TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ramojo45 wrote:

"I just purchased a TW 200 and am experiancing some buyer regret, i bought the bike knowing that i wont be doing any hwy driving but will have to travel 2 lane roads with atleast 55mph speed limits if i want to get anywhere to actually do some off road riding, some of these rides will rquire some distance, will this bike handle a somewhat long ride on a hot summer day at these speeds?
The dealer didnt really answer my question with any certainty."

It will do that all day long Ramojo, every day, year after year. Have no regret.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Ramjo,yes as Borneo said, all day, all week ,all year....generally speaking. Rejet the bike if it has not been rejetted,will run cooler,better in all regards.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
This is the very best way to help keep the engine cool!

I have the exact conditions you describe, secondary roads 15, 20 and 30 miles to get to the trails and fishing holes I like. We don't get extreme heat here but it does reach into the 90s in July and August.
Not sure I see how wrapping the header pipe will do much for cooling the engine. True it could keep some of the radiant heat away from the fins but it also will block the pipe itself from the cooling effect of the wind blowing over it. It does look cool and I have a rather old and well rusted header on my 88 project bike that could employ the wrap for strictly cosmetic appearance.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know the first thing about header wraps and I'm not going to pretend to. I do love the look though, and in fact, I plan to wrap the pipes on my CX500 project once it's done...once again, for looks. However, being the curious person I am I looked around on the internet after reading GaryL's post. I found the following, which doesn't deal with motorcycles specifically, and which may be (given the tone) biased, but there are some figures given regarding measured temperatures that I found interesting. I'm still gonna wrap my CX500 pipes though, dangit. I like the look.

Exhaust Header Heat Wraps - Do Not Use

·
Registered
278 Posts
You're right Borneo...I think they look super cool. And that's definitely part of it...as far as cooling...probably minimal, perhaps only 10 degrees or so from the "scavenging" of the exhaust gas/heat being more efficient and also less temp of the air going accross the headpipe towards the motor, but I do not think that one would be able to damage the pipe or inerds on an aircooled engine. Perhaps water cooled, idk, but aircooled, no. And it looks cool ha

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have a turbo diesel with wrap just past the turbo. It has been on there for about 19 years. If you put it on your motorcycle and it gets wet and you do not ride it to dry it completely it will rust faster under the wrap.

·
Registered
814 Posts
You can get it ceramic coated in some wild colors. Tig welded custom titanium exhaust with the springs holding the joints together are even tricker. When I was a teen, wrapped headers on a V8 screamed, "fast".

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gotta have the Firestones. I love them. The bike is for looks and ice cream runs. I have stuff for longer rides. Besides, the old girl deserves some new clothes and pasture time...I have owned her since new, 1979.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts