TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year sure has been a busy one as far as nature doing dramatic and destructive things. Who hasn’t a story of weather related hardships of the wet, windy, dry and/or flaming events?
i could make jokes about the irony of a recent wildfire that broke out just behind my local fire station and somehow burned across an irrigation canal...

However with 40 mph gusts anticipated this one blowing towards town has folks nervous. They just started attacking it with air assets before the winds exceeds safety limits...

At least the hurricanes are going to make this a good year for yacht sales. Waste disposal firms and plywood vendors will post good returns next few quarters too.;)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
You are correct Fred. I remember some of your hardships from all that water washing away your roads to your house, your picnic area etc. I think the USA took enough of a hit this year. I hope this is a once in a lifetime happening of tragedies this year.

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My prayers to those adversely affected.
I'm lucky this isn't burning in my direction... yet. Not much progress in last two hours. No easy ground crew access and strong winds seem to have grounded aircraft for the moment.

Found out aircraft were diverted to combat another wild fire a few miles away that is threatening homes and causing evacuations. My local fire burning in heavy timber will understandably receive less attention in the coming days.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
fires are only going to get worse... whether because of drier conditions (read climate change) and/or increasing number of people living closer and embedded in forested areas.

they had an interview with a woman in houston, her house was in a 1 in 500 flood zone.... and she had been flooded 3x in the last 5 yrs. but hey, no zoning in houston!

i know it's somewhat hypocritical living in california and knowing someday the big one is going to hit us, but people that keep rebuilding hurricane after hurricane, flood after flood... somethings should be bought out or prohibited.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
There are some beautiful areas in Houston in flood zones. Now I think everything is a flood zone. One big problem was they built houses in the reservoirs. The other big issue are home owner associations. There's about 5 acres close to me in a flood zone I would love to have. I would build it up about 12' in the air and have an elevated parking area for the big rains. I would also have at minimum a johnboat and engine readily available for transportation. This however would devalue other homes so it isn't allowed. I thought 3 floods in 2 years in your house devalues your house.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
That is the age old question, how close is too close? We all tend to like what we like so lake side, river side, ocean side or in the woods are highly desirable locations for our homes. Those are also often in the flood and fire zones. Here where I am I have both water close by and lots of big trees real close yet my house is not considered to be in either a flood or fire zone. In the past 8 years we have had 2 big floods and both came dangerously close to my house and both times flooded my basement plus took out the bridges and culverts keeping us with no access either in or out to get to town. Just across the road we had a pretty big forest fire started by loggers that took 3 days to get under control but never got near our house. Had they started that fire on my side of the road my house would have been toast based on the wind direction at that time. Insurance is never enough and I seriously doubt I could even buy or afford flood insurance here. When I look around at everything I own it becomes super apparent I could never replace it all with the dollar amount of insurance I do have. I call it DID-DID, damned if I do and Damned if I don't. My property has never actually flooded and there has never been a real big forest fire here that burned any of the close homes but it damn sure could happen at any time. How much insurance to buy is always the big unknown. Money thrown away for every year we survive untouched but well spent and totally inadequate when and if it ever does happen.

My neighbor has lived right here all his life and is 93. He has never seen a flood or forest fire that took any homes here but about 10 years ago while he was in Florida his home was robbed and the thief's torched it as they left. Burned it to the ground and he was way under insured as far as the contents went but the home itself was covered and rebuilt. They got caught and spent 7 years in prison but he lost a lifetime of personal possessions that can never be replaced. None of us ever really think that deep but just for fun look in your clothes closets and dresser drawers and try to put a real dollar replacement cost on what is in them if you had to go out and buy it all new today.

GaryL

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think people should be allowed to live wherever they want, but not expect to be bailed out by me if they loose thier homes if they live on the beach, flood plain etc... at least Houston has economic value, many areas are populated just becuase of weather or scenery (FL, much of the East and West Coast). Again, no problem with people living there, but if you can't insure it, the banks wont lend, then pay cash and be ready to absorb the loss, I don't owe to rebuild your house.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I think people should be allowed to live wherever they want, but not expect to be bailed out by me if they loose thier homes if they live on the beach, flood plain etc... at least Houston has economic value, many areas are populated just becuase of weather or scenery (FL, much of the East and West Coast). Again, no problem with people living there, but if you can't insure it, the banks wont lend, then pay cash and be ready to absorb the loss, I don't owe to rebuild your house.
I think I have to agree with you Matt. Government needs to step up and repair the infrastructure but has no business rebuilding any private homes or businesses. I am OK with low interest loans to private individuals but not OK with free hand outs from all the rest of our dimes.

GaryL

·
Registered
158 Posts
way up here..lol northwesteren ontario we have been lucky not to have big weather problems but the rains have really chaged a lot . we seem to be getting big down pours , but being a small town there is enough mother nature here to take it all in... so far so good...

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
way up here..lol northwesteren ontario we have been lucky not to have big weather problems but the rains have really chaged a lot . we seem to be getting big down pours , but being a small town there is enough mother nature here to take it all in... so far so good...
Funny how we have all been led to believe the weather patterns have changed. A quick look back at the weather records over the past 100 years tells a different story and pretty much derails this whole climate change garbage being shoved down our throats and up our collective asses in the form of big money going to the exact wrong pockets. Back in the early 1950s as a kid living in this same general area we often got numerous big heavy snow storms of well over 2-3 feet at a time. Then we went through a few decades where we didn't get those big storms very often at all and instead a lot of much smaller storms but they all tended to equal very similar amounts of annual snow totals. In the past few years we are getting back to some monster storms and real heavy rain totals but again, just cycles like in the past. You can call me a climate change denier but you would be wrong. I just refuse to believe it is our fault or that anything throwing big money at will make any real change. When I see Al Gore and his crew going to England on a wind powered sailing ship instead of in his jet I might take a second look. This whole theory of "Do as I say but not as I do" can kiss my ass!

GaryL

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
On the coast of Florida home builders are often given a choice. More wind protection or a swimming pool. Almost everyone choices the pool! Guess I'm stupid. My home has extra bracing and a metal roof also we live on Highlands Ridge.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
On the coast of Florida home builders are often given a choice. More wind protection or a swimming pool. Almost everyone choices the pool! Guess I'm stupid. My home has extra bracing and a metal roof also we live on Highlands Ridge.
Ha! LOL, with all those pools there should be no shortage of places to take a dip but when the SHTF your place should still be standing and a pool is a lousy place to weather a storm in.

GaryL

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
I visited my sister when she lived in New Orleans. The house she lived in, built in the late 1800's, had the floor level 6' to 8' above the ground level. Why? Because they knew the area had flooded in the past and it would flood again in the future and built accordingly. Flash forward to today. I really doubt that is the first time the Houston area has flooded the way it did. It is just the first time so many people were affected by the flooding. And it won't be the last time it floods that way -- now is the time to prepare for the next flood whether it is next year or 150 years from now. Wake up folks! It is going to happen again. As always my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
I visited my sister when she lived in New Orleans. The house she lived in, built in the late 1800's, had the floor level 6' to 8' above the ground level. Why? Because they knew the area had flooded in the past and it would flood again in the future and built accordingly. Flash forward to today. I really doubt that is the first time the Houston area has flooded the way it did. It is just the first time so many people were affected by the flooding. And it won't be the last time it floods that way -- now is the time to prepare for the next flood whether it is next year or 150 years from now. Wake up folks! It is going to happen again. As always my 2 cents worth.
When I was down in N.O. area during the recovery of Hurrican Katrina we saw a lot of house's on stilts. The ones we saw were mostly in the more rural areas. City houses seemed like Anywhere, USA and built ground level. We were camped at a FEMA Camp in Belle Chasse (Plaquemines Parish) just outside of N.O. We did most of our work (not exclusively) in Plaquemines Parish on the peninsula.

More Katrina photo's here: https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipORifDZxinHVpKrpwM4HstiMtOvOMoEkuTa24pz

This one was still standing but the damage was pretty bad. And this was one of the better-looking houses after the hurricane.

I think this one was on stilt too but didn't fair very well. Neither did the cab-over semi-truck.

This one appeared to be a little above ground but it didn't matter.

I imagine there are a lot of locations that looked like this in Texas and Florida

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
If a hurricane like that hit here, we have been hit but certainly not that hard, it would devastate us. Flooding could be pretty bad in the low lying spots but winds would be the killer here with all the big trees. I can show you spots here in the mountains when both Sandy and Irene came through 300 yards wide and miles long where every tree in the path was uprooted and laying flat. Every road here is lined with power lines and big trees and for a good 20 miles in all directions there was not a line still standing and on my road alone they had to replace 47 poles before they could string the lines back up. We had electric crews here from KY and TN and even further away helping my electric company get us back which took 8 days for my place and 12-14 in other areas. We have one road here with I think 12 new homes and they had the foresight to run the electric under ground all the way down that road to the culdesack at the end. Good thing too because there were trees down across that road for weeks. I live right on the edge of 5 miles of deep woods and stood outside listening to big trees dropping like they were nothing. I think the highest recorded gusts here were around 75-80 MPH and higher at the air port but if it got up above 100 MPH this place would be a disaster area. Tall evergreens have big roots but very shallow and go over pretty easy in a good blow. I am still cleaning up downed trees from well over 5 years ago and there are places behind my house where I can't even get through because of the trees laying like pick up sticks. During both of those hurricanes I looked out in the field above my house and all the deer were standing right in the middle where there were no trees. Man were they spooked and one guy in a hunting club showed pictures of a big bear carcass crushed under a tree. He took cover along side of an already downed tree and got slammed anyway.

GaryL

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know the flooding has taking the news headlines by far but here in MT we have had 1.4 million acres burn this year so far. One fire 120 miles north west of us burned 400,000 acres alone. That leaves a lot of cattle with out feed for the winter months ahead. In Miles City area we hadn't seen rain in over 3 months, finally rained last week for 2 days and dropped 1.5 inches so that was a relief.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
I know the flooding has taking the news headlines by far but here in MT we have had 1.4 million acres burn this year so far. One fire 120 miles north west of us burned 400,000 acres alone. That leaves a lot of cattle with out feed for the winter months ahead. In Miles City area we hadn't seen rain in over 3 months, finally rained last week for 2 days and dropped 1.5 inches so that was a relief.
Yep, no hurricanes to worry about here either.

However, seeing these guys out behind our house did make us um...nervous.

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just stay away from trees planted in suburban lawns.:eek: Lawn tree.jpg
The frequent watering that lawns require discourages deep root growth of shade trees. This can have disastrous results when once they are mature with a full canopy and subjected to strong wind or seismic loads.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts