 14/47 gearing which is great on the street and trail but there's no fixing the fact that the poor 200 mill is taxed by my weight on hills.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
TWinning,

I've done pretty much what Tinybear has done. What others have mentioned above that Tinybear didn't cover are good as well.

I have the handlebar risers (2") and much more comfortable than the stock position. However, couple weeks ago I rode ejfranz's TW and he has ATV High Bars like Tinybear and bar risers. Riding in the sitting position felt the same but when I stood up, being 6"1 ish, the bars were in a much more comfortable position as I didn't have to lean over. This is only if you're gonna ride off-road and want to stand up.

Tinybear uses 14/47 gearing which is pretty good in everything but some of the steeper trails. I've used 14/55, 13/60 and currently 13/54 and I can scoot up the hills with my lard butt just fine, though I will agree with Tinybear that I wish the 200 mill would have a little more at times to make me pucker less on the trails. On street, well it just doesn't seem to matter what my gearing is as eventually I'll have to downshift.

Great advice by all the others and I'm just adding my confirmation to what they are saying.

I stand about 6' and weight in around 280 with riding gear.

I have my TW set up with heaviest pro cycle springs front and rear. ATV High bars, larger foot pegs, seat concepts seat, and 14/47 gearing which is great on the street and trail but there's no fixing the fact that the poor 200 mill is taxed by my weight on hills.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Every mod you mentioned will help. I've done almost all of them (chain gearing different).
But maybe you don't need all of them so start with the easiest and least costly in time and $$$.

Risers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This fourum and members are amazing! Thanks for sharing and appreciate all the great ideas.
As most of you mentioned I think I will start with the 2" risers and take the advise of stagewex & go slow on the $$$.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
This fourum and members are amazing! Thanks for sharing and appreciate all the great ideas.
As most of you mentioned I think I will start with the 2" risers and take the advise of stagewex & go slow on the $$$.

Good start. If you ride off-road or at least on bumpy roads and your feet keep falling off, I'd suggest wider footpegs next. The bar risers do help with the posture/neck pain I'd get after a while with the bars in the stock position. ...and you can find them cheap too saving the wallet from losing weight too fast.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm 6'4" and heavy as well. I've done most of what has been mentioned already, and I'm very happy with the results (see my thread: http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/37993-steves-87-day-mods.html )

The heavy duty shock and fork springs are the most critical upgrades for a heavy rider, in my opinion.

Oversized foot pegs are a must-do for almost everybody.

As a heavier rider, I was surprised to find that raising the gear ratio (by replacing the 14 tooth front sprocket with a 15 tooth) actually improved performance across the board! Somehow, the horsepower/torque/momentum combination just seems to work better.

That said... I'd sure like this same bike in a 350! ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Also about 260 lbs. I just installed the 19kw rear spring, .70 kw fork solution kit, and high mount front fender in white from Pro-Cycle. It's expensive but the best upgrade in my opinion. The cartridge emulator has taken the harshness out of the forks. Both springs keep me from bottoming and the white instead of black low mount front fender just looks cool. The original front springs are so short they have a 7.5" spacer. New pro-cycle springs need no spacer. they are full length. Already have a rear luggage rack and aluminum skid plate. I cant see the power improvement or weight gain with a slip on, but are planning on installing man sized bars on this bike.
I love my Tw'b, but also know the money I'm spending is being thrown away. No one cares or will spend extra because of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't post much but always check the forum and see what everyone is up to. I decided to go cheap on the mods so I just wanted to update what I have done.

Shinko 244 4.60 front tire
Posted before about this and still like it. Works perfect on the street and maybe a little wobble on loose gravel going around 40 mph but that's ok because it is just tells me to slow down & i'm ok with that.
View attachment 162602

Rox Speed FX 2in. Pivoting Riser for 7/8in. Handlbar - Natural Aluminum 1R-P2SSN
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041PXMIM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$65.97 The best mod so far. I ride way back on my TDub about 1 inch from the back of the seat so I ended up moving the bars back after my test ride. Bringing my hands up 2" just feels so much better.
View attachment 162610

HTT Motorcycle Gunmetal Black Motocross MX Dirt Bike Racing Foot Pegs
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RUQ9V8O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$17.98 Cheap pegs like many of you did. Still getting comfortable with these because of my size 13 boot so i added the new 29.95 shift lever. IMS 313114 Flightline Folding Shift Lever
This was not what I thought it would be. was bent severely and the angle made it the same length as the stock but the bend helped me raise it higher so that does help some.

View attachment 162626
View attachment 162618

Aileap Waterproof Motorcycle USB Phone Charger Adapter with Power Switch 5V Dual Ports
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071S9FKYP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$15.99 I like that it has two USB ports and the cap is water proof plus the off switch with light keeps me from draining my battery after a ride.
View attachment 162634

Roam Universal Premium Bike Phone Mount for Motorcycle
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWDCSIZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$9.88 Works great! Bumping around for about 3 hours last weekend and never had my phone move at all with the rubber web.

Versa-Packs ™ Day Pack/ Horn Bag
https://www.petandhorse.com/versa-packs-tm-day-pack-horn-bag-model-vp-125-clearance-item
$15.26 Ok maybe the best mod so far for the $! Fits perfectly over the gas cap and with some industrial magnets inside the upper zipper it sticks to my tank even through 1/8" padding & that padding protects the tank from any wear or scratches.
Great fit for me because I ride so far back but might get in the way of others knees who sit closer to the middle. Much more room than I expected!
View attachment 162642
View attachment 162650

Yamaha TW200 Rack W/Bungie Loops
Welcome to ManRacks
$115 with PO money order. Ok I lied this is very best mod I did and the most expensive but worth it. I know many of you have this rack. So sturdy I can pick my bike up holding this rack & it does not get in my way when sitting back on the seat. Great product & thanks to
Mike at Manracks for a quick delivery!
View attachment 162690

Also added a tool tube $5 and did a quick seat release. Not sure if others have done this but works great and I have tested off road and have not had any issues with it coming loose. I just unscrewed the end spacer it came with and threw away then added/glued enough washers (spacer if you have one) to get the right amount of threads in the seat so its hand tight then push the lever down to make it very tight. Never need a wrench to get under the seat:D
Bike Quick Release Seatpost $5.82 for two.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/371703810451
View attachment 162682

Nothing most of you don't have already but thought I would share.
Thanks for your wisdom & humor...great forum!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Please jump in more bro! ;)
I don't post much but always check the forum and see what everyone is up to. I decided to go cheap on the mods so I just wanted to update what I have done.

Shinko 244 4.60 front tire
Posted before about this and still like it. Works perfect on the street and maybe a little wobble on loose gravel going around 40 mph but that's ok because it is just tells me to slow & i'm ok with that.
View attachment 162602

Rox Speed FX 2in. Pivoting Riser for 7/8in. Handlbar - Natural Aluminum 1R-P2SSN
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041PXMIM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$65.97 The best mod so far. I ride way back on my TDub about 1 inch from the back of the seat so I ended up moving the bars back after my test ride. Bringing my hands up 2" just feels so much better.
View attachment 162610

HTT Motorcycle Gunmetal Black Motocross MX Dirt Bike Racing Foot Pegs
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RUQ9V8O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$17.98 Cheap pegs like many of you did. Still getting comfortable with these because of my size 13 boot so i added the new 29.95 shift lever. IMS 313114 Flightline Folding Shift Lever
This was not what I thought it would be. was bent severely and the angle made it the same length as the stock but the bend helped me raise it higher so that does help some.

View attachment 162626
View attachment 162618

Aileap Waterproof Motorcycle USB Phone Charger Adapter with Power Switch 5V Dual Ports
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071S9FKYP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$15.99 I like that it has two USB ports and the cap is water proof plus the off switch with light keeps me from draining my battery after a ride.
View attachment 162634

Roam Universal Premium Bike Phone Mount for Motorcycle
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWDCSIZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$9.88 Works great! Bumping around for about 3 hours last weekend and never had my phone move at all with the rubber web.

Versa-Packs ™ Day Pack/ Horn Bag
https://www.petandhorse.com/versa-packs-tm-day-pack-horn-bag-model-vp-125-clearance-item
$15.26 Ok maybe the best mod so far for the $! Fits perfectly over the gas cap and with some industrial magnets inside the upper zipper it sticks to my tank even through 1/8" padding & that padding protects the tank from any wear or scratches.
Great fit for me because I ride so far back but might get in the way of others knees who sit closer to the middle. Much more room than I expected!
View attachment 162642
View attachment 162650

Yamaha TW200 Rack W/Bungie Loops
Welcome to ManRacks
$115 with PO money order. Ok I lied this is very best mod I did and the most expensive but worth it. I know many of you have this rack. So sturdy I can pick my bike up holding this rack & it does not get in my way when sitting back on the seat. Great product & thanks to
Mike at Manracks for a quick delivery!
View attachment 162690

Also added a tool tube $5 and did a quick seat release. Not sure if others have done this but works great and I have tested off road and have not had any issues with it coming loose.
Bike Quick Release Seatpost $5.82 for two.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/371703810451
View attachment 162682

Nothing most of you don't have already but thought I would share.
Thanks for your wisdom & humor...great forum!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will...thanks LT!
Are you still running 15/50 gearing?
I am good with my stock 14/50 sprockets but was looking at gaining a just little more speed in 1st gear but don't want to bog down the power in 5th when I do hill climbs or ride against a strong wind.
At my weight would it even be worth it?

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I sold my TW awhile back, but I really did like the 15/50, which worked very well for me on the street. I really don't do off road much anymore, my bones can't take the jarring. I'm pretty sure I weigh more than you and I was happy with it and the performance of the bike, so you probably would too. With a little work and a 15 dollar sprocket you'd know quickly. I'd say try it. There is still enough grunt to climb most hills. I remember my first thought..."why didn't I do this sooner"...

This year I have an almost new CRF250L which has a much more forgiving suspension, so I'm going to try a little easy off road stuff again...fire roads, etc.

Again, thanks for the contributions to the forum bro!! :)

***I love your Albert Einstein quote, so true.

I will...thanks LT!
Are you still running 15/50 gearing?
I am good with my stock 14/50 sprockets but was looking at gaining a just little more speed in 1st gear but don't want to bog down the power in 5th when I do hill climbs or ride against a strong wind.
At my weight would it even be worth it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I might try it to keep up with a guy I ride with who ironically just got an almost brand new CRF250L.
Thanks LT!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would agree with all the things like bar rises, pegs etc but I wouldn't change the gearing. I weight 200 and went to 45 teeth in the rear on both of our bikes. My wife weighs about 135 and was always out running me on acceleration and higher speeds. I went back to a 50 on my bike and do much better against her now. For a lightweight person I believe a rear 45 is good but 65 or 100 more pounds on this big is a huge difference. i have lashed rocks onto my bike that we find out in the desert which might weigh 40 pounds and I couldn't believe what a difference it made on my bike. i cant imagine putting a 135 passenger on back.

I really like our Shinko 241 front tire in loose conditions. I have run my wifes at 6 psi and just remind her to watch for the larger rocks. She's not aggressive so shes never had pinch flats. I've had my down to 8 or so but I can feel that I'm on the edge of possibly hitting too hard.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I might just try the 15T & Like LT says its just $15 and I don't mind switching back if I don't like it. Do they make a 51T rear sprocket? Up 1 both front and back might be an interesting compromise.
My next front tire will probably be the 241 but I will wear out my 244 before I buy. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I might just try the 15T & Like LT says its just $15 and I don't mind switching back if I don't like it. Do they make a 51T rear sprocket? Up 1 both front and back might be an interesting compromise.
My next front tire will probably be the 241 but I will wear out my 244 before I buy. Thanks for the suggestions!
You might as well get a left side case gasket, shift shaft seal, and drive shaft seal at the same time. You have to remove the side of the case to get at the sprocket, so it's a good time to take a look at those seals, and replace if needed. You can lay the bike to the right and do this without draining the oil... but if you're due for an oil change, you might as well do that now, too.

I bought LTs TW, which came with the 15T front sprocket. My other TW still had the 14T. To me, the 15T felt much better through all the gears... so much so, that I almost immediately bought a 15T sprocket for my other TW! Also, my brain likes multiples of five... 15-50 just feels better than 14-50. :dontknow:

LTs bike also came with a 244 front tire, while my other TW has a 241. There's a slight difference in handling on the gravel roads that my wife and I ride on, with the edge going to the 241, but the 244 is a great tire. Like you, I won't be changing that tire out until it wears out. Also, the 244 looks a lot better.

I'm 6'4", 235 lbs (down from 260 last July, shooting for 210 by this July), and I think heavier springs front and rear made the biggest difference to me. Stock springs were just way too squishy for a person my size. I've done most of the other mods mentioned in this thread as well, but springs would by my first mod if I were starting with a new bike.

Have fun! :eek:ccasion14:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts