TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be the first to admit that i'm a toolaholic. I have have a garage full of them ranging from basic woodworking tools all the way to a Bridgeport milling machine. I appreciate any tool that makes an otherwise arduous task easier so any time i have a chance to buy a new tool it ends up in my collection. How i didn't know this tool existed and did not already own one is beyond me.

When it comes to motorcycles if there is one maintenance task i dislike its changing tires. On my Ducati i just let the dealer do it since tubeless super low profile tires are a royal PITA. Anything with a tube i tend to do myself since i cant justify the 50 bucks most of the places around here want if you bring them a tire and wheel. Normally changing these involves some level of frustration on my part.

So today i mounted up my new Shinko 244 on my new to me TW. I have mounted a lot of tires in the past and i now find myself wondering where this little magical tool has been all my life. It is such a simple little tool and what it does is forces the tire down so that the bead sits in the low part of of the rim. No more having to use your knees or elbows to push down on the tire as you try to work it on or off the rim. It makes the tire go on and off so much easier than any i have ever mounted without one. Such a simple tool but super effective. Took me all of about 25 min to fully change the tire with no drama at all, went on super easy. Its tiny too so it will be going in my road kit. If you change your own tires i cant recommend this little tool enough.

Here is what the tool looks like for those that have never seen one.
08-0388.jpg

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That would be a good tool to have in the kit! My knees can't take it anymore! Those RimShield II's look awesome also and Amazon has them both!

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I ordered both the bead buddy2 and rimshield2 yesterday. I have new tires and tubes to install on both Dubs and will need all the help I can get.

Thanks for posting these gadgets.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Well of course I need one. Nope, I'm not a toolaholic (let's see...mig, tig, plasma cutter, tube bender, lathe/milling machine, enerpac press, double rolling chest, full wood working shop with shaper, planer, uni-saw...) Nope, I'm not a toolaholic, I can set down a tool any time, I can walk away. I could not use tools for the rest of my life.... Sheeze, where is the nearest TA group?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I ordered both the bead buddy2 and rimshield2 yesterday. I have new tires and tubes to install on both Dubs and will need all the help I can get.

Thanks for posting these gadgets.

GaryL
Hi Gary,

Please let us know how the Bead Buddy works on the rear rim. I have heard conflicting reports about whether it will work on the rear.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Hi Gary,

Please let us know how the Bead Buddy works on the rear rim. I have heard conflicting reports about whether it will work on the rear.

Thanks
Never short on words, you can be sure I will post my findings. I won't be surprised if it does not work particularly well on the rear rim. They are after all FAT!:D

GaryL

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Well of course I need one. Nope, I'm not a toolaholic (let's see...mig, tig, plasma cutter, tube bender, lathe/milling machine, enerpac press, double rolling chest, full wood working shop with shaper, planer, uni-saw...) Nope, I'm not a toolaholic, I can set down a tool any time, I can walk away. I could not use tools for the rest of my life.... Sheeze, where is the nearest TA group?
Sounds like you and I need to go to a therapy group lol. Now though it is time to let some of it go. I have been selling off some of it. Will keep enough to do the tinkering we like, but I have so much that it has become a tool hoarders dream.
If anyone close would like to check for anything they might like send me a pm. Just a small list besides hand tools, mill and a lath, two pickups, two small lake boats with motors an F700 with 6500 original miles with all steel bed new with 14ton hoist. I retired so I need to get rid of this stuff so I won't be stuck fixing others problems and can be free to roam.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Sounds like you and I need to go to a therapy group lol. Now though it is time to let some of it go. I have been selling off some of it. Will keep enough to do the tinkering we like, but I have so much that it has become a tool hoarders dream.
If anyone close would like to check for anything they might like send me a pm. Just a small list besides hand tools, mill and a lath, two pickups, two small lake boats with motors an F700 with 6500 original miles with all steel bed new with 14ton hoist. I retired so I need to get rid of this stuff so I won't be stuck fixing others problems and can be free to roam.
Good luck Plumbstraight! I keep saying and preaching about lightening the load and every day I have more parts arriving. It is an addiction and I take full responsibility. Toys R us and the one who dies with the most wins.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think I can make Plumbstraight and GaryL look like beginners. 43 Years in the repair and construction business, every imaginable tool for electrical, framing, finish work, concrete, and mechanical repair. Should I start with 5 assorted welders, mig, tig, wirefeed, steel and aluminum both, presses, lathes, 5 enormous roll-aways full starting at 1" drives down to 1/4" drive, and that includes metric. Every puller that Snap-on makes. 4 and 10 Ton Port-O-Powers, plus three other semi trailers with specialty tools. All is going up for sale except my personal hand tools, as I am done fixing things other than my toys.
Mel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts