TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just because you can,
Doesn't mean you should. I recently learned of a plot to release GMO mosquitos to control dengue fever and zika. Some asshole has invented GMO type of Aedes Egypti mosquito and wants to release them as a control for mosquito populations in places where these diseases are a problem, like florida and Hawaii.
Someone should shoot these idiots. For many decades the technology to give vasectomys to that specie of mosquito to control the population of mosquitos. Female mosquitos only have sex once in their lives and if it is with a sterile male they have no fertile eggs. This is a proven method. The males are sterilized by exposing them to radiation. One of the few good uses for radiation that I have heard of.
GMO mosquitos have been modified so that their decendents don't live as long and so that reduces the population. I much prefer the method that prevents fertile eggs. It is more immediately effective and does not have the risk of the mosquitos developing a breed that may be different in unexpected ways.
Scientists need to cease their god complexes about modifying species.
Ask Australians how they feel about the introduction of rabbits.
There were no rats in Hawaii before contact with white men. They came in the bilges of ships. Having no natural enemies they proliferated and became a menace to chickens and other farm products. So the smart white me brought the mongoose because it s a natural enemy of rats. This didn't work because the rats killed chickens at night and the mongoose killed chickens in the daytime. Since they worked different shifts, they didn't meet. The mongoose just became another invasive specie menace.
Do we really need to introduce another potential new menace among mosquitos? Sounds pretty dumb to me.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Science didn't create the rabbit problem in Australia, moronic landowners did like most of the other pests here (and around the world). Science, however DID reduce the problem first with the Myxomatosis and again with the RHD.

Is science the problem here or white men?
Define white! You Aussie's are a tan lot from where I stand:)

Tom

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Was it a white scientist that discovered....

What?

Oh probably nothing worth while....

Lister,

Alexander Fleming,

Charles Darwin,

Alfred Russel Wallace,

Carl Linnaeus,

Stephen Jay Gould,

Rachel Carson, (white woman)

David Baltimore,

Louis Agassiz,

James Watson,

Carl Ernst Von Baer,

Thomas Hunt Morgan,

Louis Pasteur,

.... I could go on , and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on

Some people....

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
George Washington Carver did a hell of a lot with the peanut though.

I'm trying to think of other major accomplishments of people of color....

I'll be back. Wait here.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Didn't we once have a president what was a peanut farmer? A conspiracy I see. Be glad they didn't introduce snakes to Hawaii to control the rats. The smarty pants wanted to someone had some sense. Never brilliant idea to assume the "God position" irrespective of race,creed or color. GMOs will be the end of the human race in time but nobody seems to care.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Didn't we once have a president what was a peanut farmer? A conspiracy I see. Be glad they didn't introduce snakes to Hawaii to control the rats. The smarty pants wanted to someone had some sense. Never brilliant idea to assume the "God position" irrespective of race,creed or color. GMOs will be the end of the human race in time but nobody seems to care.
You seem pretty convinced. What are you basing that conclusion on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oxitec uses advanced genetics to insert a self-limiting gene into its mosquitoes. The gene is passed on the insect’s offspring, whenever male Oxitec engineered mosquitoes are released directly into the wild and mate with wild females, their offspring inherit the self-limiting trait. The resulting offspring will die before reaching adulthood, additionally, the local mosquito population will decline.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts