TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to replace my helmet and I was wondering what you guys that wear a modular helmet are wearing. I'm currently have an HJC but I've had a lot of problems with the baseplate/gear mechanism that allows the shield to move up and down so I'm gonna try another manufacture.
I Kind of like GMAX's GM54 and Bell's Revolver and would like to hear any feedback from anyone currently wearing one of these helmets as well as from anyone else that's wearing any other modular helmet.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've used the HJC modular helmets and haven't been that happy with them myself. For the TW I've been wearing an off-road helment and goggles because I ride alot of off-road but as far as modular helments go for long trips on my DR650 I think I'm going to drop the money and go with a Shoie

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I think OSOK has the GMax G54 and loves it. It just seems like a natural progression for those getting older and wearing eye glasses all the time. I absolutely hate goggles over my glasses and getting a helmet on or off is a PITA because I have to remove the glasses and find a place for them while I unstrap. That place is on the ground because if I lay them on the seat they fall any way. I just need to find a place that carries the G54 so I can try them on for sizing.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
go try them both on...that may make the decision for you...if i had to choose between the 2 i would go with the bell just based on their rep having been around for a while as well as having a custom 500 motorcycle helmet and a mountain bike helmet by them

·
Registered
445 Posts
Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer Motorcycle Helmet | Riding Gear | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

That's the helmet I wear and unfortunately I have tested it and I am ordering the same one as a replacement. It preformed great in my crash and stayed locked closed on impact. As a bonus it has the option to be used as a 3/4 helmet if you want to, and as a full face it is great. I love the built in sunshade lense that allows you to quickly flip it up or down, no need to replace the main lense or get stuck heading home after dark with a tinted screen on. It is quiet up to 60+mph and has enough ventilation that even the black one is comfortable in the high heat and humidity of Savannah. It also is preset up for a comms system if you want to add one. I loved mine even before it proved itself. :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I dont wear one but I would like to check out the ls2 ff386. Looks like a decent helmet for the money. Its made in China but whats not made there.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have a Schuberth C3 that i love, most comfortable and quietest helmet i have ever owned. They are not cheap but with helmets you get what you pay for and head protection is a place i refuse to skimp on. The only other modular i would consider personally is a Nolan.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I had the Shoei for a bunch of years and loved it. When it came replacement time I tried to save some money and got the HJC. I am not happy with the HJC at all. My friend lent me his Nolan and it was very comfortable for the short time that I had it on. I will be making the same decision soon, thanks for this thread.

·
Registered
445 Posts
They are not cheap but with helmets you get what you pay for and head protection is a place i refuse to skimp on.
Exactly. Also I look for ECE certification, DOT is not enough for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The first HJC modular helment I had worked pretty well I think it was a Cymax II then I got the Cymax III that I havent' been happy with since day one. I like the looks of the scorpion EXO-900. For road touring and riding forest service roads I really like a modular helment but when it comes to trail riding and single track I just prefer an off-road helment and goggles it just feels right, I use over the glasses goggles and have no trouble there. Plus I like collecting helments for some reason lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wear a Nolan & never ride with the face piece up, but its very handy when you want to take a drink, talk, use a camera or spit. Lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm rocking a Shark Evoline ST2. Me and all my buddies love it. It's big and sorta heavy, but flipping that chin all the way around flush is amazing. The vents kinda suck, but not enough to bother me. If I'm riding, the chin is ALWAYS down. I don't have hardly any chin as is, gotta preserve what I got lol But it's perfect for comfortably drinking, talking, and giving goodbyes to the fiancee. Helmet has held up great though a TON of day-to-day abuse. If you can find the ST2, it's dirt cheap right now cause the ST3 is the newest. I got my ST2 last year when the ST3 just came out and it was listed as $499.99 and marked down to $249.99. Love my modular.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I have a Nolan N-102 for a few years now, happy with it but it could be quieter... My next street lid will be the Schuberth and I'm looking at DS helmets for riding the TW.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the Gmax. Its very comfortable for me and has lots of vents. It is pretty quiet also. I like the flip down glasses, they work well and are easy to retract. You can find it pretty cheap as well. I think I paid $126.
Lisa

·
Registered
814 Posts
Nolan

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I'm on my 4th Nolan. They fit my head. I'm planning on a new helmet for the TW. Will probably get another Nolan

·
Registered
23 Posts
image.jpg

Nolan N-103. Cost just south of $300. My second Nolan in last six years.
One of the features of the 103 that I really like is the hidden sun shield. A slide lever brings it down. Then just a push on the lever and it instantly snaps up and out of sight.
It is polarized so everything has that crystal clear colorful look. Next one will be a Nolan as well.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Finding the CORRECT fitting helmet can be a time consuming pain,cost is also a major consideration. I have a GMAX GM11d.The visor (or bill) is removable so you can use it as a normal street only helmet. If you retain the visor it is made so you can still wear goggles and have the visor in the closed position. The internal parts come out for washing etc..On my shadow RS750 I have a HJC (can't remember the model)....it is not a modular. GMAX if I remember correctly go abit above 4x?. If you have a dealer close to you,try on ALOT of different brand names.You may find that not all brands have a helmet to fit your noggin. Happy shopping.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts