TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first time on this site, first time on tdub

I have a 1996 tw200h with standard gearing, standard exhaust system, standard "knobbly tyres" (on/off road) i am wondering if anybody knows what the range is for mpg from full tank until it hits reserve and also how far i can get on reserve until it stops ? or what i should be getting ?

I have upjetted carb with #42 piolet jet,#116 main and shimmed needle up, (i also have #118 main if i have lean running issues)

The bike pulls cleanly up too full throttle with no issues to approx 63mph, i don't know if this about right speed ?

The other probable concern might be what it is hauling ! my weight , 91 kilos or 14.56 stones

Yep i know i need to get that down, its not good for bike or health either way you look at it

any comments kindly received A rough mpg check from full too reserve switch over is about (92 miles)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Welcome to the semi-world famous T-dub site (o;..

Mine hits reserve at 1.2 gals. That leaves .6 gals.

So if I did the math right you are getting just under 64 mpg.. That should give you about 32 miles on reserve.. For a total of 100 per tank.. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I get 90+ mpg at almost every fill up.. Mine is stock except I have a road style front tire and the 14/47 gear combo....

I've had mine up to 72.6 on GPS.. "78" on speedo.

What the heck is a "STONE"?????????????????

OMM. P.S. You guys got anything special goin' on over there??

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I divide 92 miles by 1.2 gal I get 77 mpg; half of 92 miles is 46 miles on reserve for a total of 138 miles per tank. Does 1.2 gal from fill up to switch over to reserve seem typical?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Yes I did my math W-R-O-N-G My wife and I go about the same 1.2 gal. before reserve.. So I think that's average for our 06 dubs... OMM.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Omm for me to get 90 mpg on the tdub it would have to be in the back of my truck!

I get around 55 mpg doing a close 50/50, but it doesn't vary much even when most is on road. Is there a trick I'm missing somewhere or is the newer carb really that much better on gas?

Back to topic, With a fresh cleaned carb I can hold 66mph on flat ground. I would always go with the conservative estimates on gas. At fillup I check the milleage and say 60 miles til reserve (before my bigger clarke tank). Then I try real hard not to hit reserve. And if you didn't catch Omm mention gps, our speedometers are innacurate between 50-65 mph. I find for mine it is exactly accurate up until 54 mph and accurate after 65 mph.

As for weight I weigh 200 lbs, pulls me just fine. There are bigger guys than us on these things with no problem.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I go 215 and my wife goes 130.. We ride side/side a lot of times and always check our mpg.... It's never below 80 and most of the time it's in the low 90 range. Our bikes are getting much better mileage now that we have more miles on them... New they would get low/mid 70's.... With 9,000 miles they have been great... My last fill up was 93... Hard to beat that.. OMM.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
WARNING!!!

Your MPG at highway speeds is much less than MPG on side streets and off road!!

I get between 65 and 70 MPG riding around town and on trails. All under 55 MPH.

The few times I've gone a long distance on the highway running 60+ I'd hit reserve at 60 or 70 miles.

And then there is the oil loss at those RPMs. With only one quart to start with, you need to check its level after every extended high speed run.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I go 215 and my wife goes 130.. We ride side/side a lot of times and always check our mpg.... It's never below 80 and most of the time it's in the low 90 range. Our bikes are getting much better mileage now that we have more miles on them... New they would get low/mid 70's.... With 9,000 miles they have been great... My last fill up was 93... Hard to beat that.. OMM.

thats interesting because this bike only has 1932 miles on from new !!!! yep 1996 model imported into uk in 1999 new ? so mpg might improve , not that i am complaining, 90 + mpg general riding is ok i just wanted too know if this was about normal figure, thanks for the info, cheers

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Omm for me to get 90 mpg on the tdub it would have to be in the back of my truck!

I get around 55 mpg doing a close 50/50, but it doesn't vary much even when most is on road. Is there a trick I'm missing somewhere or is the newer carb really that much better on gas?

Back to topic, With a fresh cleaned carb I can hold 66mph on flat ground. I would always go with the conservative estimates on gas. At fillup I check the milleage and say 60 miles til reserve (before my bigger clarke tank). Then I try real hard not to hit reserve. And if you didn't catch Omm mention gps, our speedometers are innacurate between 50-65 mph. I find for mine it is exactly accurate up until 54 mph and accurate after 65 mph.

As for weight I weigh 200 lbs, pulls me just fine. There are bigger guys than us on these things with no problem.

ha,ha,ha, thats cool "in the back of my truck"

its running the old style slide carb not the later cv type, everything standard on bike apart from bigger jets and shimmed needle

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So if I did the math right you are getting just under 64 mpg.. That should give you about 32 miles on reserve.. For a total of 100 per tank.. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I get 90+ mpg at almost every fill up.. Mine is stock except I have a road style front tire and the 14/47 gear combo....

I think you are on about weight issue ???, in uk the old pre decimilised way of measurent was imperial for being weighed was in stones? eg 16 oz's ounces =1lb,pound 14lb pounds = 1 stone ??? we now use kilo grammes as its metric but some of us still use both, ha ha ha, thats the uk for you

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
thats interesting because this bike only has 1932 miles on from new !!!! yep 1996 model imported into uk in 1999 new ? so mpg might improve , not that i am complaining, 90 + mpg general riding is ok i just wanted too know if this was about normal figure, thanks for the info, cheers
I was talking to my local shop owner when I was buying oil for our bikes... He asked me how my mileage is doing.. I told him the more miles we put on the better.. Yup, he said they were getting broke in... four things that might be reasons for improvement

1 Engine is getting broke-in.

2 Changed from 14/50 14/47.. I did gain a few with that move.

3 Change from pure dino oil to semi syn.

4 Changing the front tire from dirt to street tread..

When you add everything up it can make a big change in mileage.. OMM.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

It's a measurement of weight.

·
Registered
976 Posts

The 'newer carb' might just be a lot better.

With city commuting, my 155 lbs self gets a solid 100 mpg on a stock 2011 TW. When I'm off-road, my mpg seems to drop to a miserable 90 mpg.

Not sure if it's my riding style, speedo/odo being wrong, or what, but I also hit reserve around 1.2 gallons consumed.

For what it's worth, since my break-in I pretty much ride it like I stole it and my numbers haven't changed.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
14/55 sprockets it usually gets 60 to 65 mpg. I put a new front tire on last week and slowed down a lot to break it in and got 73.4 mpg which is the best I have done.

I usually hit reserve at about 100 miles.

I once got just over 50mpg but that was on a trip and I was running at almost WOT -- I held the tach at 9000 rpm for long stretches.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I can do almost exactly 100 miles before hitting reserve - everytime. Top speed might be 70mph but I don't go over 60 much. 15 tooth front sprocket and whatever the back stock one is have helped a bit with top speed and mpg.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was talking to my local shop owner when I was buying oil for our bikes... He asked me how my mileage is doing.. I told him the more miles we put on the better.. Yup, he said they were getting broke in... four things that might be reasons for improvement

1 Engine is getting broke-in.

2 Changed from 14/50 14/47.. I did gain a few with that move.

3 Change from pure dino oil to semi syn.

4 Changing the front tire from dirt to street tread..

When you add everything up it can make a big change in mileage.. OMM.
yeh running motul semi syn oil in it already, yes i thought the off road tyres would make a difference due too the design (they don't half make a noise on road) ha ha ha

I already have a 47t rear sprocket in the waiting i bought it when i started refurb of bike, but i wanted to set up bike first with all the original stock items before messing around with gearing and fuel settings , so that i could see if it made an improvement or it went the other way.

I am also running a "0" ring chain on it so that will pull it down slightly

In all i am loving it the smile on my face is awesome.

Its more fun than riding my Honda cbr900 fireblade

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
mpg: 38 to 101mpg (16,1 to 42.9km/l) depending on fuel quality, speed, sprocket ratio, sprockets and chain condition, oil quality, apparent wind, road surface, tire type, size, and inflation, carb tune, traffic, ..., etc., redundundatly, again.

mph: 6 to 84mph (9,7 to 135kph) depending on fuel quality, sprocket ratio, sprockets and chain condition, oil quality, apparent wind, road surface, tire type, size, and inflation, carb tune, ..., etc., redundundatly, again.

Not trying to be a smartass, but TWs are ridden in such varied conditions that performance expectations run to the extremes.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Check your carb float levels

We are talking fine numbers etc. a little rich and you would get worse numbers

If bike is used count your sprocket teeth may not be stock

Keep your tire pressure at like 22 min for street duty

Check if brake drags a little

Even including 35 mile dirt loops I get 60+ mpg

Street and I am up at mid 70's and she's newish

I can always get over 70 mph sitting up

1 - 20 of 21 Posts