TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know TW folk do this "all" the time ,but, why do some tire manufacturer's frown on mounting a rear tire on the front of a bike......such as our TW's ?. I e-mailed MEFO tire and the response was something like this : " We strongly advise not to mount a rear tire on the front of a motorcycle......blah ,blah ,blah.......due to the difference in the internal belt "wrap" / direction ".....something to this effect ?.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
When I took my Shinko Golden Boy in to Cycle Gear to have them mount it on my front wheel they refused to do it even though the tread pattern is symmetrical and there is no directional arrow on the sidewall. When I asked why, they said it was company policy so I asked to speak with a manager but they said there wasn't one on duty. I then took it to an independent shop and they mounted it without issue.

I remember someone on here said that if you mount a directional rear tire on the front, then you should reverse the rotation of it. Something about the different forces that the front and rear tires see, i.e., driving forces vs braking forces. That all that I can offer to this topic.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Brian .This is where "I just don't get-it " ; the tire's rotate the same direction , brake in the same direction ,but I can see where there could be a difference in force applied , But I'd think a bigger tire (rear tire up front ) would be better at dealing with these forces , heat etc......follow me on this ?. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
i think tony has his fancy, german 20,000 mile tire reverse direction.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The biggest reason some tires are labeled front only or rear directional only is because of the cord and internal structure of the tire. Directional front tires are cord fitted for torque in the braking and side wall stability only. Rear tires are structured for torque to resist the acceleration stress of the sidewall, but must also resist the braking action in the opposite direction. That said, rear tires can be mounted on the front with the consequence of a ridged side wall, but a front tire should not be mounted on the rear.
Mel

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
The biggest reason some tires are labeled front only or rear directional only is because of the cord and internal structure of the tire. Directional front tires are cord fitted for torque in the braking and side wall stability only. Rear tires are structured for torque to resist the acceleration stress of the sidewall, but must also resist the braking action in the opposite direction. That said, rear tires can be mounted on the front with the consequence of a ridged side wall, but a front tire should not be mounted on the rear.
Mel
Yep, 100% correct...;)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Those of you that have a rear tire on the front, do you notice the stiffer ride because of the stiffer sidewall?

·
Registered
20,366 Posts
I cannot say for certain if ride became stiffer after change from oem front tire to IRC GP-1 Trials tire . Certainly feel changed, but for the better. The overall cornering and braking feel were much better even though new tire is much heavier.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
By the time my tire gets to 20K miles it won't be a knobby anymore! Actually I am hoping for something in the 15K to 18K range.

When first mounted I had it going in the right direction. The ends of the knobs were wearing at an angle so I showed it to the dealer where I bought it. He said my tire pressure was to low and that it needed to be at least 30 psi which it is now. When I bought the tire and when I returned to ask about the wear pattern I asked if I should reverse the direction, that is mount it backwards, and both times the dealer said he wouldn't bother, but to offset the wear pattern I went ahead and reversed the direction.

I can't tell the difference whether the tire is going forwards or reverse rotation. I will say the tire is much heavier and stiffer than the OEM tire and I bet in its weak direction it is stronger than the OEM tire is in its strong direction. The dealer also said that on the back or a KLR or DR 650 the tire averaged about 7K miles. My tire is closing in on 10K miles and still looks good though I should re-balance it.

BTW, my tire is a Heidenau tire which I think is made by MEFO or maybe Heidenau makes the MEFO, I don't know which but I am pretty sure the two tires are related. Tony

·
Registered
94 Posts
OKay...Tell me if I'm crazy. But I've been trying to get ahold of you , Joe!
Whats up , man? I really want those side panels !!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts