TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Dont do it often but had to last week on my trip to Savannah. Tractor trailer with a dump trailer was billowing debris into the air. It was stinging VERY badly. Felt my girlfriends helmet bumping into the back of mine, she was tucked behind me trying to avoid it. When I finally passed him he got a mean beep beep and the one finger salute...............Im sure he learned his lesson :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've lately been doing the two fingers down thing when saying HI to other riders. It's become a joke with my girlfriend and me when we're out on my cruiser.
I see another biker and I "throw down the Dugan" to them.
We very often get that right back too!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are so many motorcycles in my area you better know how to ride one handed. I rarely initiate the wave.

Where does "the wave" come from anyway?
There are a few stories floating around the internet about the origin of the rider's wave.

Some say that, in "ye olden tymes", knights crossing each others path would lift their visors with an open hand. This would show that they were unarmed, and allow them to see each others faces as a sign of trust and goodwill; a tradition that has gradually made its way over to modern-day motorcycle riders. (As one person commented, this is more the origin of the military salute than "the wave.")

A more realistic explanation comes from the surge of returning service members after WWII, who bought military surplus motorcycles in droves. The abundance of motorcycles and the solidarity among veterans gave birth to the American biker culture as a whole, and motorcyclists in those days were eager to greet each other with a wave on the road. It wasn't just as a biker thing, but also as a veteran thing - it was safe to assume that any male of that age group on a chopped Harley or Indian in those days had served in the war.

There are many types of waves, but the signature "biker wave" tends to be some variation of two fingers pointed parallel or down toward the ground like a "peace sign." There are many explanations for this too: a "V" for V-twin; a "two" for keeping it "on two wheels"; or just a peace sign that keeps your hands close to the controls.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I get the low peace sign from Harley riders ever time I pull to one side of the lane or the other to make room for them to split traffic. Heck with the Mini I can give them a whole motorcycle lane!

·
Registered
19,564 Posts
All these comments have made for an informative and interesting read. Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I haven't been down the shore yet this year Bob. Day trips and long weekends in different places here in upstate NY has been the extent of my travels.
But from what I've been reading, the crabbing is picking up this year.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shit, I thought it ment double cheese burger.....:p

Hey Rick, How's the crabbing this year down there? It got a little better this year up here. Still not like it was before Sandy though.
Crabbing is poor I'm not getting my crabbing boat out. Bought these three dozen for $45.

View attachment 21144

Hand siginal. :icon_thumright::

1 - 12 of 12 Posts