TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lurker now a member. Picked up a 2004 with 2800 miles and most were on road. Bike has seen limited use in last few years. Changed the old to find what looks to be aluminum flakes in the strainer and filter. Ideas on the source? I'm baffled at the presence of flakes at this mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Same here. Scared me on the first oil change. I had to go on here to discover its normal.

Second time was way better. Third time was clean.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Probably due to the PO not changing the oil, but I would look again in 500 miles. No need to change the oil then unless the filter has that much metal again. For most people 1,000 mile intervals are reasonable.

·
Registered
305 Posts
That's really not that uncommon, especially on the first few oil changes, any who knows when/if the previous owner changed the oil. I wouldn't worry about it. TW engines "blowing up" are virtually unheard of, and can almost always be traced to someone putting the wrong oil filter in, which wipes out the cam lobes and eventually locks up the engine via the cam bushings seizing. Make sure the filter has 4 small holes in one side. If there are only 2 or none, it's the wrong filter. There's been numerous cases of people getting the wrong filter at the dealer or the wrong filter in the right box.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The chunks will get smaller with each oil change ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I will try to ignore my inner voice saying '"metal in oil is not normal" and just keep riding and changing the oil. The filter I took out and the replacement are both the 4x hole variant..sorted that with the help of the forum.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Metal in the oil is normal during break-in is normal for these old technology engines....it is NOT normal after 1,500 miles!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Oil changes? Some out there apparently don't know what those are.....hopefully no-one who reads this forum. :p

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I know there are people who still stick to the 3,000 mile myth.
i'm one who has changed mine around every 3000 miles. Mine are nearly all street miles so that does make a difference. I have 46005 miles on it now. Off road is much more strenuous on the engines requiring more frequent oil changes.

·
Registered
378 Posts
i'm one who has changed mine around every 3000 miles. Mine are nearly all street miles so that does make a difference. I have 46005 miles on it now. Off road is much more strenuous on the engines requiring more frequent oil changes.
Sharing the engine oil with the transmission is very rough on the oil. Personally I would change the oil more often. But as this is not my only, or even my go to bike, I change it in the spring. Glad you are getting good service out of your oil. I wouldn't do it. And in cars you can go even farther between changes even with dino oil.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Sure, and we must have at least 300 or 400 here since the beginning. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts