TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[media]http://www.princessauto.com/hlr-system/WebPhotos/81/816/8169/8169781.jpg[/media]

Hi guys,

I'm looking at this moto hauler from Princess Auto for my TW.

It's good for 500 lbs, has a ramp attachment & looks fairly solid. But the problem is, the carrier's channel is only 5" wide, & the TW's rear tire is 7" wide. Now, I'm thinking this is not ideal, but maybe that's rear tire could just sit on top of the channel's edges. I mean, as long as I tie the TW down securely, I won't be compromising road safety at all.

What do you guys think? With the weight of the bike, would I be asking for trouble? (damaging the rear tire, etc.)

Your opinions would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks guys - Richard

Here's the product description:

Overview

The easiest way to transport your dirt bike or motorcycle

Feature(s)

Built-in detachable ramp. 13 in. clearance between receiver and frame. 

Application(s)

Frame locks bike in place 

Attributes & Specifications

Product Reference Carrier 

Type Motorcycle/Dirtbike 

Max. Load Capacity 500 lb

Platform 76 x 5 in.

Requires Min. CLIII hitch. Tie-down straps to secure upper portion. 

Hitch Receiver 2 in.

Construction Metal 

Brand Powerfist 

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use a Moto-Tote, and use these straps (NRS). to secure the rims to the carrier. That way, when you hit a bump the wheel can't jump out of the track and fall. I also use conventional tie downs to make sure it is secure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A few other points:

"I won't be compromising road safety at all."

That's not necessarily accurate. The weight of your bike and the carrier will act as weight on a lever (your rear tire being the fulcrum). Depending on the weight of the vehicle and how far out from the back of your rear axle the load is (in this case the bike and carrier), the more pressure you're taking off the front tires. Theoretically, you are giving up some turning ability (and some traction if you're front wheel drive). So you have to be more careful in adverse conditions with one of these. Also, there is a risk of trailer hitch failure, carrier failure, or strap failure. Then there are the legalities (Moto-Tote makes a tail light kit, that is why I settled on it). Some police officers may cite you for plate or tail light obstruction.

All in all, trailers are easier and probably the better choice. But I took all that into consideration before buying mine and still settled on the carrier. If I had a car or front wheel drive I would have gotten a trailer for sure. There is a really inexpensive little trailer sold by Harbor Freight that many other members use (you can do a thread search and read all about them).

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have one of the older style moto totes while they were still solid.

(googled photo)

a trailer was not practical do to lots of personal reasons.

owing a 2500 burb wasnt worried much about the extra weight out back.

regarding the unit you've put a photo of, not sure i like the center seam of the crossbars. there is a ton of weight out there when you hit a bump.

regardless which way you go, consider the jungleplant tie downs from the front end. search this site for more info.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Looks good, I am guessing you could secure/strap the rear wheel in place. I will be getting something similar over the winter. Will this unit allow you to add a hitch and still pull a trailer? (cannot tell from the photo link)

I have been looking at the unit that versahauler.com sells as their carrier will allow a trailer to be pulled with the carrier in place. I still have to go down to my trailer dealer and see about an extension for my lights as they would no longer reach with a carrier in place.

I agree that a trailer may be a better option, however in my case, my truck has a shell and I would prefer to leave it on instead of removing it every time I want to take the TW somewhere.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I carried my TW on the back of my Ford Ranger once. The weight of the bike was to much for the stock suspension with heavy duty shocks. The hitch tube on the rack would rub when pulling into some gas stations, and I am sure the head lights would have been pointing into the trees at night. Loading the bike was very easy and attachment was secure however. Gerry

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, you've given me lots of food for thought.

Actually, I'm driving a Ranger too, but I was trying to free up some space in the bed by adding a carrier. Sounds like using a moto carrier is not the wisest option, though so maybe I'll just load the bike up in the bed as before. But I might try to get my hands on one of those moto-totes.

re: adding a trailer to the carrier from Princess Auto - yes, it looks like you can add a hitch ball to the back end.

Cheers - Richard

·
Registered
99 Posts
Use a Hitch Hauler myself. Try inserting 4 5/8" to 3/4" eyebolts so that they line up with the TW's axles in the channel so you can cinch the tires positively onto the channel. You'll still need to tie the handlebar ends down to the cross member that mounts in the Reese hitch to compress the bike's suspension as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I bought two carriers, for myself and a friend, from Fada scooters in Kensington Market @ $225 each. We both have T-Dubs and have carried our bikes to the cottage and back many times.

The carrier at Fada has a 6" aluminum channel that the rear tire sits inside - yes the sides of the tire are wider, but the round profile means the tire is wedged in perfectly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL !! Thanks, my friend, that's one good local tip. I'll check that out & grab a latte while I'm at it.

Cheers - Richard

·
Registered
59 Posts
In regards to: "their carrier will allow a trailer to be pulled with the carrier in place."

Be really careful with that, as you may exceed your recommended tongue weight.

·
Registered
468 Posts
In regards to: "their carrier will allow a trailer to be pulled with the carrier in place."

Be really careful with that, as you may exceed your recommended tongue weight.

I have a F-150 and am only pulling a pop up tent trailer, hooked up I have been unable to see my bumper even slightly go down....I know that adding a bike extended out from the receiver hitch will change that, but think I should be OK with it.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Some carriers come with lights attached. In my neck of the woods if your bike covers up your car/truck's tail lights you will get stopped if seen by an officer. Or worse yet you might get rear ended by someone who can't see your lights.

If you are going to piggyback a trailer onto the carrier you will need to devise an extra long wire harness and something to hook your trailer safety chains onto.

I did one trip with my wifes 4x4 Ford Escape, versahauler with my rv90 and a 14' travel trailer. It was an interesting trip that I won't do again.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have the exact carrier that you want to buy. It does not work with the TW. The rear wheel will not go into the channel and rests on the frame. I have used it alot, but had to strap the rear wheel down very tight. One time the bike actually almost rolled off of the carrier while I was driving. You need a carrier with a wider channel in order to fit the wider wheels of the TW. Also, I drive a Ford F-150, but the weight of the bike causes the truck to be an inch or 2 lower in the rear. I had to drill new mount holes on the carrier where it goes into the hitch in order to place the carrier closer to the truck and relieve some of the weight. My 2 cents is to get a cheap trailer which will be safer and offer more versatility.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use the Princess Auto rack with my TW. Like others have said, it does cover your lights and the tires don't fit down between the rails. One of my winter projects will be to add a light kit. I went with it last weekend anyway but could have easily been ticketed. As rmcglad said, you really need to strap the wheels down tightly. I use a short ratchet strap on each wheel.

Loaded Up by MacFadyen, on Flickr

1 - 19 of 19 Posts