TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That basket case I bought had this motor that was locked up. Turns out the clutch was the cause. After disassembling the motor for inspection I thought I would assemble it. All the gears appear to be in good condition and the engine is clean. It appears that it was well maintained. The only problem I have noticed is the crank shaft has been slightly rubbing the case. This is a pic of the left side case. What do you Think?

image.jpeg

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks Mike now if I can figure how to put it back together. When I took it apart I hadn't planned on reassembling it. This should be fun :D

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts
Nothing was designed to be rubbing in the first place. I would find out why and fix it if I was going to plan on using that motor.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Thanks Mike now if I can figure how to put it back together. When I took it apart I hadn't planned on reassembling it. This should be fun :D
Let me know if you get stuck during the reassembly. I tried to take semi-good notes during my disassembly and also took quite a few pictures so I would be able to get things back together correctly. Putting the transmission back together was probably the trickiest for me.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me know if you get stuck during the reassembly. I tried to take semi-good notes during my disassembly and also took quite a few pictures so I would be able to get things back together correctly. Putting the transmission back together was probably the trickiest for me.
Thanks Brian. I didn't remove the transmission gears. Did you rebuild it with rod bearings and rings.

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
I need the pictures and notes Brian! Funny, on my way home from work I was thinking to PM you asking some questions. Another was what sealant did you use between cases?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
That basket case I bought had this motor that was locked up. Turns out the clutch was the cause. After disassembling the motor for inspection I thought I would assemble it. All the gears appear to be in good condition and the motor is clean. It appears that it was well maintained. The only problem I have noticed is the crank shaft has been slightly rubbing the case. This is a pic of the left side case. What do you Think?

View attachment 22498
This looks like the engine case, not the starter motor...

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I need the pictures and notes Brian! Funny, on my way home from work I was thinking to PM you asking some questions. Another was what sealant did you use between cases?
Twilight beat me to it!
That is what I used - Yamabond 4 - but I am sure that any of the (Brand name)bond's would work just as well (except maybe for James Bond ;)).

100_5520.JPG

Send me your email address and I will pull together my scribblings and pictures and send them to you, or anybody else that might want them. I also printed out the disassembly section from the service manual (pages 4-8 to 4-16 in the one that I have) and referred to that a few times.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This looks like the engine case, not the starter motor...
It is the engine case. It also seem tricky to get the two halves back together. How long does it take before Yamabond sets up?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
It is the engine case. It also seem tricky to get the two halfs back together. How long does it take before Yamabond sets up?
It is not real quick setting, meaning it gives you enough time to apply it to the case halves, get them positioned and lined up, and to secure them together with a few bolts.

p.s. I believe that the point that rbm was making is that motor is more technically correct when used to describe an electric motor, while engine is more technically correct when used to describe an internal combustion engine. But who has ever heard of an enginecycle?

·
Registered
816 Posts
ill add in that it doesnt set too quickly. I apply it with an acid brush that I cut down a bit to help with control. i squeeze a bit on the bristles and then ally to the case, then repeat until ive got it all. Not as big a deal as you would think. this engine is super simple. follow the manual and you're good to go!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
p.s. I believe that the point that rbm was making is that motor is more technically correct when used to describe an electric motor, while engine is more technically correct when used to describe an internal combustion engine. But who has ever heard of an enginecycle?[/QUOTE]

I knew what he was implying and let's be honest we have all called combustion engines, motors. Lol. I do know I have never called an electrical motor an engine. I put Motor Oil in all my motors/engines.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
p.s. I believe that the point that rbm was making is that motor is more technically correct when used to describe an electric motor, while engine is more technically correct when used to describe an internal combustion engine. But who has ever heard of an enginecycle?
I knew what he was implying and let's be honest we have all called combustion engines, motors. Lol. I do know I have never called an electrical motor an engine. I put Motor Oil in all my motors/engines.

[/QUOTE]

Correct, that was just my stab at sarcasm, I should have added the :p at the end... No offence intended!

·
Registered
807 Posts

View attachment 22543 [/QUOTE]

Ill play :) I never call an engine a motor. I even call it engine oil or more often than not just............oil. Even the TW200 owners manual refers to it as engine oil. Just did a search of the owners manual, motor is mentioned 136 times, not once in reference to the engine. GENERALLY what Ive found is the less technical/mechanical the person is the more likely it is that they call it a motor. Look at any manual for a vehicle that has an engine, owners, service or parts manual and see how many times you can find the engine referred to as a motor. Probably none.

Back when these contraptions first came out and were no longer powered by human, beast or steam the term "motor" was used as a verb. So its Ford Motor Company not because they sell vehicles with motors but because people would buy their vehicles to motor with.

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
Though I knew he wasn't talking about the starter :p

mo·tor

ˈmōdər/
noun

a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.

adjective

giving, imparting, or producing motion or action.
    "demand is the principle motor force governing economic action.

BRITISH
    driven by a motor.
verb[informal

travel in a motor vehicle, typically a car or a boat.
    "we motored along a narrow road"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Time to clean it up with diesel fuel and let it air dry. Put a thin film of oil and hook it back together. I would carry it by a engine shop I know well and let a builder look at it for advise. It would be a great time to hone it out and add a little Dub power to the power band. Meaning bored and sized for piston size increase if needed. Goog Luck!!!!!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's what we can do. I put mine back together as my personal challenge. Then I'll take it apart and send it to the next guy to assemble. So on and so on. Each person adds a little to it like Bored-out Souped-up with a 6 speed would be my preference. :laughing7::laughing7:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts