TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2017 Tw what a blast but would like a little more reliable power it is all stock what can I do

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just picked up a 2017 Tw what a blast but would like a little more reliable power it is all stock what can I do
Sell it and get a KTM 690. :p
If you do ALL the modifications (cam, carb, exhaust, air box, etc) posted on here, you may get to 17hp. This bike ain't gonna be a hot rod. Just enjoy it for what it is.... Low and slow.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Power-to-weight ratio improvements to our little bikes are relatively easy & cheap to find.
Power increases per se, are relatively difficult & expensive...and are generally found only in small increments.

Gearing changes appropriate to the way & places you ride, a perfect state of tune, lightening the bike and dropping 20 lbs. at the gym add up to real improvements you can feel.
So for I've dropped 25 lb. of blubber with diet & exercise and 21 lbs. from the bike.

I'm waiting for Trail Woman's kit to switch our 1800s tech "cast iron" rear wheels & swingarms to that marvelous 1900s tech...aluminum.
That will be the biggie! :cool:

PS - The most "BANG" for the buck will require a turbo & NOS system...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Press fit a 3/4 inch copper fitting with one street end over the exhaust. Paint it flat black. The scavenging effect will just about rip the tire from the rim. It will go so fast that you will have to stop at the nearest rest room. The weight to horsepower ratio will thank you.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ask your dealer about the Newest Power band BR-549 and then get one of these !! Velcro your riding boots to the pegs and fly!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
he said more reliable power. not more power. i have never been let down by my TW, so i'm a little confused, are you having problems?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he said more reliable power. not more power. i have never been let down by my TW, so i'm a little confused, are you having problems?
I am not having any problems this bike is for the wife but they are a blast to ride but being 6’3” and 235lbs I need a little more power out of one if I want one for myself

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
I am not having any problems this bike is for the wife but they are a blast to ride but being 6’3” and 235lbs I need a little more power out of one if I want one for myself
This is a very common request with not many common answers. You can embark on a continuing process of upgrading the carb jetting and shimming the needle, playing around with sprocket changes and a lighter front tire and even swapping an XT 225 motor in but in the end you will still have a TW that was never designed to rip through the trails like many other and much faster bikes. I just finished rebuilding a 1987 BW 350 and if there was a way to shoehorn that motor into a TW frame it would be an amazing transformation. If your wife is happy on her TW then just buy a different model bike for yourself that comes stock with the pep you want.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
Sanbullet – as you may have gathered by now, there is no cheap simple way to do this – the TW is what it is, and it’s good at it. Try to change that, and you might as well look at an XT250

I accept that at your weight and height you may find the bike “underpowered”, but as a 6ft rider weighing 180, so do I. But for a bike that’s a blast to ride and will climb up a tree, you can’t go wrong. The only deficiency, is that you’re not going to be approaching that tree at 80 mph, (or catching up with your wife on the trail)

I’ll leave it to you to decide which of those two is good or bad …..

In terms of things we’ve tried to get these things to go faster, from memory, sticking a 225cc head on there, high compression pistons, high lift cams, six speed boxes, bigger jets, shims under the needle, louder exhausts , sprocket ratios, tire pressure changes – and all we’ve ended up with (if you do “all” of the above) is an HP increase of about “one”

If you start to play about with sprocket ratios and tire pressures, you can get them up to 80mph (on a long downhill stretch) – but then you have to factor in the brakes, short wheel base, and your life insurance policy - (and you still won’t be able to keep up with the missus on the trails)

As Gary says above, the only way is to put another engine in there, but then you have the final drive sprocket offset to contend with, and you’ll be into it for thousands by then anyway

The reason we all get on so well on this board, is that we all accept the TW for what it is, and it takes a certain type of person to do that

Riding the TW is the difference between a horse and a mule, but a mule will get you to places a horse can’t (just takes a little more time getting there)

There are a whole bunch of things you can do to make this bike suit your frame and weight better, from tires, to fork springs, foot pegs, rear shocks, handle bar risers – the lot

But “more power” is not on the menu …..

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
I will add this to what I said and what Purple just said. If riding with your wife behind her TW off road is what you are doing then the single most beneficial and simple change you can make regarding performance would be to change to a 55 tooth rear sprocket. This completely changes the power curve and low end spunk but it also affects the top speed when on pavement. You can make the bike fit your size and do some suspension upgrades but adding HP is a myth unless you go to the extremes and even then there is little to be gained. A 55 rear sprocket makes first gear pretty useless but does put more torque under the seat and is pretty nice for trail conditions. Guys here like Fred, Admiral, TW brian, Elime and a few others have made about every change possible and none that I know of have found the additional HP you are searching for but they did make changes that worked for various types of riding.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You can play sprocket gearing and/or jetting alchemy or just accept it as it is... just a fun kick-around bike. You need more real "umph" best to do is get another bike.
Otherwise just enjoy smelling the roses.

·
Registered
72 Posts
While I agree that we have to accept the limitations of the TW and love it for what it is, I, like many others, have been bitten by the need to have a little more power. While I have settled with going to a 229cc 6-speed swap in the interim and a 242cc 6-speed swap in the end, I would not overlook the 214cc upgrade to the existing engine. Search for the threads about Elime's success with this approach - it may be just what you are looking for. I started down this road and have all of the parts to do it, but decided to go bigger in the end. Just my opinion, so good luck and enjoy the bike in whatever form it ends up in!

James

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I watched a show, (I can't remember which one) about Briggs and Stratton mowers being souped up. One guy put a motorcycle ignition on his Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine and it sounded at least like our TWs. It revved so much higher and more powerful than the other engines. My question is: Has anyone balanced and blueprinted the engine to get higher rpm and then used something like a Ninja 250cc ignition with 12k-16k rpm capability? Also there are other makes (Suzuki) which have fuel injection. Maybe higher rpm with fuel injection would get it really rolling. Just food for thought for all the High Output TW junkies.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'll just be an echo chamber. For real trail riding more horsepower does nothing. Put pegs and bars a way lower gear ratio and a better shock and forks on it and thats what you need. Ive put thousands of miles of hardcore Alaskan trails behind me and most of that has been less than half throttle. I bought a bigger cylinder for MIne e years back and soon realized that its of no benefit. Sit back enjoy the ride and see some country. Ive had bigger faster bikes in the past and got no pleasure from them. Youve got a great bike. All thats left is for you to see the beauty in what it is and quit trying to make it something that it isn't.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts