1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20,467 Posts
Those look delicious.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
We usually go Morel Hunting in mid to late May in the Boyne and Mesick Area of lower Michigan....missed this year, due to a few issues...next year, I plan on taking the tw up that way....last year they were selling for $40 a pound from the locals....pricy but great tasing:

Mesick 2009.jpg MorelMushrooms.jpg

Life Long Buddy of mine's wife{we were best man in each other's weddings} usually makes up a custom "Hoodie" for the half dozen of us that go....plenty of beer and sometimes you run into a snake or two....this guy, a Hognose, we came across in 2011, and I ended up with a great photo opportunity... :)

Michigan Rattlesnake Firday, May 13, 2011 cropped.jpg

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We usually go Morel Hunting in mid to late May in the Boyne and Mesick Area of lower Michigan....missed this year, due to a few issues...next year, I plan on taking the tw up that way....last year they were selling for $40 a pound from the locals....pricy but great tasing:

View attachment 6927 View attachment 6928

Life Long Buddy of mine's wife{we were best man in each other's weddings} usually makes up a custom "Hoodie" for the half dozen of us that go....plenty of beer and sometimes you run into a snake or two....this guy, a Hognose, we came across in 2011, and I ended up with a great photo opportunity... :)

View attachment 6929
Ran across a hognose on our lake lots a couple of weeks ago, very aggressive acting snakes. I had to guard him from my 8 year old son though who is even more aggressive.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Yep, they act like a King Cobra...but when challenged, they "Play Dead"...pretty harmless....but we let this guy go on his{her} way....no reason to do anything else....

Reactions: howardgene63

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Even though I don't like them I don't go killing them. The do eat mice and shrews. Of course they get some toads too :(.
I didn't go out mushrooming. I did find 2 large white ones but the slugs found them first. Then I forgot them, at the neighbors.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
What makes these mushrooms so tasty/pricey? I am guessing we don't have them here in the south or I would have heard of them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What makes these mushrooms so tasty/pricey? I am guessing we don't have them here in the south or I would have heard of them.
There should be morels in South Carolina. Stands of timber in river bottoms are the biggest producing areas here. There are good morel spots in the hills though to. As to the taste they're really good, better than a good supermarket mushroom like a portabella. I wouldn't pay $40 a lb., but there can be a lot of walking in finding a pound.

·
Registered
487 Posts
There should be morels in South Carolina. Stands of timber in river bottoms are the biggest producing areas here. There are good morel spots in the hills though to. As to the taste they're really good, better than a good supermarket mushroom like a portabella. I wouldn't pay $40 a lb., but there can be a lot of walking in finding a pound.
Until my Father's last year with us, he was an avid Morel hunter. He took the best locations to find them to his grave. ( a couple of times, he came back from his morning search with a plastic shopping bag full ) He used to tell me that they were pricey, mainly due to the fact that they are very difficult to cultivate. Kind of like Truffles. Don't know if this is factual or not, but seems plausible.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
^^^ Morels just seem to grow on their own....I've tried seeding my back yard but it never works....Mesick is considered the Morel Capital of the US, but you can find them just about anywhere....the locals in Michigan have taken to "sweeping" large areas of woods with dozen of people...that takes the challenge and fun out of it{for me} but those folks are adding to their income and I can't blame them for that....even though I didn't go this Spring, with the wet winter{snow} the crop was late{still finding them} and robust, so I hear.

As far as the taste? You can dry them, we have pounds of them in our basement food shelter....but they taste best fried in butter and salt....usually like them with a nice steak or for breakfast next to a plate of eggs of your choosing.

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
I've found them around the house after buying redwood bark to put in planters and such. I guess the spores get in with the bark while harvesting the redwood and then later in the cool and shady spots around the house, they pop up from time to time. Yes, they are good too!

Reactions: Hoot Gibson
1 - 13 of 13 Posts