TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently interview by TruckCamper magazine and it was just recently published.
I have been submitting photos to their calander contest for years and Angela was intrigued with our pictures of our adventures with a motorcycle on front and canoes and kayaks on the roof.
For those interested From Blackboard to Boondocking - Truck Camper Magazine

I did plug the Moab trip.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hub was on a China bike Xingyu XY400.
Does a TW have the power to pull a hub apart?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Great read! Congratulations to you and your family for really getting out there and making some memories together.

Truck Camper Magazine is a very dangerous publication for me. We don't have a truck camper and never have, but the wife and I are both very interested in moving in that direction. I think I have at least a couple more years of obsessing before making an actual purchase, though.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I enjoyed reading the article & pictures, thanks for sharing. It must be awesome that you guys both have summers, the holiday breaks, and weekends off work, to be able to travel and camp with your family.

I would love to take some longer trips lasting several weeks, but we're usually limited to long weekends.

I have a Truck Camper too, a popup. But with my wife and two young kids, we are starting to outgrow it. I put it on a trailer so I can haul more gear, firewood, toys & the TW in the truck bed.

View attachment 26789 P1040375.JPG P1040314.JPG P1050725.JPG SAM_9496.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Very good article!
I wonder how many future generations will follow the path set by you guys and your kids?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Midnight rider, you are doing great.
We camped as a family of 4 in a small import camper since my daughter was 3 months old until she was 12 years old.
When she turned 4 we added a dog.
For us, the camper was a dry place to sleep and our base camp for exploring.
We have been blessed having a lot of time to travel as a family and both children realize how lucky they have been to see so many great places in North America and experience its natural beauty.
Hiking, biking, canoeing, camping and of course motorbiking is and will continue to be part of their lifestyle.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I was recently interview by TruckCamper magazine and it was just recently published.
I have been submitting photos to their calander contest for years and Angela was intrigued with our pictures of our adventures with a motorcycle on front and canoes and kayaks on the roof.
For those interested From Blackboard to Boondocking - Truck Camper Magazine

I did plug the Moab trip.
This was a pretty cool article in the Magazine.

My only claim to a written article was when my name appeared in the divorce column of the local newspaper!

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
The more I read about you forum members the more impressed I become with you all. Great article even if magazine refers to your "motorbike" rather than a fire breathing motorcycle.
...and I see Midnightrider know all about the Alabama Hills.
You guys are making me long for summer.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
wow... you guys are one busy family......fantastic!!! I had to go for a nap after reading your story. how did you find taking a bike over elephant hill? we were thinking of going there and doing 2 up. of course the wife will have to hike over the hill itself

·
Registered
311 Posts
Great article! You've had some awesome family adventures over the years. Thanks for the story. We started with a small tent trailer when the kids were young and graduated to a VW camper van in 2001 for summer traveling in Canada and the US. Lots of good memories, but limited to pavement and no room for motorbikes! I think I'm motivated to change that now :)

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
While I will not deny the pleasures of staying at a resort, motel, hotel, etc I has always enjoyed being immersed overnight in the destinations we spend so much time and energy getting to. Many a time I will see folks pack up and leave for their hotel just before things get interesting...sunsets, dusky twilight, the twinkling of starlight all get missed as people load up their gear and dash back to rented accomodations somewhere. Similarly sunrises and the changing play of light get missed while the family awaits delivery of over priced bacon and eggs before heading back out. Lakes are often tranquil with the best paddling at dawn and dusk. Lots to be said for Franz and Linda's approach, great story.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow... you guys are one busy family......fantastic!!! I had to go for a nap after reading your story. how did you find taking a bike over elephant hill? we were thinking of going there and doing 2 up. of course the wife will have to hike over the hill itself
Elephant hill was a bitch to get up. There are a lot of step ups on the first section. I wished my bike was lighter and lower geared. I don't think it could be done with 2 up. It also didn't help that it was July and 37 Celsius (99 F) when I went for the ride. It was 43 Celcius (110 F) in Moab so I did not even head out on the bike - went to the Moab brewery for some cold IPA!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Terrific article! I'm quite envious of your trips to Newfoundland; that's a bucket list item for my wife and I.
I will be heading back some day and spending a month or more exploring.

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great read! Congratulations to you and your family for really getting out there and making some memories together.

Truck Camper Magazine is a very dangerous publication for me. We don't have a truck camper and never have, but the wife and I are both very interested in moving in that direction. I think I have at least a couple more years of obsessing before making an actual purchase, though.

Thanks for posting!
For me, it is the way I prefer to travel. Set my own pace, have the same comfy bed to sleep in each night, a fridge filled with what I enjoy ( rotation of craft beer from the area I am visiting ), a spectacular view while preparing and eating your meals and comfy chairs for around a cozy fire.
ArE you sold yet?

You can always try renting a unit and see if you like it. TruckCamperMagazine has an article that there is now a company in the US renting or you could always come to Canada and rent one as it is a booming business here.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd love to drag my trailer there, but I'd need a diesel like yours. Currently, my wife and I are pulling our trailer with a gas-burner Sierra.
A trailer would be very expensive to take to NFLD.
People who had toads were detaching them and driving them on separately to reduce the cost of travel.
Transport trucks do not use the ferry. They drop their trailers off and the trailers are wedged in sideways on the ferry.

Reactions: jtomelliott49
1 - 20 of 20 Posts