TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m trying to do and engine swap due to my 1987 TW200 blown motor . but the TW200 2001 stator is different to the early model. Can someone please help me with either advice or a color wiring diagram

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi I’m trying to do and engine swap due to my 1987 TW200 blown motor . but the TW200 2001 stator is different to the early model. Can someone please help me with either advice or a color wiring diagram

·
Registered
446 Posts
It would probably be best to pull the flywheel and stator out of your 1987, and install them in the 2001 engine... or just swap the flywheel, and use the whole 1987 left side engine cover.

That way, the wiring will just plug back together.

You might as well pull the right side cover also, and swap over your kick-starter guts, and maybe service the clutch.

Nothing can be simple, huh? ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
You are attempting to swap a 2001 55W DC stator into a 35W AC frame — ‘aint gonna fly

The problems this throws up are horrendous

For a start off, you would need an entirely different wiring loom to reflect the increased wattage, together with changing out the CDI, headlight bulb, and God knows what else

As CJ7 suggests, you need to put the ’87 stator on the thing, together with the original ’87 crankcase cover, or you’re onto a hiding to nothing

Then there’s the kickstart issue …..

·
Registered
19,432 Posts
Have you pursued idea of getting an output shaft extension from forum member PlacerLode that allows an almost direct replacement of the TW motor with your XT motor?
I did this with a TTR223cc motor and am very happy with the results.
Unfortunately you will need to use the complete TW ignition system & flywheel so will have to source an '87 stator.

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
Tw200eac – you may have noticed that your multiple posts on this subject have now been moved into the one thread

So you now have a thread covering the use of an XT engine, and this one, covering the use of a TW engine

The posts have been moved simply because they are two completely different subjects, please don’t take offence …..:cool:

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
Fred – post #7 seems to have migrated across as well, but we can live with that given that Tw200eac now seems to be concentrating on the TW motors, rather than the XT swap he proposed last year, which your reply pertains to

(Told you it was going to get confusing) …..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not sure if this helps or has been covered. 87 stator that year only. Next 88 to 97 all same. Next 98 to 2000 all same. Then 2001 til now. Stator and wiring harness and CDI must all match. I can tell you what year your stator is by the colors of wires on it.
Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Fred
my tw motor shit it self .the new motor is a xt 225 with a tw200 output shaft. And now I have put the old stator and flywheel I it as well.
What do I use to join the xt 225 carburettor to the air box. As the new carburettor is bigger ???

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
You are correct, the XT225 carb is much larger than the TW200 carb. While it may be possible to use the XT225 carb, it would likely involve a lot of modifications and custom fabrication in order to get it to fit and work. I have done two of these XT/TTR225 conversions and have just used the existing TW200 carbs. It is a direct bolt-up and requires no airbox mods. I am also very pleased with the performance of the 225 engines with the "smaller" TW200 carb.

Just use the TW carb and you could be up and running today.

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
Agreed – the factory TW225 uses the same carb as the TW200, same inlet valve adjustments too – it’s only the exhaust valve settings that differ ……

1 - 14 of 14 Posts