TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was on the way back from my buddy's house this evening and the bike suddenly stopped running... luckily, nobody was behind me and I was able to just reach down and rotate the gas valve to reserve and it came back on line.

I got 93 miles on the main tank. Not so good... 66 MPG by my calculations if it was 1.4 gal, but then, I am breaking the thing in - varying the speed/RPMs and not running low RPM's. So I guess this really reduces the fuel efficiency.

What have you found with your TW during break-in? Was it the same for you?

·
Registered
236 Posts
93 miles, 149km. Sounds like what I've been getting. Its usually between 150-155km that I'll have to go into reserve. If I'm strictly using out on highways going 80-90km/h I'll only get 130km before having to go into the reserve.

My carb could probably be played around with. To me they're witchcraft though so I'd need someone else to take a look at it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I got mine the first full tank got me almost 140 miles...the 2nd full tank...it went dead at 83miles and I had to switch to reserve. I've got a little over 1,000 miles on it now...and i'm back up to 72 or 73 mpg. So yeah during break in the same thing happened to me OSOK.

Lance

·
Registered
236 Posts
140 miles, 225km. That sound's amazing. How do I get there... Hmph.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Fuel economy can only really be determined in a controlled setting such as the same ride daily over a few weeks on a regular commute. The way most of us ride our bikes in all sorts of varied conditions pretty much blows accuracy out unless you keep track for an over all average.

I know if I am cruising around on secondary roads and at an average of 45-55 MPH then I will hit the reserve at around 80 miles almost every time if the tank was topped off from the start. I haven't really spent that much time on old logging roads and trails just putting along to get an idea of how many miles I get at low RPM running. I do think your mileage will get better as the break in progresses.

GaryL

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah good to hear guys. I guess 66 isn't really that bad considering the way I'm working the engine - and the fact that it's still wearing-in. I now at the point - 240 miles that I'm doing the second oil change/filter clean. I'm sure when I start using synthetic oil that I'll see a small improvement from that too (?).

I see why folks go to the trouble of getting the bigger tanks.... you'd think that Yamaha would be listening to their customers and increasing the size of the tank, making the foot pegs bigger, etc. I guess they don't see the profit in changing something that is selling steady but not at high velocity. Can't blame them. I'm just glad they're still making them!

What a great bike!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
My closest fuel is at home so I keep good track of my odometer and I know right around 80 miles is where I hit the reserve. Being a cheapskate of sorts I found a decent solution when needed. Home Depot and Lowes and probably most small engine shops are now carrying pre mixed True Fuel in quart containers. I use it in my chain saws and other small engines. I save the containers that happen to be quite nice and I fill them with straight gas. I figure a quart should get me about 20 miles if I ever get caught short while out playing and fishing.
I do wish I could get true fuel, real ethanol free gas around here but then I am in the Communist State of NY. The next time I get up near Vermont or NH, both Free States, I plan to bring a few 5 gallon fuel jugs and buy some real gas for the T dub. I will bet my mileage might go up to closer to 90 miles before the reserve is hit.

GaryL

·
Registered
77 Posts
I m getting great mileage. The last few fill ups I had 86 on odometer and still put in only $3.04 to $3.05 each time, gas is $3.58 here.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GaryL, sounds like your Tdub needs some attention? Or are you riding it such that the MPG is lower? Mine's brand new and still in break-in and getting to 93 miles before needing the reserve...

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
GaryL, sounds like your Tdub needs some attention? Or are you riding it such that the MPG is lower? Mine's brand new and still in break-in and getting to 93 miles before needing the reserve...
Mine is a 1991 and just barely broken in with 800 miles. My carb has some BS after market kit in it from the PO but new OEM parts will be here tomorrow. How many miles one gets on a tank of fuel is completely dependent upon the riding you do. Start and stop, lots of hills and a decent amount of 50-60 MPH hilly roads is what I am doing.

Lets face the facts, if we had a 1 mile oval track and set the bike at a constant speed, 30, 40 or 50 MPH this would be a better indication of true mileage. Around here where I am going up one side of a mountain and down the other and varying speeds with starts and stops plus playing around with some wide open throttle every now and then is not an accurate measure of fuel economy. It is however what I do and how I ride so when I say I get around 80 miles when the reserve is needed, this is all mine and your mileage may vary. I am about 180 pounds and I always carry around 50 pounds behind me on the rack. My wife's SUV has a computer and she regularly gets around 25 MPG when she drives a long distance. When I drive her car on the same long distance run it goes down to around 24 MPG because I drive a bit faster and my take offs are always a bit quicker.

I guess the only way to know would be to have 2 T Dubs riding the same trails at the same speeds and with the same loads. One might do a little better in the economy department but it should not be all that different if both bikes are properly tuned and running right. Me and Bucknutz will be doing exactly this once we both get our carbs just right and start hitting some nice fishing holes this fall. He has '95 and I have a '91 and we just need to get them tuned right and adjust the weights to close.

GaryL

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have similar milage and riding conditions as GaryL (lots of start and stop, hills, and WOT) - ~80 when I hit reserve. My TW I consider as broken in at 1500 mi (some might disagree ;) ). I think altitude has an effect as well, and my riding at 5200 to 10000 ft elevation probably puts me on the rich side of fuel mixture with the stock jetting.

Other factors are wind, load (rider+gear), and aerodynamics (when loaded with an Actionpacker, panniers, saddlebags, tankbag etc., I certainly don't represent a low drag profile :D ).

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I have similar milage and riding conditions as GaryL (lots of start and stop, hills, and WOT) - ~80 when I hit reserve. My TW I consider as broken in at 1500 mi (some might disagree ;) ). I think altitude has an effect as well, and my riding at 5200 to 10000 ft elevation probably puts me on the rich side of fuel mixture with the stock jetting.

Other factors are wind, load (rider+gear), and aerodynamics (when loaded with an Actionpacker, panniers, saddlebags, tankbag etc., I certainly don't represent a low drag profile :D ).
I find all these threads about fuel economy/TW Mileage to be meaningless. Yes, the TW is a very economical bike for sure but every one of us has completely different riding conditions that clearly affect the mileage we will get. In a controlled environment where each bike has the same weight, same driver and the same track it will be possible to gauge the mileage each bike gets but when (Joe) who is 260 pounds is riding his fully decked out bike at 5,000 feet above sea level up and down mountains Vs (Mike) who is 110 pounds with a completely stock machine and on the coast at sea level with no mountains or hills it tells us nothing.

All I know for sure is that I go approx. 80 miles every time right here where I ride and with me and my gear on board until I need to switch over to the reserve. YMMV, in fact, Your Mileage WILL vary. There are simply way too many variables to state a TW will get 75 or 85 or 95 miles per gallon. It is good to hear that some on here get amazing mileage but it means nothing to the rest of us.

GaryL

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took a trip down to Ridgeland yesterday to go buy some oil filters. It was about 185 mile round trip. My butt sure got sore in the last 30 miles or so... anyhoo, when I filled it after getting down there, the indication was 71 MPG - but that's just using the how much on the pump vs miles method - close but not perfect. I tried to fill it to the same level as I had previously. I did use premium gas too...

Took the Natchez Trace, so speed was 50-55 for most of the trip.

Seems to go 90 something before needing the reserve. This is Mississippi - lower elevations of course with rolling hills.

That's not bad. One of the big reasons that I got a TW was that I wanted a fuel sipper should the time get here that I need such. And I think were heading to it in the near future... unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a bit of GaryL opinion on fuel milage. All we see are one tank fuel estimations with way too much variance in a single fill up. What about a 5 or maybe even a 10 tank fill up compilation of consumption vs milage. It would be much more accurate for a persons actual use.
Mel

·
Registered
323 Posts
I find all these threads about fuel economy/TW Mileage to be meaningless. Yes, the TW is a very economical bike for sure but every one of us has completely different riding conditions that clearly affect the mileage we will get. In a controlled environment where each bike has the same weight, same driver and the same track it will be possible to gauge the mileage each bike gets but when (Joe) who is 260 pounds is riding his fully decked out bike at 5,000 feet above sea level up and down mountains Vs (Mike) who is 110 pounds with a completely stock machine and on the coast at sea level with no mountains or hills it tells us nothing.

All I know for sure is that I go approx. 80 miles every time right here where I ride and with me and my gear on board until I need to switch over to the reserve. YMMV, in fact, Your Mileage WILL vary. There are simply way too many variables to state a TW will get 75 or 85 or 95 miles per gallon. It is good to hear that some on here get amazing mileage but it means nothing to the rest of us.

GaryL
I agree 100% with the bolded section (my emphasis added). But it can be stated that it's possible for a TW to get 75-95 mpg.

I find these threads interesting though. If nothing else, they demonstrate that there is a large variance dependent on many factors. Factory specs indicate MPG is around 79 (followed by a disclaimer that it is an estimate, actual mileage will vary based on road conditions, how you ride, load etc etc.). Reading through threads like this one, one can see how great that variability can be. I perused some older threads on the topic and came away with mpg numbers as low as 45 and as high as 120. Tossing out the outliers gives a range from the mid 50's to the high 90's an average of which, not surprisingly comes close to the factory spec. IMO, every TW out there regardless of those variables (in average running condition) can achieve that factory spec., or better - the most important variable is the rider.

This thread could be educational to someone who never considered all of the variables involved (thanks to your contribution) and wonders why they are only getting 60 mpg when others report getting 100 and the factory spec is 79. It could be someone thinking there's a mechanical issue causing them to get worse mileage, and offer points of comparison. A lot of times it's a question of how to improve MPG. Easy. Gentle acceleration, coast to a stop instead of downshifting, keep the rpms low, time stoplights/traffic flow so you don't have to stop/slow as often, reduce weight/drag wherever possible, increase tire inflation and so on. For someone on a MPG quest those that get amazing mileage can have something to offer.

If I employ every technique I know in order to improve MPG I have gotten as high as 90 MPG, and it was an interesting experiment I had fun with. I enjoy my throttle and farkles (as well as routes that require a minimum speed faster than an optimum speed for fuel efficiency) a little too much to achieve that on a regular basis, thus my enjoyment outweighs my desire for better MPG and on average I get ~60 mpg.

The important thing for me is to know what kind of mileage I get on an average basis given my riding habits, style and load. That way I lessen my chances of running out of gas and having to walk :eek: . But it's still interesting to see everyone elses numbers. :cool:

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
After all of this and with all of these discussions regarding gas mileage if you add it all up and do the math, what are we discussing? Maybe a dollar or two per tank full if that much!

I am only honestly interested in the mileage I get on my TW and under the conditions I ride and only so I don't get caught out of fuel and a long way from home. As I have said before, I am happy that some here are getting fantastic if not unbelievable fuel economy but I can assure you they won't do so well if they follow me doing exactly the same ride I do in the same manner and with equal weight. It honestly is a moot issue but getting to know your bike and how far you can go in YOUR normal conditions is of great importance so you don't get stuck.

I know of a ride where I could easily take my TW and probably get well over 150 MPGs. While out in Nevada while on vacation we decided to go see Death Valley. The sign at the top said 12% down hill grade for the next 68 miles. The return trip back would be the killer!

GaryL

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first few tanks I ran through the TW I would hit reserve somewhere from 85-90 miles. Burned a tank at 60 mph (which i've discovered is WFO), and hit reserve at 70 miles. I am no longer paying any attention to it. It is what it is.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It's also nice and somewhat comforting to see other similar body types and/or use-styles getting similar MPGs.

My typical commute path in SF has a /lot/ of stop signs and stop lights, I'm 230, and I like to lay on the throttle. When I first brought my little monster home I was hitting the reserve at 64/65 and freaked out a little (zomg did i buy a broked bike??). I re-built/-jetted the carb and replaced the float bowl gasket that was trash, and now I'm nailing 77/78 every fill-up. Still not great, relative to some users here, but seems about on par with other users in threads like these that are riding similarly, and I have since stopped worrying about it.

<3 this thing!

·
Registered
323 Posts
After all of this and with all of these discussions regarding gas mileage if you add it all up and do the math, what are we discussing? Maybe a dollar or two per tank full if that much!
Snip......

GaryL
All in an individuals perspective. That dollar or two can also be viewed as a 50 to 100% improvement in fuel economy. :D

What are we discussing? These great little bikes that seem to have captured our interest and attention. Dub on, Dubbers! Dub on!

:eek:ccasion14:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts