TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Getting passed and falling over -- I'm good at that too!

While watching I swear I could smell the dust. It looks like a great place to ride and that is it well used. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to clarify, that was just a video I found on youtube, it isn't mine. I will be heading there in a few weeks with my nephew. I was just needing something to help me survive the anticipation.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Old Ore Road

Old Ore Road starts about 1/2 mile or less away from your campground. That was our first ride in Big Bend. We spent most of the morning down by the Rio Grande overlooking Boquillas, then rode north on the Old Ore Road. It's 26.4 miles long.

Not too far in there's the grave of someone who didn't make it...He was murdered on this spot in 1933 by Joe Loftin, who was farming a couple of miles down the road. You can see
the ruins of his adobe house about 5 miles in, and 1/4 miles to the west.

A little farther along is Ernst Tinaja, about a mile west of the road...you'd have to hike in

We were outfitted for a "Bike and Hike" when we rode Big Bend...hiking boots, knee guards over the hiking trousers, long sleeved shirts and hats...we're pasty-skinned New Englanders, after all...

It took us longer than we expected to finish the road. The picture of Lynn's bike taking a nap was towards the end of Old Ore Road. Poor TW was feeling kind of tired by then.
It was evening when we rode the regular park roads back to the Rio Grand Campground.

Great day...and it was my birthday as well...

Attachments

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Several years ago a rider was killed on Old Ore Road. Be careful out there. Videos from one of my trips to BBNP:

Some idea of how vast and lonely it is:

If you get hurt, you could easily die before help finds you. That won't stop some of us from riding alone:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good thing about this state. You can carry a firearm on you concealed without a CCW. Being that close to the border......bring something for protection. Always good to be aware of your surroundings.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a ccw from Indiana, which is reciprocal with TX, but I never could figure out TX laws. It appears that even with a ccw you have to keep it hidden, which is not the case in Indiana. Do I have that right? I'm used to just strapping on a holster and not worrying about it because we don't have to conceal our weapons. I seem to remember that in Louisiana the opposite was true, you didn't need a ccw but the gun had to be visible. (That was a long time ago that I spent time down there and that may not be the case any more.)

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
When I had a Texas carry permit the law was permit required to carry concealed, no open carry ever. Yes, every state is different.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Tennessee is different. I carry a pair of 14-45s in crossdraws or shoulder holsters over a t-shirt. Nobody cares. I friend went to Afghanistan and left his 11-year old daughter with her teacher. She used to walk to my house at 04:00 with her AK slung over her shoulder to go deer hunting. She'd sling my BAR next to her AK, we'd hop on Tdub, and ride 17 miles through 3 small towns to the farm, then home again after daylight, and she'd walk home with her AK. Only problem we ever had was when a city cop in an unmarked car in plain clothes stopped her on the way to my house and demanded she get in his car. After she warned him, he stepped within 6 feet of her, then she brought the AK around and chambered a round. That got his attention. He was one step away from a double-tap with 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in the face. Fortunately, his dash cam caught the entire exchange and he never identified himself as a police officer, and she wasn't about to get in any car with any stranger.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pretty much same here in Indiana. If you have a permit you can carry your weapon as you please, concealed or not. I like a shoulder holster on occasion. But I have never been able to tolerate IWB. I have to have an external belt holster for hip carry.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Yup. I've found a mesh motorcycle jacket does a fine job of concealing shoulder holsters in the summer. Any pistol small enough for IWB isn't powerful enough for self-defense, especially against multiple assailants, and merely provides a false sense of security.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Yup. The girl is now 13 and really got my step-daughter into hunting and fishing. Those two girls could out hunt and out fish most any boys their ages. They could out shoot boys for sure.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At first I thought to myself "damb, those Tennesseans take their deer hunting seriously...hunting with AK's and M1918's"...then I realized you probably didn't mean the M1918. Heck of a mental image of two up on a TW with that hardware. Funny.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
At first I thought to myself "damb, those Tennesseans take their deer hunting seriously...hunting with AK's and M1918's"...then I realized you probably didn't mean the M1918. Heck of a mental image of two up on a TW with that hardware. Funny.
Well, limit is 3 antlerless per day. 113 days of combined bow, muzzleloader, gun, and juvenile hunts, plus quotas. I've had 300+ seasons. I've seen 3 dead deer in 6 seconds on numerous occasions. I've dropped 2 deer with 1 shot, just because they were dumb enough to line themselves up. Common to watch 50 does walk by in the 1st hour after sunlight on a Saturday or Sunday when the public land across the river looks like an orange groove. We focus on the 1-year old does as they are more likely to survive than young-of-the-year and have more breeding potential than older does. Civilian BAR, in .35 Whelen, Brennekes in a Mossberg 500 in 12, Para Ordinance 14.45, compound crossbow, atl-atl, and a cheap Walmart .50 inline with the name worn off are my tools of choice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts