TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the text from a CL listing in ABQ, NM that provides more info than any other listing I've ever seen for a "For Sale" bike. I'm not making fun of the poster., but rather just showing the level of effort invested to sell the scamp. BTW it looks clean. Tom

TW200 Yamaha Dual Sport
This one owner, 2003 well maintained Yamaha TW200 is like new. It has always been garaged and has only 1550 miles on it. Why pay $4600 for a new one, when you can by "like new" at this amazing price! Great for hunting or fishing or for commuting to work. It is made for both on and off road use. Call Tom @ XXXXXXXX
Key Features:
• Those big fat tires deliver great traction and rider comfort over a wide range of terrain, and they make the TW200 the most distinctive-looking dual purpose machine around.
• A low seat and compact chassis help inspire confidence in anybody who rides the TW200, making it one of the most user friendly on/off-road bikes on the market.
• Electric start and full street equipment mean it's super convenient to ride the TW200 just about wherever you need to go.
Engine:
• Strong-pulling 196cc air-cooled, four-stroke single delivers torquey low- and mid-range power perfectly suited to off-road exploring.
• Smooth-shifting five-speed transmission with manual clutch puts potent powerband to the ground for maximum on- and off-road performance.
• Internal engine counte rbalancer keeps vibrations down for greater all-day comfort.
• Maintenance-free CDI ignition system ensures precise, reliable spark for peak engine performance at all rpm.
• Easy, reliable pushbutton electric starting.
• Automatic cam chain tensioner means minimal maintenance and longer engine life.
Chassis/Suspension:
• 33mm telescopic front fork with 6.3 inches of travel soaks up the bumps for a plush ride.
• Lightweight box section swingarm and single rear shock with 5.9 inches of travel help enhance handling and overall comfort both on- and off-road.
• Hydraulic front disc brake ensures greater stopping power with less effort.
Additional Features:
• Long, two-tone, motocross-style seat creates a balanced riding position for optimal rider movement and comfort.
• Durable and wide front fender is designed to keep mud and dirt off the rider off-road.
• Frame-mounted passenger footpegs provide two-up riding capability.
• Enduro-style, 60/55-watt halogen headlight features high/low beams.
• Flex-mounted turn indicators offer greater durability against breakage.
• Durable fork shrouds help prevent rocks and debris from damaging fork sliders.
• Standard instrumentation includes a speedometer with odometer and resettable tripmeter as well as indicator lights for neutral, high beam and turn signals.
• Standard dual rearview mirrors.
• Dependable, low-maintenance battery.

Specifications:
DIMENSION & WEIGHT
Overall length 2090 mm (82.3 in)
Overall width 820 mm (32.3 in)
Overall height 1120 mm (44.1 in)
Seat height 790 mm (31.1 in)
Wheelbase 1325 mm (52.2 in)
Ground clearance 265 mm (10.43 in)
Minimum turning radius 1900 mm (74.8 in)
With oil and fuel 126.0 kg (278 lb)
ENGINE
Engine type Air cooled 4-stroke, SOHC
Cylinder arrangement Forward inclined single cylinder
Displacement 196.0 cm³ (11.96 cu.in)
Bore x stroke 67 x 55.7 mm (2.64 x 2.19 in)
Compression ratio 9.50 :1
Starting system Electric and kick starter
Lubrication system Wet sump
Engine oil type YAMALUBE 4, SAE10W30 or SAE20W40
Recommended engine oil grade API service SE, SF, SG type or higher
Engine oil quantity 1.00 L (1.06 US qt) (0.88 Imp.qt) without oil filter element removal.
1.10 L (1.16 US qt) (0.97 Imp.qt) with oil filter element removal.
Air filter element Wet element
Recommended fuel Regular unleaded gasoline only
Fuel tank capacity 7.0 L (1.85 US gal) (1.54 Imp.gal)
Fuel reserve amount 1.7 L (0.45 US gal) (0.37 Imp.gal)
Carburetor manufacturer TEIKEI
Carburetor type x quantity MV28 x 1
Spark plug manufacturer/model NGK/DR8EA or DENSO/X24ESR-U
Spark plug gap 0.6--0.7 mm (0.024--0.028 in)
Clutch type Wet, multiple-disc
TRANSMISSION
Primary reduction system Spur gear
Primary reduction ratio 73/22 (3.318)
Secondary reduction system Chain drive
Secondary reduction ratio 50/14 (3.571)
Transmission type Constant mesh 5-speed
Operation Left foot operation
Gear ratio
1st 34/12 (2.833)
2nd 34/19 (1.789)
3rd 29/22 (1.318)
4th 26/25 (1.040)
5th 23/28 (0.821)
CHASSIS
Frame type Diamond
Caster angle 26.0 °
Trail 95.0 mm (3.74 in)
Front tire type With tube
Front tire size 130/80-18M/C 66P
Front tire manufacturer/model BRIDGESTONE/TW31
Rear tire type With tube
Rear tire size 180/80-14M/C 78P
Rear tire manufacturer/model BRIDGESTONE/TW34
Maximum load 180 kg (397 lb)
WHEEL & BRAKES
Front wheel type Spoke wheel
Rim size 18×2.50
Rear wheel type Spoke wheel
Rim size 14M/C x MT4.50
Front brake type Single disc brake
Front brake operation Right hand operation
Recommended front brake fluid DOT 4
Rear brake type Drum brake
Rear brake operation Right foot operation
SUSPENSION
Front suspension type Telescopic fork
Spring/shock absorber type Coil spring/oil damper
Wheel travel 160.0 mm (6.30 in)
Rear suspension type Swingarm (monocross)
Spring/shock absorber type Coil spring/gas-oil damper
Wheel travel 150.0 mm (5.91 in)
ELECTRICAL
Ignition system CDI
Charging system A.C. Magneto
Battery model GM7CZ-3D
Battery voltage, capacity 12 V, 7.0 Ah
Headlight bulb type Halogen
Fuse 20.0 A

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am on cl a lot and one thing I have noticed, the longer and more detailed the listing the more overpriced the item is, not all, but it seems like most people that post this way are trying to get the maximum price and are less likely to deal on the item.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I get stupid replies from CL ads all the time. Usually asking some question that I already answered in the ad. There are stupid questions.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
The more I look at ads from around the Country, I am starting to think the 2011 I just bought with 63 miles wasn't that bad of a deal. My original thought was that I over paid a bit, but it was truly "showroom new". Done with the second guessing. Time to enjoy.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
CL "asking" prices on TW's in California have been on the rise for 3 years but this year you'll actually see 98's for $3200 and I'd say the median "asking" price for all years seems to be $3000 plus.

Inflation is alive and well in the TW 200 market :)

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Yep, $2900 for a 2011 with 63 mile, in showroom new condition is starting to make me feel pretty darn good.
I have to agree Borneo! If you found a 2000 with around 1500 miles in showroom condition you would be spending $2,000 or more. With just 63 miles you bought a showroom demo for at least a grand less than original. Add a kick start kit and start dolling your nice bike up for the way you like to ride and be happy. Around here I can find project TWs in the $500-$750 range but by the time I get finished I spent close to a grand just getting them mechanically sound and reliable. Tires, tubes, chains, sprockets, carb cleaning and rebuilding, tank cleaning and numerous other areas needing attention do not come cheap. Buy a TW that is completely ready to ride and go do it unless you like spending lots of time wrenching and a good chunk of cash. By the time I get my 88 running to my satisfaction I will have well over $1500 in it and it will be mechanically sound but far from showroom condition.

GaryL

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Unlike most people, I don't decide to buy something then go try to find whatever it is. I keep cash on hand and jump at opportunities. It pays to have many people who know you are interested in deals and will call when something pops up. I've never paid over $1700 for a TW, and never bought one with more than 712 miles. It helps to have cash on hand when someone decides to sell a good bike and puts it on Craigslist. Being ready to roll with a pocket of cash is the key to good deals on the internet.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Actually GaryL it wasn't a demo. I was the beneficiary of poor scholastic performance and bad decisions. A father bought the TW for his son. Apparently about four days after the gift the son came home with bad grades. Pop took the keys and it sat. Next term was not better. Pop kept the keys. Next term, ditto. The final stroke was the son got in some sort of additional trouble, which was unspecified. So, I got to be owner #2 at 63 miles.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Great wisdom querty, and rules I generally try to follow. Unfortunately since thebandit appropriated my 98 and I developed this great idea of two weeks in Big Bend... and him being my preferred companion, I locked myself into a time frame that didn't allow much waiting. That said, I am thrilled with the bike. I'm sure if I wasn't trying to get ready for this trip in a hurry I would have held out for a super clean older one for less money, but hey, I'm old and I had the money. Shiny and fresh was sort of a treat.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Nice to see that a bad boy created a good deal! I roll with qwerty and always have my cash locked and loaded for when the great deal falls in my lap. Being able to pull the trigger is what makes a good deal a great deal. Actually I am glad qwerty is a long way away so I don't have to compete with him and Bucknutz at the same time.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Cash on hand puts you in the drivers seat a lot of the time. My problem has always been too many driver seats. Last time I had just built my pile and was ready for a minty '70's enduro to pop up somewhere and derned if a guy didn't get into money issues and have to sell his long tail mud motor...and Borneo loves to duck hunt. I keep getting knocked back to zero.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
cash on hand puts you in the drivers seat a lot of the time. My problem has always been too many driver seats. Last time i had just built my pile and was ready for a minty '70's enduro to pop up somewhere and derned if a guy didn't get into money issues and have to sell his long tail mud motor...and borneo loves to duck hunt. I keep getting knocked back to zero.
toys r us!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts