1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
This looks like a GREAT new daily thread LT ;)

A motorcycle news thread WILL be awesome. I can't wait until your next post it the NEW thread named:

"MOTORCYCLE NEWS"

:D

(let me know if you need me to start it for you :)

/hi-jack mode OFF

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This looks like a GREAT new daily thread LT ;)

A motorcycle news thread WILL be awesome. I can't wait until your next post it the NEW thread named:

"MOTORCYCLE NEWS"

:D

(let me know if you need me to start it for you :)

/hi-jack mode OFF
Why you dirty rotten son of a seabiscuit...!! :eek:

As if I don't already have enough daily posts I have to make... :D

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Guess this justifies the Calif law that any towed vehicle must travel in the right lane except to pass.
Rider was one lucky fella for sure. I do feel he could have avoided, but that's just me.
As for the video cam folks.... I would have pulled over into the cycle riders lane or the left shoulder. Damn dangerous to do that in Cal.

Jim

·
Registered
20,170 Posts
I agree grewen, most folks kept on driving ..."Not my problem, let's not get involved".
This attitude is common in developed areas where it seems logical that someone else will do something about the problem, some authority, emergency services,etc.
This attitude is un-common in undeveloped areas where it seems logical that since no one else is around one's sense of duty is to do something.
Population pressures tend to make us less helpful to our fellow man.

·
Registered
514 Posts
A good bump steer would have gotten him around that.I personally would never have been behind that load.I hope he is ok.
Yep, probably never attended a Motorcycle safety course.... Bump Steer? Many non-schooled riders have no clue about this...

Jim

·
Registered
319 Posts
I preach and preach to my 20 year old son about not following too close to vehicles ahead of him. I watch him maintain a 1 second following distance and it really bothers me.

As a riding buddy you should do a few things.
One: never ride beyond your abilities or those of your riding buddies. If you want to act the fool, go do it on your own time by yourself and let someone else find you in the ditch.
Second: if someone who is your trusted riding buddy cares enough about you to tell you that there are things he is worried about with your practice of the sport, LISTEN TO HIM!

There is no third.

This rider in the video didn't pay attention. He had some time to make adjustments. However, he wasn't following too close but perhaps was thinking all was well ahead of him.

SEE Search-Evaluate-Execute. What the heck are we taught in MSF all the time. SEE folks. If you are doing it you could avoid such a pitfall.

Glad he is well but too bad his bike is a wreck and his insurance had to pay for it. Someone needed to capture that plate and info on the truck and trailer and report to state police.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Yep, probably never attended a Motorcycle safety course.... Bump Steer? Many non-schooled riders have no clue about this...

Jim
OK...i'll be the one...I've been riding since 1967 and......................I don't know what a bump steer is. I maybe doing it, but the term means nothing to me. can someone enlighten me please

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
In effect aggressive Counter Steering. Practice makes perfect!

grewen, you have already been doing it all these years, since you have been riding to the last 49 years.

A Bump Steer is simply a method of intentionally pushing the Right end of the handlebar firmly and aggressively enough, that the bike makes a radical lane change to the right lane....or..conversely....pushing on the Left end of the handlebar firmly and aggressively enough that the bike makes a radical lane change to the left lane. Like, trail riding in Moab, and Fred has thrown a large boulder in front of your bike, that he kicked loose when his Duro tire hits a loose boulder, so it rolls out in front of you, and you have to make a last second decision to go right or left......BUT...on the paved roads at much higher speeds, it is done by "pushing" the handlebar end one way or the other, to go in that direction.

With all your years of riding, it is something that is just natural to you, even though you may not be aware of the term used.

On slower speed trails, we might be equally pushing one of the bar, and pulling the other end of the bar. But on paved roads and most certainly at much higher speeds, it is a radical lane change to avoid debris or vehicles in the road.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
thanks TWilight.... I guess I must be doing it as I have never hit anything. I think there is something that goes along with that. since I have been riding the mighty Tdub, I find myself steering a lot with my feet. might sound strange but it works and it is comfortable

·
Registered
827 Posts
I think the rider probably moved toward the obstacle due to a reflex called 'target fixation'. It's a pilot's term. At least, that's how I learned the term while in the Air Force. Basically means; what you look at is what you steer towards. If you see something bad, look for the opening, your muscle reflexes will steer you through the opening. look at the obstacle and you will steer through the obstacle. In this instance, the safe opening was to the left shoulder. Steering into other lanes of traffic isn't a good idea in any instance.

I also think the rider wasn't paying attention and was startled by the obstacle.

·
Registered
827 Posts
From Wiki;

Target fixation is an attentional phenomenon observed in humans in which an individual becomes so focused on an observed object (be it a target or hazard) that they inadvertently increase their risk of colliding with the object. The phenomenon is most commonly associated with scenarios in which the observer is in control of a high-speed vehicle or other mode of transportation, such as race-car drivers, fighter pilots, motorcyclists, mountain bikers, and surfers. In such cases, the observer may fixate so intently on the target that they steer in the direction of their gaze, which is often the ultimate cause of a collision. The term target fixation was used in World War II fighter-bomber pilot training to describe pilots flying into targets during a strafing or bombing run.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I saw the video and there are a few things I noticed,
Biker was following too close,
Biker didn't know the first rule of accidents,
#1 rule of accidents is,
AIM for where the accident if happening, ! ! ! !
By the time you get there the accident will be somewhere else,
In other words, When the roll came off the boat, The safest place to aim would be where the roll made first impact,
I drive a lot of highway each week and when ever two cars are about to touch, They will swerve away fast,
Watch any car race,
~ ~ ~
Anyway,
Im glad the rider is OK,
Gotts watch the road and leave that space ahead of you at all times,
~ ~
One day I was being tailgated ion the highway and I was driving my 97 Landrover Discovery and the tail gater in a small car,
Out from under a tractor trailer I saw a retread and I immediately straddled it as I had time to react and the lane next to me was occupied,
The small car behind me ran over the retread and pulled to the shoulder after,
He was following TOO CLOSE,
Be careful guys and Gals ! !
Peter B

1 - 20 of 25 Posts