TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I fear I might be getting a reputation as someone that shows up for a ride only to find a reason not to ride. Then again, this might be an opportunity to show folks that when you are handed a lemon, it may be bitter fruit, but it affords you a chance to make lemonade.

The Cow Mountain ride was a memorable experience for all. I met lots of great people, was awed by what others are willing to do to make sure everyone has a safe and positive experience. As well, perhaps afforded an opportunity to put a smile on the faces of others.

This is an attempt to chronicle my little piece of the pie. Lots of editing to keep excerpts short, interesting and pertinent to the bike and my experience. Hope you enjoy. Likely, you will get a sense that it turned out to be a enjoyable way to spend three hours in a gas station parking lot.

As I may be a complete unknown to most, let me assure you, these video's are all done with tongue-in-cheek. I have not and am not selling anything. Apart from the frustration, I am just trying to have fun.
Gerry

Segment one:

Segment two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bx6AKnkV7E

Perhaps when I say I am a TW kind of guy, I am suggesting that I am Too Weird..........

·
Registered
567 Posts
There is only one way to fix that right, unfortunately it will be expensive. A custom one piece double sprocket where the outer sprocket takes as much of the spline load as possible and the inner is offset on a blind counter. Your way has worked quite a while, but I'd hate to hear that you sheared it out on the road where there is no nearby help, or worse, it causes injury when it lets go.

You may want to get in touch with this guy and explain what you need....
Unique Offset Front Sprocket Yamaha Made to Order | eBay

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
Jerry's dual sprocket goal is brilliant, and his prototype validated the concept. Just need a better way of joining both sprockets together for greater durability. Mr Gizmo shall ride again!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Just need a better way of joining both sprockets together for greater durability.

The best way to join them is not to join them (AKA, make two sprockets out of one piece), or If you want to use standard cheap replaceable front sprockets, use the TTR225 or XT200 counter-shaft, and then use a spline collar and doweled extension shaft with two free-floating stock XT225 sprockets separated by aluminum spacers.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The third way is have the TW counter-shaft annealed, and have a machinist extend the splines. The fourth way is (and I have no idea if this would work) assemble it like he has been, but use dowel pins instead of tension pins, make sure the spacer and pins are the right metal, then have the whole thing induction brazed. Just throw it away once it's worn, rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gerry,

You were the pioneer of the dual/dual sprocket setup. About how many miles did your first generation design survive?

Brian

Thanks Brian. My thought is I have about 2000 miles on the dual/dual sprocket setup. Likely, 99% of the time the chain has been set to run on the 14 tooth sister sprocket (splines machined off). Gerry

·
Registered
5,843 Posts

Thanks Brian. My thought is I have about 2000 miles on the dual/dual sprocket setup. Likely, 99% of the time the chain has been set to run on the 14 tooth sister sprocket (splines machined off). Gerry
That's really not too bad.

It is just unfortunate that it had to let go when it did and spoil your ride on Saturday. I am glad to hear it wasn't more serious.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's really not too bad.

It is just unfortunate that it had to let go when it did and spoil your ride on Saturday. I am glad to hear it wasn't more serious.

I am as well, glad it was not serious ($$$$). Personally, it seems to take a lot for me to 'connect-up' with group activities, so since I built up the metal to do so, I was disappointed it did not work out. The Gizmow bike crapping out was pretty much a non-issue. Stuff breaks, whether or not it is home made or produced by Yamaha. If you wake-up in the morning you take your chances for the next 24 hours. As it turned out, the timing was PERFECT...... As my original plan was to ride the Cow Mountain portion by myself on Friday to shorten my Saturday saddle time commitment. If the sprocket crapped out further along on the way to lake Pillsbury, a lot more time would have been spent on deciding what to do with/for mrgizmow. This I suspect would make for a much longer day, and more stress for everyone. Given the possibilities, we were lucky, and I was blessed. My focus was getting 'the rock' set someplace nice. It was, and I am happy. Plus I got to put together some pretty 'interesting' videos. Gerry

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Gerry,

I'd like to personally thank you for the memorial stone that you handcrafted for our departed friend Russ (lizrdbrth). It was very nicely done and I can assure you that the group treated it with respect and took care to find a suitable location for it in your absence. It was a sincere and generous effort on your part to make this stone.

Thanks,

The Cow Mountain Ride Group

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gerry,

I'd like to personally thank you for the memorial stone that you handcrafted for our departed friend Russ (lizrdbrth). It was very nicely done and I can assure you that the group treated it with respect and took care to find a suitable location for it in your absence. It was a sincere and generous effort on your part to make this stone.

Thanks,

The Cow Mountain Ride Group

Thanks so much. That means a lot to me............... Gerry

·
Registered
19,404 Posts
Gerry it was a pleasure meeting you and I really liked seeing all your TW farkelizations

Happy Trails

1 - 16 of 16 Posts