TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sort of a continuation of which type of cargo carrier to use that Ripshod started in the performance and customization thread.

The TW is commonly referred too as the "Mule". With that said, a couple of weeks ago I was moving some old railroad ties around the "Ranch" (I have 10 acres, that qualifies as a ranch doesn't it?
), and because I didn't have readlily available access to the in-laws atv, I decided to TRY and use the Mule.

My M.O. was to use a chain around the RR Tie and hook it to the mule. Well as you can guess by the title and the related topic Ripshod started, I hooked it to the cycle racks. Today I finished the job and took some photo's for your viewing pleasure of the little mule in action.

Did I take into consideration of what could go wrong? Well, sort of! I went slow making sure I wouldn't tip over!
I didn't really worry at the time of what could go wrong or what damage could occur to the cycle racks, but in the end...paint scratches is all, which I don't care about.

And what you don't see in the pictures is Ol' Georgie had to ride along, increasing the already unstable keeping my balance issue. Anyway, I'm here to write about it, so all is well.

Real Mule Logging.

My version of TW Mule Logging.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow, thanks for the pics. I've got some cut logs to move out of the woods around our place, can't get to them with the truck, never thought of using the Tdub. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow? Gotta get them moved afore the snow flies. Pictures at 11.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is sort of a continuation of which type of cargo carrier to use that Ripshod started in the performance and customization thread.

The TW is commonly referred too as the "Mule". With that said, a couple of weeks ago I was moving some old railroad ties around the "Ranch" (I have 10 acres, that qualifies as a ranch doesn't it?
), and because I didn't have readlily available access to the in-laws atv, I decided to TRY and use the Mule.

My M.O. was to use a chain around the RR Tie and hook it to the mule. Well as you can guess by the title and the related topic Ripshod started, I hooked it to the cycle racks. Today I finished the job and took some photo's for your viewing pleasure of the little mule in action.

Did I take into consideration of what could go wrong? Well, sort of! I went slow making sure I wouldn't tip over!
I didn't really worry at the time of what could go wrong or what damage could occur to the cycle racks, but in the end...paint scratches is all, which I don't care about.

And what you don't see in the pictures is Ol' Georgie had to ride along, increasing the already unstable keeping my balance issue. Anyway, I'm here to write about it, so all is well.

Real Mule Logging.

My version of TW Mule Logging.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Very interesting use of the T Dub!

If you wanted to do this again and not scratch the rack, a loop of nylon webbing could be attached to the rack and the chain attached to the webbing. I use loops of webbing when strapping down the motorcycle to a trailer, but the same concept would apply here.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If you plan on doing more of this, you should make a "low-tow-hitch" that will grab the swing arm just in front of the axle. A U shaped bar with a way to mount temporarily to the swingarm and kept up off the ground with a rope or chain up to the rear fender. You'll be surprised how stable that can be.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i think your dog seat is more awesome than pulling the logs. i always love the pics of your dog on the back. it seems like a cool dog.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Now, I want to tell the others when they ask me "What is your bike?"

"It's a MULE!"

ha ha ha

Thanks for the sharing the tw's job.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Heh. Reminds me of back in the day when we'd bend up the front end of a sheet of roofing tin, knock a hole in it to thread a rope, and tie it off to the luggage rack on my Suzuki TS80. We took turns pulling as many guys as would fit on the tin around through the cow pasture. You had to bend up the front end 'cause if you didn't it'd chop off the cow patties at ground level and fling them up at the face of the guy at the front. Learned that trick through trial and error, of course.

It's a wonder any of us made it to 16 with all our members intact.

·
Registered
231 Posts
cycleracks are awesome. tws are awesome. georgie is awesome.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Heh, heh. That's cool. I'd like to see the video!

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope most of you see that I like to inject a little humor into postings. My wife just shakes her head at what I think up sometimes. Unfortunately, its sometimes hard to express one's humor in pictures and words...but I try!

I'm a visual picker-up'er or learner as they say, so this is why I post pictures when I can. Others do the same, and this has been very helpful. With the cycleracks discussion that was going on, I thought I would show my experience of what I used the rack for and its strength.

Of course wrapping a chain around the rack and hooking it up to a log, or railroad tie in this case, it probably not the best of idea's. Although this "mule logging" did work, I thought of as a one time task, and to show off the cycleracks.

However.......Lewis54 and srs713 have given me some tips, which I will have to consider. Now I'm thinking, what else can I use the TW to haul around, with improvements mentioned by you all. Now the wheels are turning, he he! And I'm with you Ripshod, I have no ideal how I made it this far in life after the things I've done. I do use the in-laws atv to pull around the girls when it snows...TW probably not.

Ever since BusyWeb and mrgizmow, starting putting in some video, I been drooling at the thought of it too. My request for camera equipment has yet to be approved by the Finance Minister, so still photo's will have to do for now. Besides, I haven't figured out how to get Georgie to operate the camera, if I had one. Why? Cause dogs don't have opposable thumbs and have a hard time holding the camera!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I've done lot's of dragging with my trail 90. With the big cargo rack, the granny low sub-transmission and the automatic clutch. I would have kept it but the seat on that thing was horrible for any kind of distance riding. With all the grunt my tw has if I'm dragging something heavy is there a chance for a < wheelie > big problem if I get on the throttle to much.....?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I willing to bet that left a mark.

Or 6.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts