TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife is going to take delivery of her brand new Honda Foreman 500 this afternoon....What should I start budgeting for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Oh and I love the atv handlebar mitts when it's cold.....as long as I can remember where all the buttons are cause once they are covered up I kinda forget where everything is.

And a WINCH!!!!! I've used our winch to pull bushes/trees out, help get myself out of a nasty spot, help pull The Admiral out of a nasty spot.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and I love the atv handlebar mitts when it's cold.....as long as I can remember where all the buttons are cause once they are covered up I kinda forget where everything is.

And a WINCH!!!!! I've used our winch to pull bushes/trees out, help get myself out of a nasty spot, help pull The Admiral out of a nasty spot.
Winch is a given....gonna put a plow on it before winter....have a blade for the small tractors but i think a plow on the wheeler would be handier for the cost....

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Winch is a given....gonna put a plow on it before winter....
Just something to look into. I've seen subjects talking about the short raising and lowering of the plow to be bad for (hard on) a winch. I've had a wench, but never a winch - so no personal experience, but you might look into it. They make a ???(mini plow winch) designed specifically in a manner for the short and constant up and down movement of the plow.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Looks like a very solid machine. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I think they still make stiffer front shocks for plowing. Don't know how much you plan on doing but it may be something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just sold my Brute Force and got the TW. Had almost 7000 miles on it. In all that time I used my winch once. And it was to pull out somebody I didn't know, who had got caught in the soft snow on the side of the groomer track and got stuck.
If you have other uses for a winch, bonus (yard work, dragging stuff around the old homestead...).
I had some useful things on the Brute, but I'd say the one thing I wouldn't wanted to have been without was the back seat. (Please save the safety comments) The main function of it was storage, and lots of it. It doesn't interfere with riding, and the u-shaped storage holds a LOT of gear, and the cushioned seat is the prefect spot to put a medium sized cooler, and I've also plunked a 5-gallon gas can on the seat for those long days, or a weekend in an area where you can't get to a gas station...whatever large item you put there is already blocked on 3 sides, so it's easy to secure and you don't even know it's there. While it's not considered safe to do, you can carry a passenger more safely and comfortably (if you need/choose to) than sitting on the rack.
They have some seriously huge and fancy ones if you're riding two-up a lot, but for if it'll be mainly used for storage you can pick up a basic one on <insert your applicable Internet classifies website here> for likely $50 or so.
Again, please no safety posts. Everything is dangerous, but common sense needs to prevail. My wife rode on the back a fair amount, and if something looked the slightest bit iffy, I stopped, she walked, and I picked her back up on the other side.

A good solid windshield and fairing is also awesome in the winter, but I cut down the windshield a few inches on mine so I was looking over it rather than through it. The first splash of mud on it and you're trying to see through mud all day. I put my fairing and windshield (VIP Air) on as soon as I got it and didn't realize the huge difference it makes until I went for a winter ride with it off one day.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I've got a Polaris atv and the number one most used accessory is a good thick nylon tow rope (about 20-25 feet long) with metal hooks on ends. I have a winch on mine which I've used to pull out a few people but the tow rope is quicker and will do the job 99% of the time.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your tips all!!! First thing is one of the throttle extenders....wife has real small hands and after just a little bit of riding she is complaining about a tired throttle thumb...

·
Super Moderator
18,001 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
That's another thing I have experience with..hehe I tore my UCL and built a throttle extender out of a piece of brass.
I would really advise against the commercial ones. They're just too long. And I used one, and other warnings turned out to be true....they're long and they stick out and you WILL hit it with your knee or something on a bump. Dangerous as all get out.

An extension of less than an inch will add a LOT of leverage. Even with a healing UCL I was able to easily use the throttle on the Brute (twin carbs, so that thumb was working for two) and maintain control.

I bent and shaped a little piece of brass (something brassy looking), cinched it down with a couple zip ties, then put a piece of shrink tube over the while thing and it was pretty, smooth, and I ended up leaving it on forever. because it was smooth and flat you could push at the intended spot, and then if your thumb got tired, you could just move your hand a little further out the grip and get more leverage. And it wasn't a huge paddle sticking out and getting bumped by knees, etc. And, with a longer arm, it's VERY easy to go into a spastic throttle-jamming off-on situation when going over a rough trail and hit a bump and you jam it by accident.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's another thing I have experience with..hehe I tore my UCL and built a throttle extender out of a piece of brass.
I would really advise against the commercial ones. They're just too long. And I used one, and other warnings turned out to be true....they're long and they stick out and you WILL hit it with your knee or something on a bump. Dangerous as all get out.

An extension of less than an inch will add a LOT of leverage. Even with a healing UCL I was able to easily use the throttle on the Brute (twin carbs, so that thumb was working for two) and maintain control.

I bent and shaped a little piece of brass (something brassy looking), cinched it down with a couple zip ties, then put a piece of shrink tube over the while thing and it was pretty, smooth, and I ended up leaving it on forever. because it was smooth and flat you could push at the intended spot, and then if your thumb got tired, you could just move your hand a little further out the grip and get more leverage. And it wasn't a huge paddle sticking out and getting bumped by knees, etc. And, with a longer arm, it's VERY easy to go into a spastic throttle-jamming off-on situation when going over a rough trail and hit a bump and you jam it by accident.
Did you use brass tubing? Or flat?

·
Super Moderator
18,001 Posts
The price is right. I kinda like GCFishguys idea though. I've never had my knee bump one. His comment on the spastic on off throttle when hitting bumps is true though.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I completely forgot about the throttle extender.. went years without one until The Admiral finally got tired of my complaining. Once we got it, I loved it.
I did not have any issues with it being too long, didn't cause me any problems in rough terrain, and it fit nicely under the ATV mits.
This is the one we bought, but I'm sure you could very easily make one with things you got laying around..... a little duck tape and a chunk of horse hoof and you got yourself a real homemade Idaho throttle extender!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JMKEJ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I completely forgot about the throttle extender.. went years without one until The Admiral finally got tired of my complaining. Once we got it, I loved it.
I did not have any issues with it being too long, didn't cause me any problems in rough terrain, and it fit nicely under the ATV mits.
This is the one we bought, but I'm sure you could very easily make one with things you got laying around..... a little duck tape and a chunk of horse hoof and you got yourself a real homemade Idaho throttle extender!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JMKEJ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Im thinking baling wire and a deer antler tip...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just looked at the junk laying on my cluttered workbench and grabbed what I believe was a thin hanger that a curtain rod would hang on. It was just flat material that I had handy and could bend into the shape I wanted. It laid flat on the stock throttle, then I secured it with two zip ties to the left of where my thumb would ever be. I used the commercial ones as a rough guide on how long to make mine, but ended up taking a lot of the length off it as it was way overkill. And I often rode two-up so was sitting forward a bit and at the 'eyeballed' length it would get pushed when riding two-up and standing, leaning over the bars some, etc. Depending on how mild the riding is, it may never be an issue, but just wanted to make sure you realized just how much more easily the throttle will get stabbed... Be aware. And yeah, more than once I got a scare when you get bounced just the right way and your thumb goes into the throttle when you don't want it to. Multiply that by at least a factor of 2 if you double the length of the lever.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts