·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Brock,

Are you using it to support the bike while you work on it?

If so HF, PepBoys, Walmart et al have hydraulic bike lifts which are far more stable and have about a 4" minimum height. Generally 50 bucks or so. Look like this, and you'll find it in several colors and marketed under different names and pricing, but they're all the same item.

http://www.amazon.com/Garage-Dirt-Bike-Motorcycle-Heavy/dp/B004IWM3Y2/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

I routinely lift 600-800 lb. bikes with one just like it. Just make sure you Loctite all the nuts and bolts when you assemble it. The handle comes off and it's pretty compact whe not in use.

The race stands are pretty useless for doing repairs, IMO.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I picked up that HF stand for even less using a 20% off coupon.

You are correct that it does not fit easily under a TW. I just roll the front tire up onto a 4" high block of wood then the lift slides easily under the engine.

First few lifts were very difficult. Bad enough that I thought I would be taking it back. Must have been jamming on the paint. Once used a few times I can easily lift it now.

The small second lever is not a lock. The lift goes over center as you step on the main lever. Then you secure/lock it with a pin.

The small lever is a release bar. Place your foot on both levers. Push the release lever down first and the bike lowers very easily.

Not a big fan of HF stuff but this item is OK. Could be a little more stable but it works fine as is.

I secure it in the raised position with the pin and if I am going to use it more than a few minutes I wrap a tie down strap around the engine and stand platform. Never had any trouble.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have this lift from HF. Identical to the one Lizrdbrth linked, but yellow. It has a 4.5" minimum clearance and fits easily under the TW. I have added a 1/2" square of plywood across the arms to create a flat base to catch the skid plate. Works well, and holds the TW very stable. I have been pleased with it.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
That's the same lift. It can be found cheaper elsewhere. I think I payed around 50 bucks apiece for 2 of them, one from Pep Boys, one from Wally. One was red, with a shorter handle, one was yellow with the T handle, like yours.

Pretty generic, made in China and sold all over. The hydraulic ram tends to creep overnight with a heavy bike on it, but it'll stay put with a TW's weight for weeks.

Anyway, worth shopping around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts