TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, I will take my helmet is off and bow to all forum members that 'produce' a video. Capturing and posting a video can be pretty time consuming, but trying dissect a few videos in effort to complile enough pixels for an interesting presentation............. Good lord !

I went out for a 60 mile ride on Tuesday. Fooled with the video camera and took 6 videos ranging from 1 1/2 minutes to 9 minutes. The ride was 5 hours long. I spent almost 11 hours trying to edit it all into an 8 minute movie. At this point in my experience, I would say it is far more taxing than the ride. And for my efforts, I had to conceed to a grossly compromized product, the high point of which is likely hearing mrgizmow giggle "oh, bunnies". I need a beer......... Gerry

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OjHqZtjLlP4

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the Herculean effort, Gerry. I sure appreciate the hours invested by those who post videos and captioned photos to develop this talent..... so that the rest of us might tag along as spectators in their favorite riding areas. Bravo!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Very nice video, and great trails to ride !!!

Wonder what was the final movie file format and frame size before uploading to YouTube??

The frame size looks 16:9 but file does not look like HD format, but still nice quality ??

PS: Subscribed you youtube channel. ^^;

Thanks for the sharing.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Excellent. I really liked hearing the motor running softly in the background and your commentary over it. Now find some mines and old building or ghost towns.

Overall I enjoyed it. A little practice and it will get much better, but then who am I to criticize ? You are doing it, I am only watching. Tony

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
Thanks for sharing Gerry. With yours and BusyWebs (and others), efforts to add video's, I'm leaning towards something I had not considered. Video's sure to capture the feel better than still photo's, but they both will always have a place.

I sure can appreciate the effort involved. I never did an actual count, but in my last adventure post of still pic's, I used 40-50 photo's and took 171. I thought it took me forever during the editing phase, I can't imagine the time it takes to edit video. When or if I evolve to add video, I hope I will have the patience.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Nicely done, Gerry. The arduous adventure part seems to be the video editing, not the riding. Can't say that I would have the patience.

Thanks for taking us along.

jb

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nicely done, Gerry. The arduous adventure part seems to be the video editing, not the riding. Can't say that I would have the patience.

Thanks for taking us along.

jb

Yeah, thanks. I had to watch in two parts though, because in the middle I had to go for a ride.

Owen

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for sharing Gerry. With yours and BusyWebs (and others), efforts to add video's, I'm leaning towards something I had not considered. Video's sure to capture the feel better than still photo's, but they both will always have a place.

Thanks again.

Ditto for me! You two guys have really got my thinking about different possibilities, and I appreciate all the hard work that's been put into your productions---even if you don't feel the end product is "perfect" yet.

Corey

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Giz, what brand of cam are you using?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am very happy with the camera that I use. It is a Kodak Zi8. The unit is very small. Takes much higher quality pictures than you got to see, and seems very easy to use. My frustration comes with the editing software. At this point in time, I suspect the technology is very complex and any movie making software will likely test anyones patience. Gerry

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think I understand the software better (Correl Video Studio X3) so I decided to give it another try. Given the number of videos I took on Tuesdays ride, I still had lots of unseen pixels.

Location is Lassen National forest in an area East of Chico, Ca. and slightly West of the Feather River canyon (will try to link with my Spot transmissions). Hope you enjoy and a special thanks to our Video Pioneers for the inspiration. Gerry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMcnyaqoNmM

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Good video, Gerry. Hope it didn't take you 11 hours of editing this time.

In NC, it's not uncommon to see those log trucks speeding at 50+ mph... get out of the way or be flattened.

Your speed on the TW is deceptive. It looked a lot faster than 16 mph.

Is that a helmet mounted camera? I don't recall if you showed a picture of your camera set up.

jb

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suspect I aquired some new skills and a little software 'tweeking' help alot. The video manipulation only took about an hour and a half. Lots of time seemed to be involved in having it do it's 'magic' to render and download, but all I could do at that point was "hope".

I mis-spoke when I blurted out "helmet cam". What I was thinking was, there is a picture of my helmet on the camera. Guess I was over taken by joy in seeing myself on 'film'.

Here is a picture of the Kodak Zi8 in my home made chest holder. I also have a small remote that is stuck to the handlebar for easy function control. Gerry

·
Registered
286 Posts
I suspect I aquired some new skills and a little software 'tweeking' help alot. The video manipulation only took about an hour and a half. Lots of time seemed to be involved in having it do it's 'magic' to render and download, but all I could do at that point was "hope".

I mis-spoke when I blurted out "helmet cam". What I was thinking was, there is a picture of my helmet on the camera. Guess I was over taken by joy in seeing myself on 'film'.

Here is a picture of the Kodak Zi8 in my home made chest holder. I also have a small remote that is stuck to the handlebar for easy function control. Gerry

I admir your creativity....

I got a Kodak ZX3 last weekend for replacement of my broken waterproof camera, with remote control ...

The remote control seems LED type not the RF type, so I think that handle bar mount and point to the chest (camera) is good candidate >> thanks for the your setup tips..

Saw your new video and looks very nice and enjoyed alot.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Busyweb,

Does the ZX3 have remote capability? I haven't seen it listed as a feature in product reviews.

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of thse cameras.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Busyweb,

Does the ZX3 have remote capability? I haven't seen it listed as a feature in product reviews.

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of thse cameras.

Yes, some models have optional remote control; zi8, zx3, and some others !!!

I thought that remote control is RF type, but not. It's LED type like home TV or VCR is using.

So, remote control must be pointed to the camera Lens side where the receiver is located.

It works in great range, tried under the day-light condition and more than 10 feet >> works well.

PS: If really needed (for me or others), its range can be extended with some trick.

What I am thinking is add some RF module between Camera and Remote control.

1. at the remote control >> get LED signal >> convert to the RF signal

2. at the camera side >> get RF signal >> convert to LED light signal

Just a thought, because I want to take some my-self riding video or photo.

If it can be exteneded, I could trigger the Record button from far away of camera... ha ha ha

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a couple of things that helped me with my videos. I had to fiddle with the remote attachment point. At first it was on the right side of the h.bars because I had some extra metal there for mounting my 'clocks'. This turned out to be inconvenient because it did not make sense to take my right hand off the throttle, nor was it safe to move my left hand all the way across the bars to get to the remote. I afixed Velcro to the back of the remote and stuck it (remote) to some Velcro that I attached to the base of my left mirror.

Another problem I had was being sure if the camera was off or on. The remote only activates recording, but does not turn on the camera. I can hit the on/off button on the camera ok while riding, but am still not sure if I actually turned the unit on so the remote will work. The small convexed mirror now allows me to see the "red" light that shows, in fact, the camera has been turned on. Again, once the camera is on, I can control recording with the "easy to get to" remote. Hope this helps. Gerry

·
Registered
286 Posts
The small convexed mirror now allows me to see the "red" light that shows, in fact, the camera has been turned on. Again, once the camera is on, I can control recording with the "easy to get to" remote. Hope this helps.

Mr. Gerry...

That small mirror idea is the one that I might had to use it... ^^

Thanks again for solving the one of the issue with this chest setup.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks Gizmo, Great Video!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts