TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys and gals....i plan on riding my teedubb everyday...winter is coming on and was wandering if anyone had any suggestions on riding on a snowcovered paved road or packed snow as well.....any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance and God Bless!

Tom

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Get a better front tire than the stock. A Shinko SR422 would do. If you're getting on ice, get a spare set of tires and stud them. Hippo hands or (my preference) brush guards would be nice. Roll starts stop being a good option in the snow, so a kickstart is helpful, especially for the random dead battery.

I'm a big fan of having two or three sets of wheels with different tires for different situations.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
You can 'try' something like this to get a 'feel' for the effectiveness of studs. A box or two of these at the local hardware store should run about $12 and likely last a season. Should you end up feeling comfortable riding through the Winter, then you can invest in a second set of wheels and officially stud them. This made a big difference for me when walking on icy sidewalks. The screws were easy to put in and take out. Suspect the knobs on your tires are thick enough that penetration to the tube is unlikely as would be any significant issues with balance (all my opinion). Gerry

·
Registered
187 Posts
Guess there is a reason i live in socalif. This does not sound fun at all.

Couldn't agree more! In fact I hate snow sooo much I'm considering moving to south america in the relative near future

z

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my commute is only about a mile....i do have the factory tires...can the front one be studded with screws or is it really not a good idea? what length of srew does everyone reccomend?

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
my commute is only about a mile....i do have the factory tires...can the front one be studded with screws or is it really not a good idea? what length of srew does everyone reccomend?

I don't think you would want to try the screws with the stock front tire, not enough tread depth. I have a Shinko SR244 and as of yesterday, inserted some screws in the tread for testing. I'll take a picture of what I did and post it tomorrow. Not sure of the length of screw I used as I my measurement was compared to the tread, not a tape measure.

I did go for a test ride of about 2-3 miles on my gravel driveway to see if they would fall out. So far, all are still in place. I'll have to wait for the snow and ice to truely test them though! Oh yea, no flat yet either!!!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Couldn't agree more! In fact I hate snow sooo much I'm considering moving to south america in the relative near future

z

only 4300 miles of the andes right? some beautiful countryside though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tom,

I just had a set of new tires studded up for winter, I'm running the stock Bridgestone in the rear and a Kenda K760 up front. The rear tire (brand new) took 10mm automotive studs just fine, the 13mm used on the Kenda were too long though.

I would guess that if the front tire is still pretty new (low tread wear) than some 10mm studs could be used up front...

If you're going to try it out and you're still going to use the bike on paved roads I'd seriously consider true automotive studs over sheet metal screws or something like that. Auto studs are designed to leave a good portion of the rubber in contact with the road surface to maintain traction on dry pavement. Once they get broken in there's very little difference between studded and non-studded tires on dry pavement.

Where are you located? Are you in a state where you can legally stud tires? If so, just about any local tire shop should be able to do it for you. Usually costs about $.10 per stud...

Let us know what you end up doing!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
There's always chains as well, but if you're on pavement that's a waste of money and a little dangerous. I'm behind using proper studs or going a little shorter than you need so the tread wear doesn't make them weird.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
My intent with this experiment is to only test how possible sheet metal screws will work as winter snow & ice traction devices. With the sheet metal screws installed, I would not ride on any kind of pavement. My experiments will only be in gravel/dirt and hopefully snow and ice. As mentioned above, there are better alternatives for auto studs if one is going to ride with some pavement.

For this experiment, the sheet metal screws I used are just shy of 1/2 inch, which I think is about 12.7mm. So far, during installation I used a drill to install the screws and it was easy. As you can see, for this experiment, I didn't go overboard with a lot of screws and tried to keep this pattern throughout the tire. It's also very easy to remove the screws.

Took the TW out for another short ride today and have a total of about 5 miles so far. Thus far, all screws are still in place. We'll see what happens this weekend, maybe I can get more miles in for a real good test. Again, gotta wait for the snow, but it's close. I can see it up on the hills!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts