TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 TW 200
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently joined here and have two tdubs, 2008 and 2021. I’ve been looking at all of the sprocket threads because I have one bike in FL and the other in MA. My riding is about 80% street and stock is fine for the around town I do in FL. Problem is in MA. I’m road-locked in by a few highways between me and access to many of the places I’d like to get to.

I’m thinking that a dual (or possibly triple) sprocket combo might be the way to deal with that. Using a higher speed setup to get there then swapping once I’m in the target riding area. My question is less about ratios and more about the multi sprocket setups. What do I need to consider as far as spacers, bolt lengths, chain lengths etc and moving from one configuration to the other when setting up then using these? Tried a search but didn’t come up with much of anything so if there’s already a thread on this just pointing me to that would be much appreciated.

G-dub

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
This thread will be your friend.

Reactions: Scooterbrained

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I just used standard hardware store nuts, bolts, and washers and then used the trial and error method until I found something that worked. Not very scientific, but effective.

Same for chain fitting. Buy a longer chain to start with (I used a 132 link length plus a few extra master links) and cut it to fit the smallest sprocket combination you will be using. Then cut the additional chain segment(s) that you will need for the larger sprocket combination(s) you will be using.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Multiple sprockets, that's wild. Never heard of that. Is there a perfect set of two front and two rear sprockets that can utilize one length of chain? For example, like a 13 front and 55 rear for off-road use, and then the second setup of a 15 front and 48 rear for highway use? But with whatever numbers make the chain the same length for both setups? Or am I not considering something?

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
I used a dual rear sprocket set up a few years back. While out on a ride I changed sprockets a grand total of 1 time. It wasn't that difficult or time-consuming but for the type of riding, I do it wasn't necessary for a dual sprocket. I haven't used a dual-sprocket setup since and just set up the best compromise of dirt and a little pavement with a single sprocket. For me, it was an interesting concept that I just didn't use enough to keep it. But you'll never know if it works for you if you don't try if it's something you're toying with. BTW, I used one chain length for the 2 sprockets. 14-50/55.

Reactions: Purple

·
Registered
161 Posts
I used a dual rear sprocket set up a few years back. While out on a ride I changed sprockets a grand total of 1 time. It wasn't that difficult or time-consuming but for the type of riding, I do it wasn't necessary for a dual sprocket. I haven't used a dual-sprocket setup since and just set up the best compromise of dirt and a little pavement with a single sprocket. For me, it was an interesting concept that I just didn't use enough to keep it. But you'll never know if it works for you if you don't try if it's something you're toying with. BTW, I used one chain length for the 2 sprockets. 14-50/55.
How the one chain? All done at the tensioner?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The issue I have with Mr. Gizmow's setup, is that when using the outer (smaller) rear sprocket....the chain will be out of alignment with the front.
Will this make a huge difference in chain/sprocket longevity or is it negligible?
Will the misalignment make it more prone to derailment?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts