TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh.

Yup. The Schwa Ontario. :grin:

Because I'm laying up the composite layer by layer, the parts can be made super light; or super strong, depending on how many layers are being used, and what materials are chosen.

I'll use a layer of carbon fiber on the first layer, to give it an exotic look, but the rest of the layers (likely 3) will be glass fiber. Glass absorbs impacts better, un less I used all carbon to make a very stong piece.

But that adds cost. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Cool! Despite the itchy smellness of it, I like working with fiberglass. And this looks like a great application for it. I'm adding this to my mods to consider list. When it comes to time to replace my existing guards.

What did you use to stop your resin from eating the foam?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool! Despite the itchy smellness of it, I like working with fiberglass. And this looks like a great application for it. I'm adding this to my mods to consider list. When it comes to time to replace my existing guards.

What did you use to stop your resin from eating the foam?
Cheap composites use the stinky polyester type resins. Because of the solvents in those resins, they eat some foams. Epoxy resin is what I used. Exposure to the epoxies give some folks allergic reactions. I have never had such reactions (bog-rash etc.), in my over 30-years of messing with the stuff. I might be from outer space though... LOL

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might produce these. Possible in the winter months. I don't want to though. I don't like working, after I've come home from work. Retired from composite manufacturing.

They were shaped to the china aluminum guards, the ones that come in 3-colours on the ebay, with the crap bar-clamps (I replaced mine with adapted pieces) (I should have just got the Tusk ones).

They should be flexible enough to fit most, and can be easily cut & shaped to adapt.

If I make more that is. :D

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
"I don't want to though. I don't like working, after I've come home from work. Retired from composite manufacturing."

I get that! I used to be an automotive mechanic and I won't even look at other peoples vehicles. Still want to see your finished product though. Actually a pic of your whole bike would be nice.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good so far.

I'm now considering this process for a skidplate.
Nice. Full carbon plate would be the strongest, although it will have to be thick, to make up for it's stiffness being none shock-absorbing. A 1/4" or more. That will get pricey...
Pure glass would be great for the shock-absorbing, and would be affordable, but lack-luster. :rolleyes:
A good blended of both will be the ticket. Maybe some arymid in there as well.

Nice thing about it, is ya could flip the bike upside down, cover the entire area with some heavy foil, mold release the foil, then lay a huge pre-wetted lay-up on the foil.
When the plate is dry, release it and trim what ya don't want.

·
Registered
322 Posts
"I don't want to though. I don't like working, after I've come home from work. Retired from composite manufacturing."

I get that! I used to be an automotive mechanic and I won't even look at other peoples vehicles. Still want to see your finished product though. Actually a pic of your whole bike would be nice.
I was just thinking..."Who makes their own composite parts"???

Nice that you can manufacturer just for your own fun projects now! 🙂

·
Registered
13,330 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts