TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reading some of the interesting info recently on changing your own tires, I followed a few links and came across these motorcycle snow chains for low speed use in snow or mud. A little expensive due to European manufacture, but I thought it might also trigger the imaginations of those of you who are handy and like to tinker with things, since they don't really look super complicated. http://www.mv-motorr...7,,10107,,,.htm

Corey

·
Registered
90 Posts
cool, we could probably make something like that and its very compact as well. but im onr of the lucky ones i live in bakersfield ca. i ride all year long.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Mr. Gizmow doesn't live so far from Bakersfield but apparently the elevational climb makes the difference. He has had chains (and even a ski on the front fork). I think the chains on the back tire worked, but the ski might have been dubiously dangerous. As I recall he adapted some standard automotive chains. Happy Day everybody. Tom

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have used snow car/truck cables before on my TW, with awesome results. I believe they came from my previous truck with 185/75/14 and they were nearly perfect, perhaps a little less length would've been a little better.

They're fun though...and they work! I've even put them on the front tire too, which helped a little more.

-Adam

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Cable chains. They work, are plentifull used (off season) are light, affordable (used) and are 'fast' and easy to put on. I have a set for front and rear, and generally use them (not so much anymore) when the ride would likely involve a hard surface and slippery mud. Gerry

I think I have found a 'fairly easy' way to tension the chains and pull them in close to the rim to minimize the chance of them catching on something. I very quickly tried this product and I think it will work fine so I purchased an extra set to have to tie stuff down to the top of my rear box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts