TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given I have not ridden more than 60 miles in the last year, it seemed about time I find another bike. At least in my mind, my TW is soooo set-up for adventure, is has become less suitable for putting around town. A couple of years ago I purchased a 1975 Honda CT90 expressly for that purpose. The purchase price for the Honda was 'fair', and the bike looked real clean. As these stories go, the rig had 'issues' and the purchase price of $500 was soon eclipsed by the repair costs.

As my current quest is to have something to 'swing a leg over', kick and simply putt around town, I kept a close eye on Craigs List.

Here is what I came up with. Likely, no more logical than a 1975 CT90, but at least a 1975 Suzuki has more power and a better suspension. Not to mention that when running, I don't have to listen to a rod-knock. Suspect the Suzuki will still need some attention, but it starts easily, compression feels good and will make a good 'Duel Sport' for around town and a visiting rider.

Take care. Gerry

·
Registered
312 Posts
hey what about buying another t-dub? if one is good 2=2times the fun? but i do like the suzuki tho. I have had 3 or 4 of those they are great bikes to.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The TS185's were solid. They were one of the engine choices that I discussed with Cliff Danger as replacements for his Minsk, "Lucy". Similar in appearance but 300 times more reliable. lol.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
that is a real survivor, what a sweet looking ride. .... though somehow i'm not convinced that you won't find several ways to improve and personalize it. ;)

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
WOW! That looks great to me. A 2 stroke!! I have always loved 2 strokes. Easy to work on, lots of power and lite weight. Does it have an automatic oiler or do you have to mix it? Add an expansion chamber ( or whatever the high performance exhaust is called nowadays) and fiddling around with the sprocket ratio and that thing will run rings around a TW. Good score Gerry! I love it. Tony

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hi Gerry,

The bike looks to be in great condition. Surely there will be at least one or two gizmos to be added. :)

jb

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
Nice older bike and looks like it's been well cared for. Have fun with this new bike and/or project.;)

Glad you still peak into the forum from time to time.

Take Care
Kris

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Wow, that a nice clean example of a classic bike. Congratulations! It's great to hear from you, and hope you let us know how things are going with the new bike. Didn't the TS185's have a dual range transmission?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure is GREAT to hear from so many old FRIENDS... In response to some of your questions; yes this motor has a built-in oil injection pump. I understand that the design has proven very reliable, and helped make Suzuki's of this period capable of racking up some impressive 'total miles' before a major engine rebuild. This is only as compared with other 2 strokes. Indeed, a duel range transmission seemed to be offered by Suzuki around this time. I 'suspect' it was seen mostly on 125cc bikes as my impression of the 185 suggests it has enough horse power to deal with any condition. Seems rather odd to me, but then I am not a mechanic, nor engineer. I was VERY surprised at the performance difference between a used 30+ year old 2 stroke and my 4 stroke TW. Engine size between the two bikes is pretty much the same, and for me and my style of riding, lifting the front end is not a sought after feature. Guess I could do it with the TW if I wanted. First impressions are, I need to use care to not elevate the front in at least the first three gears even when reving and shifting at conservative rpm's.
More than anything else, I enjoy a project. The first 'mrgizmow' mod was turning a quart sized stainless steel water container into a 'silencer'. At my age the 'bat-bat-bat' of the two stroke exhaust is not a plus. I would rather hear birds than my engine. Then again, I understand compromise.
As getting another bike was hard to justify, particularly something close to 40 years old. The seller suggested that the engine likely would need new crank seals to insure top performance. I was happy to find an online 'dealership' was able to provide them, plus case and exhaust pipe gaskets for a reasonable price.
After purchasing a connecting rod from Thailand and sending the crankshaft back east for pressing, my hope is to get the CT90 back on the road. Not sure what I will be doing with this machine. Though it has been nearly brought to like 'really great' condition ( seals, valves, piston/rings, tires, forks, clutch, shifting, carburetor.....). The step thru frame and auto trans are nice for around town, but geeezzz, so much time and money leaves me feeling a bit disenchanted with this rig. Take care, good to hear from each and every one of you............. Gerry

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Gerry,

First, it is so good to hear from you again!

Second, Congratulations on scoring that beautiful looking low mileage bike. It is a beauty. It is unbelievable that it is almost 40 years old.

Please keep us updated on your 2-stoke escapades. (And you know we REALLY want you to send us a wheelie picture).

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
I forgot to add that if there is a second spark plug hole a good option is to put in a compression release. Not for starting but to slow you down or control speed going down a long dirt hill. It has been a long time since I used one but I remember them working very well. If you already know this then it is just a friendly reminder.

Something like this: New Compression Release Kit Suzuki RM TM DS PE 100 125 175 250 370 400 | eBay

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reminder and link Tony. I had and used the compression release on an old Sachs 125. Much better than the brakes on really steep descents. Gerry

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I'm crying! I had three TS-185's including a 1975. All three where great bikes. Easy to work on and they never broke down even racing Hare Scrambles. Also the TS had the 21" front tire and a five speed. The TC had a 19" front tire and the dual range trans. Never knew why Suzuki put different size wheels on them.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Unless their making them alot better than the 70's I'd pass. I used them on my flat tracker and the T.S. and learned to carry a spare cable with me at all times. Seems the little end cap was always coming off the cable. Also you had to remove and de-carbon them often to keep them working. Had one stick open way back on the trail but as I had a spare plug it was not a big deal.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Unless their making them alot better than the 70's I'd pass. I used them on my flat tracker and the T.S. and learned to carry a spare cable with me at all times. Seems the little end cap was always coming off the cable. Also you had to remove and de-carbon them often to keep them working. Had one stick open way back on the trail but as I had a spare plug it was not a big deal.
Maybe I just got a good one but I never had any trouble with mine. It seemed everybody had them way back then. I really liked the way they worked but if they are going to cause trouble then for sure don't use it.

Edit: I have been thinking about it and now I remember doing maintenance on it, but I think it was routine maintenance, something I did every so often -- maybe that is why it didn't give me any trouble......it has been a long time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts