TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to talk 5 "Small tire"
TWers into coming out for this ride..3 of the bikes were the same color scheme...great minds think alike! We didn't have any 236cc snobs on this ride so everyone got along great

Started a little later than usual but i had church to go to...rode thru a place known as "walnut canyon". I didn't see any walnut trees..unless those are those tall spiky green things
Anyway, it was all fun easy trail until i decided to take a different way back. Ive been on the tracks i had before but it was a few years back on a quad...boy have things sure changed! I lead them up a few nasty hills with no top..and if you didn't keep your momentum you were almost out of luck. Rocks, loose off camber sections, more rocks..rocks that move..cactus that jumps out at you and people taking pictures and laughing when you fall over
We all made it up them...but once again i can see where the 70 tooth sprocket and terracross helped me. I was able to keep my speed up over the off camber sections without sliding down. I felt pretty comfortable going up most of them in second gear with plenty of lugging room and if things got hairy a little slip of the clutch and she was happy again. Even in second the front end likes to come up which at times makes it easier to go over a few ledges but you have to have your game face and underwear on.

What goes up must come down...i think that's what they taught me..and to get over to the main road we had one more nasty switchback hill to go up..then we were free!!!!!

Everybody managed to have a tip over..some people more than others..it must be a blue bike thing.
Luckily i have a white one now
No broken parts..4 sore asses (one guy had a 400 dollar seat so im sure his ass was fine) and a few more scrapes on the body armor and hand guards..

No videos of this ride...just piturs!!!!!

http://xdac.smugmug.com/4x4/1-8-12-tw-Superior/20967039_PSs9Rx#!i=1666087880&k=NRZ3m96

3 minutes after unloading we have our first spill of the day. Glad we got that one off our back early.

Heres superman...lookin good bud

Pic proof of fall # 2

proof of fall #3

Its no laughing matter.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Awesome ride pitchers. Great scenery, humans being human (falling), gnarly trails, and wonderful looking walnut tree's. I always wondered what walnut tree's

looked like!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
What a great ride !!

I guess it is good the first or (or second fall/crash) wasn't caught on film.

I have confidence my one and only crash would have made the cover of Crash & Burn circa 1983. Too bad the photos don't tell how steep some of the stuff really was. I laughed out loud at the photos. The jury is still out on the definition of fall vs. crash.

Good people, good ride and good times...all in all everyone had a great time.

By the way, who is superman ? The funny looking Adonis in the all blue outfit or the guy with 3 month beard?

Luckily, we were all able to walk/ride away from our falls and crashes due to the excellent gear we were wearing. I am still laughing at some of the photos.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It was a great ride! I'm hoping by tomorrow I'll be able to finally unload the T-dub from my trailer. BTW, your pics are fantastic.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Now that looks like a lot of fun and my kind of riding! Must have been pretty tough due to all the spills. Thanks for taking us along. Sure is a pretty area.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Cool to get that many dubbers together for a ride! Beautiful country, and great pictures! Always enjoy your ride reports, thanks.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
They say we learn something every day. What I have learned on my TW is that horsepower and gearing each have their own advantages.

On these climbs, many would thing the best thing to do it go wide open. WRONG. With my 15/50 set up, A gear up (second) using the torque then downshifting when you get desperate and keeping the momentum. Too much torque and wheel spin would hurt your momentum and your body.

Kat had his 1270 rear tooth and he was able to manage the power without having the rear spin out of control.

Of course, if someone was riding a 2 stroke 250 or 500, they would probably roost all the way up with a wheelie. These TW's are fun and if willing, we can really learn how to polish up our riding skills without even realizing it.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Looks like a great place to ride! Great pics and cool so many riders. We had 3 in our ride saturday probably because kinda short notice. Hoping to get alot more next ride. Looks like plenty of loose rock to make it very challenging. Better engine shield is next on my list....

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't know if my first one was a "fall" as the kickstand slid out on the gravel and I wasn't even sitting on the bike!

My second one (not photographed) about 100 yards from the staging, I was coming down a steep hill with a turn too fast (10 mph) and crashed. I went straight over the edge and landed 5 feet down. Luckily, a large pile of rocks broke my fall, not a nearby cactus. My leg was trapped under the bike in an awkward position and TJ had to help me remove the bike or I would still be out there (NEVER ride alone!). My ego was bruised along with other extremities. My brand new helmet was severely scratched, as I landed on it first, but it did its job! My riding armor & knee pads also worked. I won't a little crash stop me from crashing further, so I continued on the ride. Was sore the next day though.

The difference between a fall and crash is simple. A fall is 10 mph or less and a simple fall over to either side. A crash is higher speeds and usually includes more carnage, damage, & injury.

I crashed once and fell 4 more times on steep, rocky hills and in deep sand in a wash. I don't count the kickstand mishap as a fall as I was not on the bike.

Of course if I put an ATV tire on my bike, plush suspension, lower gearing, or bigger motor; am I really riding a TW up these trails or a hybrid? May as well take the quad up the hilly trails if you are gonna' put ATV tires on the TW. Or if you hop up the motor or suspension, May as well take the DR350...

The challenge is riding an actual TW on these trails...

I guess I'm more of a TW purist...

·
Registered
566 Posts
I enjoyed the pics. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I agree...200cc's, and stock tire. But you can put as many stickers on the bike and it still is a TW. Although I did put a longer shock on it for my height and just in case we have to clear a double or triple out on the trails.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts

[/quote]

Then ride a TW 125........purist...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know if my first one was a "fall" as the kickstand slid out on the gravel and I wasn't even sitting on the bike!

My second one (not photographed) about 100 yards from the staging, I was coming down a steep hill with a turn too fast (10 mph) and crashed. I went straight over the edge and landed 5 feet down. Luckily, a large pile of rocks broke my fall, not a nearby cactus. My leg was trapped under the bike in an awkward position and TJ had to help me remove the bike or I would still be out there (NEVER ride alone!). My ego was bruised along with other extremities. My brand new helmet was severely scratched, as I landed on it first, but it did its job! My riding armor & knee pads also worked. I won't a little crash stop me from crashing further, so I continued on the ride. Was sore the next day though.

The difference between a fall and crash is simple. A fall is 10 mph or less and a simple fall over to either side. A crash is higher speeds and usually includes more carnage, damage, & injury.

I crashed once and fell 4 more times on steep, rocky hills and in deep sand in a wash. I don't count the kickstand mishap as a fall as I was not on the bike.

Of course if I put an ATV tire on my bike, plush suspension, lower gearing, or bigger motor; am I really riding a TW up these trails or a hybrid? May as well take the quad up the hilly trails if you are gonna' put ATV tires on the TW. Or if you hop up the motor or suspension, May as well take the DR350...

And how much money do you have into your ds650? banshee? sand rail?

mmhmm...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I said I was a TW purist...

Then other toys are different...need the turbo...

Although I've already checked on putting a little turbo on the TW...About $1200 and should get 25hp with 5pds of boost...Then I would have to mod the suspension & put an ATV tire on it.

I have to post the video of XdaC riding into the tree, not a fall but an upright crash....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts