TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day 1 video.

Camping on Moose Creek near Bovill, ID. Day 1 we ride around Beal Butte and Mica Mtn. Highlights of the ride were riding an old mine area filled in with water and now called Blue Lagoons by the locals, finding numerous OHV trails we didn't know existed, an unintended cattle drive, gosh they wouldn't get out of the way, very very cool to see a moose, and a nearby old truck along a dredged out creek and a bonus find of the Mica Mtn. trail system. We would return to ride more of the trails on Day 3. Day 2 will take us to Elk River then all the logging roads to Grandad Bridge and return.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Cool Kris. I saw a moose (my first ever) on the 19th.

I rode my CB500X up to Grangeville. The next day to Kooskia and turned east across HWY 12, eventually spending the night in Missoula Montana. Then reversed the route.
99 miles of twisty forest mountain roads with the river down below, between Kooskia and the border.
Damn. I took some pics just for you at a 1920's Ranger Station with Lookout Tower models inside. But apparently I deleted them off the phone thinking I had already put them on the computer.

The ride would be fine on the TW to The Lochsa Lodge. But if you continue past into Montana; the speed limit jumps too high. Spend the night at the Lodge and ride back to your truck the next day in Kooskia. Weekend traffic would probably be much higher though.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look what the moose drug out, other moosie pictures and videos. Very cool. This was the first bull moose I've seen this close. Not that it would've helped in my escape but should the moose have charged I kept my TW running. False peace of mind I suppose. Had I not been standing up on the pegs to rest my "rear-admiral" I wouldn't have seen it sitting down. Sometimes one gets lucky!

Day 1 pictures to follow soon. And by soon I mean sometime this weekend. This is a down weekend to get everything around the ranch back in order before I head down south to the Sweetwater ride with Fred and the boys & girls.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, gotta watch out for them mooses. They be dangerous.

So Kris, nice video. Very yellow foliage at times. Using a UV filter? New camera? Magic of the northern summer woods?

Backup Camera not so good when it comes to brightness. No filters just crappy camera. Does good when not so bright though.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The real Day 1 before the Day 1.

We're camping with grandma & grandpa and head into Moscow to watch "Dunkirk" with them and one or our girls...who works there. I think I qualified for the senior discount. Bummer as it's just another sign of getting older!

Woke up to the steam coming off the water in the early morning. This was a morning daily occurrence which was missed by most as they slept in too late to see it.

Then we stopped at the old Troy, ID High School on our way back from the movies.

Big school in it's heyday

Continued on the riding Day 1

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Riding Day 1 - not the movies!

Mrs. Admiral and I headed out of camp at the crack of 1100 a.m. ish and poked around an old open pit mining area now filled in with water.

At another nearby pit, we find this is where the fun is. The water looked inviting from a distance but up close it was kind of trashy from all the people who frequent the place.

On down the road, I spot this neat tree growing in a stump in a creek drainage just off of the roadway

At the same place, I find another neat item, the "Three stumped tree". You can see the old "Plank notches" the loggers used to notch in the tree's when they were cutting them down. This stump would have been from the early 1900's

As it turns out, there is an OHV trail system which starts/ends near these stumps. This was a rare single track trail entrance. Other than this 2-1/2 mile single track, all the rest of the trails were ATV and fun as all-get-out!

So we continued on down the road. Unknowingly, we took another trail and for the time being had bypassed the main trail system. This actually would pay off later in the day.

The payoff was me spotting this moose out in the water.

Had I not been standing up to rest my "rear-admiral", I would not have seen the moose. Unfortunately, Mrs. Admiral was ahead of me and missed the whole encounter. She gets to see the pictures just like you

He was a younger moose but still very impressive.

As seen in the earlier posted video, we found the OHV Trail. It was getting late but we thought the trail would take us back to camp. Took us the wrong direction so, after some really fun but short trail-time, we bailed off the trails back on the road and headed back to camp.

While I waited for the dust to settle after Mrs. Admiral headed off down the road back to camp, I spent some quality time with the Daisy's!

Continued on Day 2

·
Registered
435 Posts
When we lived in Wyoming it was common in the winter to have a moose in the Carport or bedded down in the front yard. Just give them there space and all's ok. You don't want to mess with a moose. People that haven't been around one have no idea how big they are, a 6' person just cones up to there shoulder, there BIG and that's a Shirus moose the ones in Alaska are BIGGER yet, a different variety

·
Registered
43 Posts
Up until a couple years ago we had moose and elk in the yard all Winter until break-up. Sometimes 40+ elk and groups of cow moose with yearlings. The last two years the moose are gone and the number of elk are down to a dozen or so. Wolves have been very hard on them and the mule deer are gone completely. I ride the Pack River drainage a lot and it's not unusual to see wolf kills of calves in the Spring that are killed and not eaten. NE Wash, ID panhandle and NW MT have too many wolves to keep the herds in balance.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Day 2

Today the plan was just to wander east. As the ride progressed I developed a plan to ride out to Pierce, ID, and back to camp. Well, that was extremely ambitious and we only made it to Grandad Bridge over Dworshak Reservoir before we decided to turn back for camp.

Highlights for the day were eating breakfast with our daughters at the General Store in Elk River, accidentally riding to Elk Butte Lookout, Grandad Bridge and being passed by riders riding the IDBDR, I'm guessing since they were dressed for it and the bridge was on the route.

Rode 20 miles to Elk River to have breakfast and it almost didn't work out. The cafe is only open Thur-Sun, the Expresso Coffee shop was wiped out of food by firefighters so we settled for a breakfast burrito or breakfast samich. Your choice...only choices at the Elk River General Store/cafe/ice cream shop/B & B.

After brunch, we visited the largest Cedar Tree or largest tree east of the Sierra's with the girls. Then it was just us two on our own. We try not to smile but we can't help it.

After departing the Cedar Tree Grove thingy, we ended up following snowmobile trails (old/current logging roads). From Elk River at the bottom of the map, we are now at the "Red Arrow" at the top. It's a "you are here" thing.

It wasn't on our ride agenda, cause we didn't really have an agenda, but our next stop was at Elk Butte Lookout. You can see it off in the distance on top of that green bump

Eld Butte had an old lookout cabin which was cool.

[h=5]First used as a camp lookout in 1912, a platform tower and log cabin were built in 1918. The cabin was burned by hunters, and replaced in 1926 (this cabin is still there). A 30' wooden tower with live-in cab was built in 1933. An army-surplus 80' steel tower, with the original cab from the 1933 tower at the 30' level, was built in 1948. It had been staffed into the 1990's, and is presently on emergency status. The tower is listed on the National Historic Lookout Register. (Elk Butte Fire Lookout Tower)[/h]

If you look close you can see the windows are open. Though we didn't see a vehicle here I wondered if the tower was manned. Not so much, the first 4-5 steps had been removed from the stairs to deter would be lookouts...like us!

Good views from Elk Butte

Despite hardly any log mills anymore, logging still goes on

Backwaters of Dworshak Reservoir from Tamarack/No-see-um Ridge

Dworshak Reservoir as we get closer to Grandad Bridge

Me taking a picture of Dworshak Reservoir from Grandad Bridge

As we were crossing Grandad Bridge some Adventure Riders passed us who were riding the IDBDR (Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route)

I was disappointed because they didn't even stop to day hi or chat for a second. Guess they were scared of us Idaho TWillbilly's

We ran out of time and turned around at Grandad Bridge and headed back to camp.

I missed this sign over the road back to camp but Mrs. Admiral didn't. 9 Toes, must be a logging camp!

It was another nice ride

to be continued on Day 3

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why do we have to work? I know it's to make money to buy stuff with but it sucks. I propose a barter for me riding the rest of my life (should have thought of this when I was 18 'er sump'in). My barter proposal is this; you, the employer, give me a motorcycle or motorcycles of my choosing and give me all the time off (or not come in at all) in exchange for me not showing up to work. Sounds fair to me. Want me out of your hair, done deal! Guess I have to wait for retirement and weekend days off for now gee-dang-it.

Moose Creek-Last Day

Kind of quiet up in the hills during the week...except for the logging trucks! Our goal was to finish Mica Mtn. OHV Trail we started a couple days ago. We started at the beginning of the trail but got sidetracked at Mica Mtn. Saddle. We diverted south on a mine road to check out mines on the mountain instead of continuing on the main trail. We ended up riding a loop over to Harvard, ID and reconnected to Mica trail at the west end near Little Sand Creek TH. We then rode the trail back to the saddle where we diverted earlier. It was getting late so we took a shortcut back to camp. I should rename it a "longcut" as we got back to camp at dusk. Imagine me keeping us out till dark :)

I like the outdoors. Moose Meadows. Not far from camp on our way to Mica Mtn. OHV Trail

Mica Mtn. Saddle. Even though we're up in the hills it's still hot. About 90 F. degree's so we parked in the shade.

Some awesome views from up top of the mountain

As mentioned, we diverted from our regularly scheduled route and rode south (downhill no less) and found at least one or two of the mines.

These hoppers have been here a long long time. See the tree's growing through the hopper framework.

I couldn't figure out what kind of mine equipment was in this spot as it was tipped over inside the structure

It must have been heavy because it looks like they used the plank wood as a foundation

Passing through the Avon, ID area (no town) I saw this goat (and a couple others) standing along side the road. At first, I thought they were free ranging it but as we rode by I could see they were on a leash type thingy

We then headed to town to get a proper education. There are a few other towns which have some Ivy League or College names. A couple I can think of off the top of my head are: Princeton, Yale, Stanford and what not.

We parked here for a half hour so I could take a nap. Gotta prepare for retirement don't-cha-know

More pretty

Once we were back on the Mica Mtn. OHV trail I did eyeball this 2 1/2 mile section of Single track. I don't think Mrs. Admiral wanted the "single track experience" so we moved along. But I was eyeballing it!

As I mentioned above, we took the shortcut back to camp. Nothing like relaxing around the campfire before a well earned sleep

And that about wraps it up. A few good hard days of riding in the woods

·
Registered
852 Posts
Up until a couple years ago we had moose and elk in the yard all Winter until break-up. Sometimes 40+ elk and groups of cow moose with yearlings. The last two years the moose are gone and the number of elk are down to a dozen or so. Wolves have been very hard on them and the mule deer are gone completely. I ride the Pack River drainage a lot and it's not unusual to see wolf kills of calves in the Spring that are killed and not eaten. NE Wash, ID panhandle and NW MT have too many wolves to keep the herds in balance.
I was living in bozeman when they were reintroduced into the park in 92 or 93. stunni g how much the landscape in the park has changed in some places especially al o ng streams and so forth once the deer population was brought back to an equilibrium. half the folks thought it was the greatest thing in the world. half thought it was the end of the world.

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I die I hope I get to go to northern Idaho.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
When I lived in Idaho I had 400 feet of frontage along the Priest River. There was an oxbow swamp next door that was home to the biggest bull moose I have seen south of Alaska. Some years he had a girl friend that he would give a calf to. I had a home made hot tub along the side of the river and once she and her calf walked by while I was mostly under water with a mosquito net hat on. She went by within 15 feet and never knew I was there scared to death she would stomp me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was hunting up along priest lake this past weekend. Saw quite a bit of coyote tracks and one wolf. Yesterday as my girlfriend was driving up to the ski area she saw a farmer chasing a wolf in his truck across a field. Her first thought was " wow, that dog is huge! Hahah

1 - 18 of 18 Posts