TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to go for a ride this evening and my bike cranked and cranked but wouldn't start. I charged it up then went to crank it up later. It then lost all power at the key. I am guessing it may be the fuse but I haven't looked at it yet. Once I get the electrical working I am going to check the timing tensioner and the valves to make sure they are all ok. Any other ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Next time you give it a try if it doesn't start right away check for spark. Basic mechanics dictates that engines need 3 things to run, air, fuel and fire. Air is almost never the problem, fuel also means is the mixture correct but fire is about the easiest thing to check to make sure the spark is bright blue and not orange or none existent. If all 3 things check out Ok then it is likely a mechanical problem such as timing either with the valves or ignition. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Once battery is fully re-charged and fuse checked/replaced:
1. What is battery voltage, (a) key off, (b) key on, (c) while cranking?
2. As Miaugi asked, is there spark?
3. When plug pulled to check spark, is it wet or dry?
4. How long since last started and what is age/miles?
5. Fuel:
a. How old?
b. Any chance of water at the bottom of the tank?
c. Petcock screen clear of debris?
d. Enrichener working?
e. Will it start with a shot of starter fluid?
f. Pilot jet clear?
g. Float valve clear?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will start checking it out after my current project. I'll keep everyone up to date as to what the issue was. I'm just use to hopping on it and going.

·
Registered
20,499 Posts
Good luck Ken and keep us posted of any progress or pitfalls. Hopefully you will get back on the road after something simple.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Best of luck to you Ken. I'm in the "spark" camp, but who knows. You'll figure it out.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
You also need compression to run.
Yes. Compression tester is handy, but if none, then finger over the spark plug hole will give a good indication
If no hole in piston, rings are not extremely worn and valves fully close, then proceed with spark and fuel checks (post 2).

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got around to a quick check on My bike today. The battery is fully charged. I am able to start it with the kick starter and only on reserve. I think the petcock on the main is clogged. I knew my tank was full. I think that was mainly why it wouldn't start. Now the next issue is that electric seems to die when I try to use the starter. It is also clicking. I am thinking maybe it's the relay.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
It's the battery. How often do you read here about failed relays? ;):D
I got around to a quick check on My bike today. The battery is fully charged. I am able to start it with the kick starter and only on reserve. I think the petcock on the main is clogged. I knew my tank was full. I think that was mainly why it wouldn't start. Now the next issue is that electric seems to die when I try to use the starter. It is also clicking. I am thinking maybe it's the relay.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Hook up your voltmeter to the battery. What is it sitting and what is it cranking?
I will hook up another battery to it first and give that a shot.

Reactions: Miaugi

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hook up your voltmeter to the battery. What is it sitting and what is it cranking?
Yes
+1
Ditto
Amen

If fully charged, a lead-acid battery will be 12.6, an AGM 12.8
When cranking, reading should not be under 10.5

If a bad cell, the other cells will overcharge, then the bad cell not put out volts under load.

If I were a gambler (I live in Las Vegas but do NOT gamble), I would bet you have a reading considerably less than 10.5 while cranking.

If not the battery, then check both ends of both battery cables.

Then, if all seems OK check voltage drop across the starter solenoid.

Reactions: littletommy
1 - 13 of 13 Posts