TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought a low profile LED light for $9.89 shipped on ebay. $1.59 for a 4"x8" piece of 16ga metal plate at Lowes. Bent it up and made the bracket, drilled holes, test fit, sanded, sprayed a coat of primer, after a few hours, sprayed 2 coats of black. I had a piece of small U channel rubber edging that I CA glued (Zap-A-Gap) around the edge. So it looks good, with no sharp edges. Here's my little project, start to finish. Bars on bike still done, with ass end of bike up on stand in my shed. So it was hard getting straight on pics. But, you get the idea. The light is much brighter than the big stock light with drop down fender.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
looks good, nicely done.

did you take your tank shrouds off for a reason?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Very tidy, I like it a lot.

Edit: What rack is that on the tail?
Thank's, got the idea from the Tidy Tail I mounted on my Ducati. That's an older 1st gen. Manrack which isn't made anymore. Bought from a member here. Sold my Cycle Rack, and put that on. I only carry a small tank bag on the rear.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks good, nicely done.

did you take your tank shrouds off for a reason?
Yeah, The tank was off and in the house for Winter storage. I'm just getting it back together, and just haven't got that far yet. Same with barkbuster hand guards. Just mounted new bars, and not 100% finished yet. I guess I shouldn't post nudes of my bike....:p

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
​ Great layout on that mounting plate. How did you get those nice bends? Gerry
I made up a kind of homemade bending break tool/jig out of 3/4" plywood, C clamps, big door hinge, large vise, etc. Just measured, marked, test fit, bend, and did that a few times until I got it right. I was in no rush, and just took my time. It's all rubber mounted, but tight and stiff. By looking at your bike Gerry, I'm sure you know what I mean. If ya don't got the right tool, you gotta make it.....;)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Would you sell the parts you took off. I don't like the little taillight and want to modify a stocker.
I want to keep all my stock parts for when I sell the bike someday. Most of the time, mods decrease the value. What happened to yours? There was one complete unit in the Classifieds for $35 the other week. I've seen quite a few listed there. Don't think it sold, same member I bought the small rack from.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Nothing, I too keep all my stock parts- that I never do put back on️. Then when I sell I give buyer all the stock parts.
If you mean the LED lights I just don't like the looks on my bike. It's just to much of a change in looks for me. Yes change is hard for me.
I have all listed to trade, for stock rear parts.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yes I have mine I want to modify one. I'm hoping some one will trade for the LED turns and My version of fender eliminator for stock. I can't throw more money out, so if no trade I'll just stay stock. Since my diode is easy to remove from wiring harness I can go back easily. But the smaller lights did accomplish what I wanted as far as room in my cargo trailer.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok, now I understand what you want to do with that. Yeah, The diode is for your LED turn signals so they blink and not just stay on, right? Since the LED doesn't draw enough amps to load the old style flasher unit on the TW. My buddy made one for his street bike from 2 electrical parts from electronics store like or Radio Shack for around $5 bucks. A resistor maybe? or something like that. I don't know. He's an electronics geek, and makes all kinda cool stuff cheap or free from old radio, TV, parts, etc.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Bob,

It looks great. Did the rubber piece that light is mounted on come with it or is that something you had laying around. Also did that come from a offshore seller?

John

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
That looks great! Funny how removing a fender instantly makes a bike sexy. Well at least when there is a 180 underneath.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
The stock under-fender is perhaps the most un-cool thing about a TW's appearance. Very nice improvement Bob. "No sharp edges" is another worthy goal, my plate is on a slightly larger rubbery backing so in a fall there is reduced chance of that plates edges knifing into my femoral artery. Bob's plate would look safer with some of the bracket's edging material wrapped around it

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
John,
Yes, ebay, from Hong Kong but got it in 2 weeks. It's $9.89 shipped to my door. It's not crappy either. Pretty darn solid, I was pleasantly surprised. You want the Link? I talked to them a few times before bying. Quick replies, and kept me updated with tracking until it got in the US and I was able to track. I would buy from them again, and would buy same light if I broke this one somehow.

It's in the first post here. The bracket I made, and rubber U channel edging is leftover from a project I did a few years ago. But, I did buy in on ebay. Just search for: rubber edging. Or: rubber U edging.

Fred,
Yes, I "Think" I have enough to edge the plate, but honestly didn't check cuz I ran out of glue. Gotta get more. Got side tracked and forgot. So, Thanks for reminding me....;)

I forgot to take pics of the plate and light thingy when bike was outside. I didn't have my tank scoops on, but here's pics from car wash the other day. You get the idea.

·
Registered
474 Posts
John,
Yes, ebay, from Hong Kong but got it in 2 weeks. It's $9.89 shipped to my door. It's not crappy either. Pretty darn solid, I was pleasantly surprised. You want the Link? I talked to them a few times before bying. Quick replies, and kept me updated with tracking until it got in the US and I was able to track. I would buy from them again, and would buy same light if I broke this one somehow.

It's in the first post here. The bracket I made, and rubber U channel edging is leftover from a project I did a few years ago. But, I did buy in on ebay. Just search for: rubber edging. Or: rubber U edging.
Bob,
Yes post the link. What I was asking about was not the rubber u edging. In your first picture below the ratchet there is a thicker piece and in the third pick looks sandwiched between light and frame. Is that the whole 4"x 8" sheet with bends around 3" and the other at 6"?

John

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
John, no, most likely not. I did cut about 2" inches off that piece. The rubber between the light and metal bracket is the rubber piece from rear gas tank mount bolt. When I mounte the XT225 tank, I changed the rear bolt mount setup a little, so I had that rubber piece left over. I just cut the nipple off.
Here is the light form same seller. Looks like they added a shipping cost now. Still cheap, and worth it IMO. While talking via ebay messages, Seller was Tyler I remember.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251865698748

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very helpful tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to document it.

I used this as a guide for making mine. I thought I could skip the plate bend, but the aesthetic is just off so I'll add the plate bend on Monday. Currently using an identical clear tail light I had kicking around. Definitely going to order the Hong Kong red lense. If my stock fender and tail light didn't get sucked under the rear wheel and scrape for 3 laps I'm not sure when I would have got around to it.

image.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts