TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow T-Dub riders, I say and I would say most of you would agree that we need more backtire choices. Something with good size and tread pattern. Any comments?

·
Registered
59 Posts
What is there really to comment on? The stock rear tire seems to be good enough for most people. Those who want a street tire have choices, and those who want more traction use ATV tires and work around the fact that those tires weren't designed for this rim (these challenges appear to be minor obstacles for anyone with any mechanical or problem solving acumen).

The stock rear tire fails when it is used in a manner not consistent with the overall design of the bike: it is not meant to be a competitive racer through mud. The tire girth equates to relatively lower pressure per area on the surface, leading to the tire floating rather than digging in. Under most circumstances this is fine: riders who want to tread lightly are able to do so without leaving ruts. Going over sand and loose dirt without making a huge rooster tail is easy. But screaming through mud and obstacles is simply not going to happen. This is why motocross racers still use skinny tires: those tires are simply better for that task.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is there really to comment on? The stock rear tire seems to be good enough for most people. Those who want a street tire have choices, and those who want more traction use ATV tires and work around the fact that those tires weren't designed for this rim (these challenges appear to be minor obstacles for anyone with any mechanical or problem solving acumen).

The stock rear tire fails when it is used in a manner not consistent with the overall design of the bike: it is not meant to be a competitive racer through mud. The tire girth equates to relatively lower pressure per area on the surface, leading to the tire floating rather than digging in. Under most circumstances this is fine: riders who want to tread lightly are able to do so without leaving ruts. Going over sand and loose dirt without making a huge rooster tail is easy. But screaming through mud and obstacles is simply not going to happen. This is why motocross racers still use skinny tires: those tires are simply better for that task.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
While I do agree with you AKDOC, I will say that I would really like another dual-sport tire option. I am not willing to give up the street for an atv tire. For most purposes the stocker is adequate but for me it has let me down countlessly when a drop of rain hits the dirt. I understand that these tire companies need to make their money but at least one should try to compete with bridgestone or bridgestone should make another, more aggresive tire. I could go on for days about this but I won't. I may try to find a place to regroove my tires to open the tread up a bit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
While I do agree with you AKDOC, I will say that I would really like another dual-sport tire option. I am not willing to give up the street for an atv tire. For most purposes the stocker is adequate but for me it has let me down countlessly when a drop of rain hits the dirt. I understand that these tire companies need to make their money but at least one should try to compete with bridgestone or bridgestone should make another, more aggresive tire. I could go on for days about this but I won't. I may try to find a place to regroove my tires to open the tread up a bit.

You know what might be a good experiment (one I think I might try some day) is siping the stock tire and seeing if that changes the performance at all. It might decrease the longevity, but I honestly wouldn't care at all about that at all.

I just did a quick site search using the word "siping" and came up with a couple of threads, but nothing solid. Has anyone siped their stock tire? If so, how did it work out?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Siping is cutting slits crossways in the tread. The Bandag retread tire company was based in my hometown and was recently purchased by bridgestone/firestone. Siping was a big deal in retread tires and i actually had a set of retreads on an old isuzu pickup truck i had. Those retreads would have outlasted two or three of those trucks and i had 150 miles on the truck. Sipping helped a little on truck tires in the wet pavement. Sorry for the rambling. Maybe I should talk to a engineer in town that now works for bridgestone now and see if they would be up for some tw tire testing??

·
Registered
441 Posts
I agree with the need for more competitive options for the off road. Although the stock is quite good for a dual sport tire, there could be a slightly more aggressive tread that would still provide a smooth tarmac ride.

On the old forum this has been discussed in detail, right around the time when folks were discovered the maxxis bighorn, then the duro power and the rest followed.

A tire groover could be an option. I'm due for my third rear tire in about 1000 miles and may revisit this thought. It'd be really nice to chuck out just a bit - perhaps 10 mm or so of tread in between the center blocks. Siping would be cool, I think.

-Adam

·
Registered
130 Posts
While we are on tires....what kind of milage are you getting on stock tires? Im at almost 6000 miles on mine and the front is almost shot and the back is getting there. More pavement than i like...probably 80 road 20 gravel/dirt.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Siping may be good if you ride on ice but pretty much useless for any other reason except wanting to wear your tires out faster. I would simply recommend not riding on ice and avoid siping. It will not help with the mud issue. Mud is the only reason I think we need another tire option and siping will do nothing for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts