TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've accumulated so much spare TW crap that I'm considering building a totally useless street custom from "The Pile". Something barely legal enough to cruise downtown for a latte would be fine, as long as it isn't so squirrely that Purple can't ride it.

I've been all over the 'net, but haven't seen anything that trips my trigger. Plenty of street trackers, hollow mods and Jap bikes with bolt-on goodies, but nothing truly radical.

Something along the lines of THIS:

http://www.chabottengineering.com/web photo/1960 honda c100 hoon/moto hoon.html

http://www.bikeexif.com/shinya-kimura

Shimura's Hoon.

That's right. Totally useless, ill-handling and excruciatingly painful to ride for more than 10 seconds. Probably louder than it has a right to be. In short everything I hate in a motorcycle, and I'll deny I ever built it. lol.

Anyone ever found a website with a preponderance of pointless exercises like this, or any individual specimens of similar small displacement choppers?

I actually think the Hoon is cool. But don't tell anyone.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. The skateboard thing and the paint are kinda cool.

I'm kinda leaning toward the long and skinny look. 21's on both ends, more or less see-through kinda thing. But anything out of the mainstream will have an idea or two worth looking into,

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Hard tail, rake, springer, peanut tank, overstuffed solo on springs, suicide clutch, jockey shift, apehangers, TW204 rear, Shinko 611 in MH90-21 on a spool, forward pegs, leather tassles and grips, Maltese cross taillight and mirrors,

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinkin level top tube like a bicycle, but 4-6 inches further forward, tiny tank and shortie front end but with lots of rake and a 21. Major frame surgery not a problem.

Wide open on the rest, but with a lot of goofy details. Maybe incorporate old bike and car parts into it here and there. Connecting rods as hardtail struts, that kinda stuff. But keep it light and airy looking. Like some of the dainty little Sporty show bikes that Arlen built back in the day, but scaled down so it looks right.

The Japanese seem to be locked into the '70's right now, and most of their available cannon fodder is under 250cc's, so I've been going through those sites looking for show bikes along those lines.

I might change direction entirely if I see something I like, but it gots to be way out of the ordinary.

All weird ideas solicited.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I don't remember the name, Sebastian I think (a member of this forum from Germany [?])? I really liked his Motocrossed TW with XT250 (?) front end and wheel/tire, and other mods. I know that's not what you're looking to build but the title of your post just made me think of that one. It's amazing how many different things have been done with the TW!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Hard tail, rake, springer, peanut tank, overstuffed solo on springs, suicide clutch, jockey shift, apehangers, TW204 rear, Shinko 611 in MH90-21 on a spool, forward pegs, leather tassles and grips, Maltese cross taillight and mirrors,

Yeah! That's close to what came to my mind when I read the original post.
Add the brick sized b**ch seat on a rear fender and you got it.

Mini-chopper.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That's real close. Somewhere between a boardtracker and a salt flat racer/ drag bike.

I swear if I have to look at another Deus "custom" TW I'm gunna puke.

All the Jap TW's are starting to look alike, too. Don't they have welders over there?

I guess they're all tied up at the moment building ridiculous swingarms.

Move on.

·
Registered
793 Posts
That's real close. Somewhere between a boardtracker and a salt flat racer.

I swear if I have to look at another Deus "custom" TW I'm gunna puke.

All the Jap TW's are starting to look alike, too. Don't they have welders over there?

I guess they're all tied up at the moment building ridiculous swingarms.

Move on.

The TW's in Japan have moved on like 6-7 years ago maybe longer. Japan is trendy. Even with cars in japan. There a was a station wagon thing to a Vip car thing ect then it went away. It started with the TW then other bike companies made their own version of tracker style or grass tracker bikes. Big boy,FTR,Van Van. Then came those Big scooters and the trend went with them.Then Motard bikes.Now there actually is no trend going on. Goes to show you even Japan has economic troubles. Yes there are welders in Japan. Some of the best in the world. Their are things you just don't know about Japan. The government makes it hard to do anything to any vehicle. You might see alot of those cars and bikes all tricked out. They have to go through a inspection every 2 years. So either they know someone who is government certified passing them on their inspections illegally(of course you pay way more to get it done since the guy is laying his license on the line) or take everything off make it stock for the inspection and but it all back on or its a show car or bike or go the legal way and get it re registered by a inspector at the DMV who is militant. You will fail a inspection on anything. You can fail a inspection with a torn steering boot. I did. Leaking oil of any kind. No mods that are not government approved so even mufflers can fail even if they were brand new aftermarket ones just because it doesn't have a JOG stamp on it. Cops are vigilant as well they don't fuck around they are like the military. Rules and laws are 99% black and white in Japan and they enforce it black and white as well.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. Splains a lot, particularly why everything coming from Japan looks like a bolt-on.

I feel for them. I guess they're doing whatever they can get away with and stay within their laws.

Pretty dull stuff to me. Sorry. I don't see what all the fuss over Jap Style, Bratstyle, et al is about, but now it at least makes sense.

I do have one question, because none of this seems to apply to large-displacenent customs over there. Do they have their own version of "Boyd Coddington Effect" goin' on over there? He who has the munny gets away with whatever he wants? I'm somwhat familiar with the laws which promote "Kei cars" but always wondered if that was also the logic behind their motorcycle laws.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Splains a lot, particularly why everything coming from Japan looks like a bolt-on.

I feel for them. I guess they're doing whatever they can get away with and stay within their laws.

Pretty dull stuff to me. Sorry. I don't see what all the fuss over Jap Style, Bratstyle, et al is about, but now it at least makes sense.

I do have one question, because none of this seems to apply to large-displacenent customs over there. Do they have their own version of "Boyd Coddington Effect" goin' on over there? He who has the munny gets away with whatever he wants? I'm somwhat familiar with the laws which promote "Kei cars" but always wondered if that was also the logic behind their motorcycle laws.

Been wondering about that as well.
Its true if you have the money you can do alot. Japan loves to tax everything. You can do alot of things as long as you either don't get caught or re-register it. It applies to all vehicles no matter what size. When you re-register things and they don't break regulations your vehicle is no longer a honda,toyota or whatever. Its categorized a a modified. You get a harley and change the rake of the forks and re-register it. It is no longer a harley but a modified registered under harley like. Yes you do have to pay more taxes EVERY year while you posses that vehicle. Like you said it. People with money. When Japanese get a hobby they go full on. That is why you see soo many radical cars and bikes,but again its the whole if you got the money. Their are Japanese people who love Americana and the whole hot rod scene. I think the laws of Kei cars are worse. Nothing over 660cc and a certain dimension L(11.2ft) W(4.9ft) H(6.6ft). 661cc or making it wider,longer or taller it will no longer be a kei car. Black and white rules again. In the inspection they actually measure your car!!?!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have a similar situation here in Cali. We're the largest custom bike/truck/motorcycle mecca in the world, and a huge majority of the Superstar-type builders have exploited the Special Construction and Historic Vehicle laws for their own gain for so long that it has become nearly impossible for the average Joe to get anything self-constructed and registered.

My car show buddies tell me that it's gotten to the extent that the gendarmes show up at car shows with magnets. If it's glass and you've registered it as historic they'll yank your plates.

Fortunately when it comes to bikes I can make anything out of anything else as long as I have a registerable existing VIN number. All I need is the steering neck and engine numbers

and I can more or less change every tube in between.

It would be interesting to hand someone like Shimura or any of the more imaginative builders these design parameters:

"Design me something. Here's a copy of the Vehicle Code. Make it as radical and unrideable and artsy as you like, with the following caveat: It has to pass muster with 6 random L.E.O.'s. You can calculate tail light sizes to a gnat's butt, make it .0003 decibels below the legal limit and run the headlights with a watch battery if you wanna, but when they walk away you'll be ticketless. Oh, by the way it has to be both lighter and faster than the stock bike it grew from, or there's no point to it for me."

That oughta sort out the true artistes from the profiteers. I think some of them are up to it.

I'd even watch the build-off.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Thinking about this thread while riding today, I came across a really nice public lake with the road ending as a ramp going right down into the water. And it hit me.

AMPHIBIOUS!

I'd like to work up some ideas for a TW200 powered land-water ATV. For deep water crossing, or lake touring.

Hey... an Idea just popped up as I was typing this... a little easier done than a full amphib mod.

How about a combination trailer/pontoon platform that you tow to the lake with the TW and camping/fishing gear loaded on. Then the TW powers it on the water with the front wheel connected to the rudder. Power transfer from the rear wheel to rollers connected to either a propeller or paddle wheel.

Still... a true amphibious, yet still street legal mod would ROCK! Then you would have to get a picture of it next to a DUCK, and a VW Schwimmwagen.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Chittychittybangbang style inflatable collar. I'm pretty sure some significant thrust could be generated by a TW33 or 34 in 5th gear at a fast idle. Ride into the water, hit the button, pfffft, ride on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts