TW200 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
FYI while shopping yesterday for trailer wiring and plug I saw a Five wire setup with both ends for sale. So you could wiring up your backup lights. My LED lights have shipped, thanks Amazon Prime.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
To put someones mind at ease about the HF hitch mounted carrier, and so you don't need a reason to purchase a Toy Hauler, I took this picture. Notice its steel tube welded to the top steel plate bolted to the aluminum carrier. Notice also the steel gussets welded to reinforce. I don't plan to "hurt" someone when I haul my TW ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
That looks significantly beefy enough for the job. Earlier Harbor Freight carriers had a bent aluminum plate wrapped around the 2" main spar tube instead of the gusseted steel plate. I saw a stress fracture on one of these once, likely exacerbated by an inadequately tightened connection to the receiver. Whatever one does I encourage them to minimize any self-self-distructive flexing whether it be on a carrier, a trailer, toy hauler or pick-up bed.
Fortunately my rigs have overhead cargo racks I can attach tie-downs to. Once my hydraulic lift raises the bike I can pull from either end both up to rack, plus down to vehicle frame greatly reducing bikes ability to wiggle . P1010232.JPG

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is an improvement over mine which I have had for a few years. Mine has aluminum angle bolted to the hitch receiver tube (if I recall correctly). I'll check and might reinforce it with steel angle as the aluminum has been reported to crack. The tail lights on my truck aren't obscured by the motorcycle but I am going to buy some of the HF plug in trailer lights to supplement.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here is the add on for the wide tire the TW uses. A 36 inch piece of 2x2x 1/8 inch aluminum angle cut in half and 6 self drilling #10x1 stainless steel SM screws, 5/16 driver head. Cut angle sides that are down on carrier to about 1" wide on my bandsaw and spaced the 3/16 inch holes to miss the pre-drilled holes in the carrier. Done in less than an hour and for under $20 USD. I may need to add lights, but my truck has a back of cab light that functions as a tail, brake and back up light so that might do.

View attachment 82505 View attachment 82513
Good job George!

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
MotoJack. I bought mine used and re-built as the pivot points tend to wear over time creating a little slop. Image-1.jpg miscstuff003.jpg

Another manufacture of a similar unit is MotoMule images.jpeg

Bike is clamped to the lift via rigid connections to the foot pegs, very solid and secure when off-roading to back-country base camps. Once there the unloaded MotoJack is a little less likely to be run into after dark with one's shins compared to a 5+ foot long ramp. I add reflective tape that gets illuminated by campfire or warms other drivers after hours on the road.

·
Registered
433 Posts
IMG_2766.JPG IMG_2757.JPG

Picked up some cheapos at Auto Zone for $6.95 ea. Wiring kit was $12 something. Decided they were too vulnerable so made some brackets for protection. Ran wires though the frame rails. That's clear tubing that the wires are running through. After 50 yrs of hauling bikes around I didn't like the center tie-down points so I put some angle toward the front with eye bolts. My inner bike hauler self is happier now.:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
I have mine done and tested, waiting for the silicone to set up before pictures. Ok ok, not as nice as Rider21 but it will work. Already tested and off the trunk and inside ready for the trip to MO. Yes both sides the yellow turn signals on the hauler work..... I just picked the wrong one to upload :(

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
It worked fine, just hauled my new to me 2009 TW back from Missouri about 375 miles or so. I will be welding on another tie down bracket to the top of the 2 inch steel tube but otherwise no changes.

Question for the Group. Can you just run the MC up the ramp under power, no I am NOT riding it up!

·
Registered
548 Posts
See my pic. I had trouble with the reciever on the Jeep being so high up so I purchased a stepdown addon which brought it down 12 inches. Makes it easy for me to power walk the bike on. 20150925_123730 (Medium) (2016_12_04 20_59_33 UTC).jpg 20150925_131436 (Medium) (2016_12_04 20_59_33 UTC).jpg

·
Registered
433 Posts
It worked fine, just hauled my new to me 2009 TW back from Missouri about 375 miles or so. I will be welding on another tie down bracket to the top of the 2 inch steel tube but otherwise no changes.

Question for the Group. Can you just run the MC up the ramp under power, no I am NOT riding it up!
Yes! That's how I load mine. Use just 2 fingers on the clutch and you will have better control of the bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
See my pic. I had trouble with the reciever on the Jeep being so high up so I purchased a stepdown addon which brought it down 12 inches. Makes it easy for me to power walk the bike on. View attachment 84577 View attachment 84585
I'm going to look into one of those.

I have a F350 4x4 which is very high off the ground even with stock suspension and tires. the only way I could walk mine up on the ramp was with the ramp off a curb or ramp (I have plastic ramps), even then I though it was hard. with it lowered you have to be careful about scraping when coming down off steep drives that happened to me with a hitch carrier (not motorcycle) even with the F350

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I have to mod my double hitch carrier. It sags too much because I have to use a hitch extender to clear the camper which overhangs the rear of the pickup. Doesn't drag, just lower than when it's mounted on the pickup without the camper on. Thankfully, I have air bags with the on-board compressor, raising the psi (as I normally would with the camper, i.e. I didn't add more psi because of the carrier) cleared it but I would like more. Stability wasn't a problem.

Loading or unloading the TW closest to the camper door to gain access was easy, just not as convenient when both TW's are loaded. At our nightly stopovers, we just unloaded one TW and used the carrier as the step.

Using the double for our trip to Boonville, we got a lot better fuel mileage than pulling our mule trailer, but I think we'll save the double for the local weekend trips around here so we can carry more of our "stuff" when we go long distances.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
To make mine easier to unload next time I used one of the rods that came with the carrier to prevent the front wheel from dropping into the slot. I am also hoping to use those front wheel clamps. BTW I could start the TW up Rider21 and move the ramp to the other end and drive it off.... maybe.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts