TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 15 years ago I pulled the motor out of my 750 hoping to freshen it up and fix a few small issues.Well the bike is still in pieces and I can't stop thinking about getting her back together so I started gathering parts and yesterday I ordered a big bore kit because I couldn't find the 1st over size pistons I was hoping to put in.All thats left now is some bearings and the primary chain and my baby will live again.I got the bike when I was 17 and I turn 50 this summer and my daughter is 17 now so it seems that this is the year.I can't wait to hear the sound of that old 750 again.
I just hope my wife doesn't find all the receipts or I may never ride again.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Haha, my 77 KZ has been in a few pieces for a little over a year now, hope I dont go a full 17 years like you :)

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Question on the 750's. I've had older ones and recently sat on one of the new classic 1100's at the dealer. It felt different, like the seat wasn't high enough or the pegs needed to be lowered or something. It wasn't comfortable to me ergonomically, but they used to be...what's up?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Hey LT..... maybe you don't fit the bike like you used to????? Rather than the bike not fitting you????? I know I don't fit many things like I used to. lol I have a moto centric bag on the back of my 99 TW...I have trouble getting my leg over top of it if I don't take special effort. And I used to be able to "swing up" on a 15 hand horse without any trouble. Just sayin'.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Hey LT..... maybe you don't fit the bike like you used to????? Rather than the bike not fitting you????? I know I don't fit many things like I used to. lol I have a moto centric bag on the back of my 99 TW...I have trouble getting my leg over top of it if I don't take special effort. And I used to be able to "swing up" on a 15 hand horse without any trouble. Just sayin'.

Tom, you are probably exactly right. I have always loved those old CB's and back when I had them, I was a hundred lbs. lighter, much younger and more limber etc. I was just surprised when I sat on one at the dealer, it felt like it was 3 inches different and my legs were cramped up?? Even now though, I'd still like to have another one. Wonder if the seat height is the same as the old ones from the 70's? The new one's also felt like they had softer suspensions.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Are you going to go all out and update the swingarm bushings and steering head bearings? I was happy to find out most of the little tricks could still be had on-line.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just want to get it running for now.I did the steering head bearings already and the swing arm bushings will get done at some point too when the budget allows.I'm not looking to make it a show or race bike I just want to ride it again.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Awesome, I'd love to see some photos when you get her running.
I have a '73 CB500 languishing but she was a basket case when I got her so I am doing what I can as I can and I know it will be a long-term project.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My dad had the same exact bike in bright yellow. I rode a CB 450 twin along side him. I'd love to see pics as well.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The shop shipped my cylinders to Quebec to be machined and I just ordered carb boots and 4 air filters.It's getting late in the season and with all the hunting seasons opening up soon it looks like I won't have it ready till spring but at least things are progressing.

·
Registered
474 Posts
About 15 years ago I pulled the motor out of my 750 hoping to freshen it up and fix a few small issues.Well the bike is still in pieces and I can't stop thinking about getting her back together so I started gathering parts and yesterday I ordered a big bore kit because I couldn't find the 1st over size pistons I was hoping to put in.All thats left now is some bearings and the primary chain and my baby will live again.I got the bike when I was 17 and I turn 50 this summer and my daughter is 17 now so it seems that this is the year.I can't wait to hear the sound of that old 750 again.
I just hope my wife doesn't find all the receipts or I may never ride again.
How many miles were are on motor that needs freshened up? I thought these things ran forever.....

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It had a little over 50000km on it but it was starting to burn some oil through the valve guides and the cam chain was a little sloppy.I probably should have just addressed those issues and rode on but I went big instead

1 - 17 of 17 Posts