TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My husband and I found a beautiful 2012 TW on Craigslist and we are picking it up tomorrow!! (Eeeek!! I'm so excited!!!)
I need to get insurance of course and would love some input and suggestions from all you TW folks.
(My hubby has Progressive for his KLR and let's just say, we are NOT renewing our policy with them. )
Thanks everyone and have a great weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
congrats on the bike. t-dubs are awesome! i think we have both our bikes insured thru geico for less than $80/yr.
Thanks!
Have you ever had to file a claim with geico? We are not necessarily looking for the cheapest, although of course we want to save money. Our concern is if we have to file a claim, how do they treat their customers.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Geico is pretty cheap. At least give them a call. They are always friendly and available 24/7 too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've always had geico insurance on my motorcycles. In California they're cheaper than everyone else. I don't buy uninsured motorist on my motorcycles since I already have my own medical through my work and that saves a decent chunk. For a 16 ktm 500 exc I pay $104 and $66 for a 16 tw200 but I have full coverage because of theft.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I haven't had to file a claim, thank god, but progressive was the least expensive when I last checked.
I added another motorcycle a few years ago and my cost actually went down $9 a year!
I had added it online and when I got the next bill my cost was less.
So I had to call and see what was wrong.
Apparently my "good" driving and having three mc's made my policy less with three than two.

But then when I added my 1200GS they seemed high and when I got a quote from Geico they were almost double and more than double what AAA quoteed.
So now I have one mc under AAA and the others on Progressive.

·
Registered
369 Posts
congrats on the bike. t-dubs are awesome! i think we have both our bikes insured thru geico for less than $80/yr.
according to lomax it's progressive. :confused: my bad. :witless: (smooches for handling up on business my :love_heart:) i'm so glad he keeps up with everything....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have Geico for all of my cars and my TW in SoCal. had to file claims a couple of times for cars and had a fine experience. Nice you can start a claim from an app, upload pics etc then they call you to finalize. Also cool app has proof of insurance "cards" so you don't need to worry about keeping the physical cards in/on your person/vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
We have GEICO love the app with insurance cards.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The Admiral and I have both our bikes with Geico as they gave us the best rate. Haven't had to file a claim and hopefully won't ever need to. With both bikes being under two years old it runs us about $200 per year. Our vehicles are through State Farm and our insurance man suggested Geico, he said he couldn't beat their price.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Like several others here, I have Geico. We have it on a car, two trucks and two TW's. I've not needed to file a claim, so can't speak to how that goes. I like that Geico can put my bikes on winter standby, saving me some $. (You can call me a wimp but I don't chose to ride in the Colorado mountains in the winter!)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have a little different take. I have maxed out the uninsured motorist, optional bodily injury, medical payments, under-insured motorist, personal injury etc on my policy. after seeing what a good friend of mine went thru financially after he had an accident it made me rethink trying to ever cheap out on bike insurance. He had a collision with a car that was the car operators fault. It messed him up pretty good and his insurance only covered a small portion of his medical bills, the drivers insurance the same. His work provided health insurance would not cover his medical bills because it was an auto accident and it was the responsibility of the auto insurance company. His medical bills totaled in the hundreds of thousands and it required lawsuits to get it fixed. It he had better coverage a lot of that could have been mitigated. I do pay extra for the coverage but it could make a huge difference if i ever had an accident and that's why you have insurance. I pay~ 250 a year for each of my TW's. My carrier is Liberty Mutual. I have used some of the cheaper ones like geico etc in the past and never again, i have had bad experiences.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a little different take. I have maxed out the uninsured motorist, optional bodily injury, medical payments, under-insured motorist, personal injury etc on my policy. after seeing what a good friend of mine went thru financially after he had an accident it made me rethink trying to ever cheap out on bike insurance. He had a collision with a car that was the car operators fault. It messed him up pretty good and his insurance only covered a small portion of his medical bills, the drivers insurance the same. His work provided health insurance would not cover his medical bills because it was an auto accident and it was the responsibility of the auto insurance company. His medical bills totaled in the hundreds of thousands and it required lawsuits to get it fixed. It he had better coverage a lot of that could have been mitigated. I do pay extra for the coverage but it could make a huge difference if i ever had an accident and that's why you have insurance. I pay~ 250 a year for each of my TW's. My carrier is Liberty Mutual. I have used some of the cheaper ones like geico etc in the past and never again, i have had bad experiences.
Yikes! What a nightmare! Your poor friend :(
We have really good health insurance through work including disability, it's worth checking to see if they would, God forbid, cover either one of us in a similar situation.
Thanks for the alternative view.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I was just checking since my car and bike insurance is due. Progressive here in Houston I added uninsured underinsured for only $20.00 more than liability only with Liberty Mutual. Of course adding my vehicles helped it to lower also. I still ended up about $300.00 cheaper for all with better coverage. The moral of the story is shop and weigh out all options. As stated above more coverage is better. I have seen too many tube videos where the car driver just splits. Underinsured uninsured would cover that. Of course riding 70% off road I would probably still have liability only.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts